Started on: 04-13-2011 06:17 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: Gall757 on 04-22-2011 06:24 PM
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Ok... very strange. I jacked up the 88 2.5L to fix something. I ran the car in the air and it ran just like normal. I lower the car and start it and it starts and dies. I thought.... well, I am low on fuel, nope, I added more (5 gal) and nothing changes. I see fuel spray when it cranks but then the fuel stops and the car stalls. I tried added some fuel down the TBI and it seems to run longer.

I checked the fuel pressure and it is about 9.5psi (based on the vac. guage I have). I also ran the fuel pump through terminal G and nothing changes.

So, what should I check next. What causes the injector to stop firing? I can't find my extra ignition module/coil pack to see if that is causing a problem, but I can't locate it.

I just need to fix it so I can sell it. It runs good, but this is strange.

suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Yank some wires/grounds in engine area is my guess.
Jack it up again and see if it work.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-13-2011).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
had to be something related to the injector. I removed it, ran the pump, put the injector back. Nothing. I grounded the blue wire and cranked. Nothing. It must have flooded the engine as I took off the ground and floored it to clear the gas out and it started after some coughing. It has been running and restarting ever sense. I wonder if I had something stuck in the injector (varish)?

Anyway, I am putting it back together and I will be selling it.

Anyone else have some theories? BTW, I was using an 86 manual and the color or location of the ecm wires is different, so I couldn't check continuity. Anyone have the schematics for the 88 ECM connections?

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 04-13-2011).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
problem came back... it will stall when running, Time to part out. Watch in the mall for parts.

Unless someone has an idea of what to check next. The injector just quits firing, but it will fire when cranking. playing with the ecm wires doesn't change anything. Or playing with the harness, no change. Could it be a bad ECM?

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 04-14-2011).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Injector will not fire when ground using blue wire?
Injector should had firing right away when key is on. "Signal" for ECM to fire injector ground blue wire.

Injector is bad. Unlikely but can happen.
Injector doesn't have good connection or bad wiring.
Fuse is blow or get crappy connection. But same fuse runs ECM so ECM get a good check engine light likely fuse is good.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, this worked. I was able to turn on the fuel pump and jump the injector and it sprayed nicely. Now last time I tried this, the injector didn't fire.

Which connector and number is the blue (and red) wire at the ECM connection? My 86 manual doesn't seem to be correct. I can check for continuity. I suspect a sticking injector or a bad ecm (maybe gets hot and stops the connection)? At least I can test this now.

Thanks! Plus for you (if I didn't give you one already)

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 04-14-2011).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Here's a pic from the 88 shop manual:

Fix the car so I'm not tempted to buy it. I told myself no more four cylinder Fieros...
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
And download 88 SM... http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

------------------
(Jurassic Park)

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I will check the continuity tonight, but I have a feeling it is the injector or ecm, as why would it fire then die? There is a question... is there a difference when it cranks and runs vs running.... does the ECM do anything different? I guess I could have a problem where the ECM heats up and then causes this problem.

More troubleshooting coming tonight.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Key on when you ground the blue wire - the injector should click.

Key on, fuel pump wired on, the injector should spray when the blue wire is grounded. If the injector isn't spraying then either you don't have fuel pressure, you don't have +12v on the red wire, or you have a bad injector.

Have a fire extinisher handy whenever you work on the injector like this. Also not that you can have a flare up if you make a spark at the injector and start gas in the manifold on fire.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-15-2011).]

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
we have seen this before did you have the cap off the distributor? if so you may have pinched one of the wires it will kill the injector and the spark.
and depending on how bad it was pinched it will work sometimes but not otners.
D.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
88 use DIS. No cap....
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

88 use DIS. No cap....

Oops! did not see the year, my bad.

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
When i jump the injector sometimes it sticks open now. I wonder if the injector is bad after all.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
If the injector sticks open it is bad. It snaps open and closed every rotation of the crank. How long it is open is determined by the ECM speed of the crank, the temperature of the engine and the vacuum of the intake. There is more than enough time for the injector to snap open and closed during the rotation of the crank when the engine is rotating at 6000 rpm and for it to give the intake a full shot of fuel. If it sticks open even for a short while the engine WILL flood out and stall.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-16-2011).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I am jumping the injector, so I am making the injector do something it shouldn't normally do... but sticking shouldn't happen anyway, correct?

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 04-16-2011).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002
lastest... I can get it to run if I rev it up to 3K.... it wants to die, so I let off the gas and it drops to 1K and I give it gas, it stumbles back to life... repeat over and over.

It will not idle and it will not run at any RPM, it keeps wanting to stall. No codes are coming up.

If I had an extra injector I would swap it, but I can't see dropping $100 on a guess for a $600 car that I am selling. Also, to sell it, I need to buy a battery, so I might as well just sell it as is or part it out, unless someone has a good 87-88 TBI laying around they want to let me use to see if that is the problem.

Sigh.. I have a bunch of V6 engine parts, but not 4cyl.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
What you are doing is what the ECM does multiple times a second. Unless you are keeping it energized for long times it is exactly what the ECM does. So yeah if it's sticking that is your problem. Check with the MALL section and buy one cheap.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
New injectors are about $40 on ebay, and there's a few junkyards in the state that have an entire TBI, might call them and see how much + shipping

What about a clogged fuel filter? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Some auto parts stores lend them out for a deposit, not sure if any in Da Soo would, though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...fPartsQ5fAccessories
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, but I would rather not spend even $50 (plus shipping)..... I am at the point where i can part it out and make the same amount or even more, so the more I put into it, the less I make on selling it.

As for junkyards, I can check on that, but I doubt they would be less than $20 shipped (which is about what I am willing to spend on this car at this point).
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Fixed with replacement injector!
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Another Fiero saved from oblivion.....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock