winALDL usb by newcoolcat
Started on: 03-03-2011 08:05 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Dodgerunner on 03-06-2011 07:39 PM
newcoolcat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newcoolcatClick Here to visit newcoolcat's HomePageSend a Private Message to newcoolcatDirect Link to This Post
I've got the usb to aldl connector. How do i get my software to recognize the link? I'm thinking there was a CD that came with the cable that I can't find now.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NJD85GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NJD85GTSend a Private Message to NJD85GTDirect Link to This Post
Don't know if this helps, in WinALDL there was an option to select the com port under configuration. I had to scroll through the options till it recognized it.
My computer also has Win 7 64bit. I never got a CD, my computer knew I plugged something in.

Nate
newcoolcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newcoolcatClick Here to visit newcoolcat's HomePageSend a Private Message to newcoolcatDirect Link to This Post
I'm running a 64 bit windows 7 as well. it recognized i plugged something in, but the winALDL program never made the connection
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
What usb to ALDL connector? No disk with it?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
You probably need to set up a virtual serial port for the USB if it wasn't done automatically.
newcoolcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newcoolcatClick Here to visit newcoolcat's HomePageSend a Private Message to newcoolcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

You probably need to set up a virtual serial port for the USB if it wasn't done automatically.

exactly! but how do i do that?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
First... go to device manager and look under ports.
most ports are recognized by Windows. it should be listed there and without the install notice.

if is not installed automatically it should show up as the yellow warning

if it doesn't show up in either category then the device is dead as far as Windows is concerned.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-04-2011).]

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-04-2011 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
WinALDL requires direct access to the pins in the serial port, which is why it was hit or miss working with USB converters; some converters were good about converting and some not so good. I was also under the impression that everything from XP-up added a layer between the OS and hardware that effectively blocked WinALDL device calls. Has anyone actually got WinALDL to work with USB and newer OSs?
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I've had several users use my cable and adaptor on Vista and I believe on W7 also.

I have winaldl running on W7Pro and a USB adaptor talking to a 4 cyl ecm as I type this..

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 03-04-2011).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

WinALDL requires direct access to the pins in the serial port, which is why it was hit or miss working with USB converters; some converters were good about converting and some not so good. I was also under the impression that everything from XP-up added a layer between the OS and hardware that effectively blocked WinALDL device calls. Has anyone actually got WinALDL to work with USB and newer OSs?

They are talking about this etc... http://fierostore.com/Produ...px?s=51415&d=263&p=1
Not USB Serial port adapter with serial ALDL board/connector.

And Using adapter will work IF adapter supports custom baud rate. GM uses nonstandard bit rates. Many adapters can't, they only support modem etc standards.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

newcoolcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newcoolcatClick Here to visit newcoolcat's HomePageSend a Private Message to newcoolcatDirect Link to This Post
I think i may have figured it out. The VCP is good, so now i just need to plug it into the car and see if I can get some data. It was just a matter of downloading the driver software i think
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
TunerPro RT works with my usb cable from aldlcable.com
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-04-2011 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

I've had several users use my cable and adaptor on Vista and I believe on W7 also.

I have winaldl running on W7Pro and a USB adaptor talking to a 4 cyl ecm as I type this..

WinALDL? http://winaldl.joby.se/

It appears that he's written it to address the physical pins in the serial port by directly writing to the UART, hmmm....

I'll have to get a USB serial adapter and see if I can hook one of my newer XP Pro laptops up to my Fiero. I built my own cable long ago.
newcoolcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newcoolcatClick Here to visit newcoolcat's HomePageSend a Private Message to newcoolcatDirect Link to This Post
i think i forgot to adjust the configuration. the fiero has a 7170 right?
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Yes for the V6 that is correct.
newcoolcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newcoolcatClick Here to visit newcoolcat's HomePageSend a Private Message to newcoolcatDirect Link to This Post
i still don't think it's working quite right. are the default configurations right? (other than the ecm)
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Other then the ecm and com port the defaults should work ok.

You can test your usb adaptor using a terminal emulator like HyperTerminal etc.
Set it for the com port the adaptor should be on. Set the hand shake to NONE. Short between pins 2 and 3 and type on the keyboard. It should echo back to the screen if all is working.
There are lots of terminal programs, I just use Hyperterimal since it's easy. If you have access to a XP system you can copy over the two files to Win7 or Vista and use it...
Or you can download Termite. Be sure you turn off local echo. http://www.compuphase.com/software_termite.htm
Type something and hit enter and it should echo to the window.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 03-04-2011).]

newcoolcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newcoolcatClick Here to visit newcoolcat's HomePageSend a Private Message to newcoolcatDirect Link to This Post
Figured it out. The default baud was wrong

How do i extract the datalogs to send to darth or anyone else?
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
fire up winaldl. Click on Datalogger button. When it opens select just Sensor Data (really don't need the rest) and click Start to save the data in a dated file in the winaldl folder the software installed into. When done just click stop to end the log.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 03-06-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock