Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Fastback to Notchie swap woes (no brake lights)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Fastback to Notchie swap woes (no brake lights) by Dave E Bouy
Started on: 02-05-2011 04:59 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Dave E Bouy on 02-06-2011 06:11 PM
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post
It's not like it sounds. I have a notchie that I am adding stock a/c so I have a donor interior harness from a Fastback connected to a notchie tail light harness at c500. I am getting signal lights but for the life of me I cannot get the brake lights to work. I have tried about everything I can think of including the reverse of what ppl have suggested for the fastback swap in threads found here on Pennocks. I'm buffaloed. Can anyone help?

Dave
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a center high light and does it light with the pedal?

Swing down the fuse block (squeeze the releases on both sides and swing it down) With the fuse still in place, check to see if you have power on both the right and left test points on the back of the STOP HAZ fuse.

Check to see if the hazard lights do anything when you push the switch.
Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Do you have a center high light and does it light with the pedal?

Swing down the fuse block (squeeze the releases on both sides and swing it down) With the fuse still in place, check to see if you have power on both the right and left test points on the back of the STOP HAZ fuse.

Check to see if the hazard lights do anything when you push the switch.

I should have mentioned that I do have power at both J9 and G7 with brakes applied at c500 on the female side of the connector. On the male side I don't have a single pin in the G row. I have tried jumping wires from both J9 and G7 to both signal wires and I get brake lights. However when I turn on a signal light I get no signal.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave E Bouy (edited 02-05-2011).]

Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I think what may be contributing to some confusion is that the '86 service manual has a mistake and two omissions regarding the pinout of C500 for the rear brake lights. Regardless, if you installed a fastback harness, forward of the engine firewall starting at C500, you should have been able to plug the notchie rear half of the harness directly into the C500 and it should have worked.

To reset everything where it was, unplug C500 and check the following:

1. the front chassis half (new fastback harness) should have a white wire at G7, and a white wire at H8;
2. If there is no white wire at G7, but a blue one at J9, then pull the plastic pin-retaining clip out of the side of C500 (looks like a fork with many tines when removed), then use a bobby pin to release the metal retaining tang on pin J9, and reinsert it into G7;
3. on the rear chassis half of C500 (originally your notchie harness), make sure there is a white wire in pin G7 and one in H8.

Once that's done, everything should work when plugged in. Post what you find if things aren't configured as above.

Edit: erased some extraneous stuff)

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 02-05-2011).]

Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I think what may be contributing to some confusion is that the '86 service manual has a mistake and two omissions regarding the pinout of C500 for the rear brake lights. Regardless, if you installed a fastback harness, forward of the engine firewall starting at C500, you should have been able to plug the notchie rear half of the harness directly into the C500 and it should have worked.

1. the front chassis half (new fastback harness) should have a white wire at G7, and a white wire at H8;
2. If there is no white wire at G7, but a blue one at J9, then pull the plastic pin-retaining clip out of the side of C500 (looks like a fork with many tines when removed), then use a bobby pin to release the metal retaining tang on pin J9, and reinsert it into G7;
3. on the rear chassis half of C500 (originally your notchie harness), make sure there is a white wire in pin G7 and one in H8.

Once that's done, everything should work when plugged in. Post what you find if things aren't configured as above.

Alright Blooz. It's after 8pm so I'll give that a go sometime tomorrow and let you know. Thanx

Dave

Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Nope that's not going to work either. On the fast back (female side) of the c500 I do have a white wires at both G7 and H8 as well as a light blue at J9, but on the male side (notchie tail light harness) there is no white wire at G7. In fact there is no white wire on the tail light harness at all.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Please tell me that the notchie wire harness isn't from an '84. The '84's were wired quite differently. If it's an '85 and up notchie harness, the problem is that you are missing the jumper wire on the male side of the connector (notchie tail light harness) that just loops from G7 to H8. It only needs to be a couple inches long.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Yes... That jumper is needed to "program" the main wiring harness for tail light option. fastback = no jumper or notchie = jumper.
84 and 85 notchie needs mod(s) in C500.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-06-2011).]

Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post
Yep that did it guys thank you very much. I don't know why my notchie wouldn't have had that loop. My tail light harness even had a pin in J9 that ran to the cooling fan in the trunk. Go figure. But it's all good now.

Thanx
Dave

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock