Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  2.8 Exhaust sound -SWEET Does any one know?? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
2.8 Exhaust sound -SWEET Does any one know?? by RUNDLC
Started on: 06-18-2010 05:24 PM
Replies: 87
Last post by: Francis T on 10-15-2011 09:58 AM
redraif

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
ok wow... Awesome! I have a 3.4 in my firebird and I'm pretty sure I could not imagine it could ever sound like that.

I have the pf&e headers that were modified to have the collectors go into a custom 2.5 y-pipe. Then the y goes into 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust all the way back to a flowmaster and quad tips... The idle is pretty nice, but it rasps out so bad at high rpm. I would love the high rpms to pull that sound. I so hope someone can figure the recipe out!

it was so evident in my dyno pull how desperately I need a better sound on my top end.
IP: Logged
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-05-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by redraif:
ok wow... Awesome! I have a 3.4 in my firebird and I'm pretty sure I could not imagine it could ever sound like that.

I have the pf&e headers that were modified to have the collectors go into a custom 2.5 y-pipe. Then the y goes into 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust all the way back to a flowmaster and quad tips... The idle is pretty nice, but it rasps out so bad at high rpm. I would love the high rpms to pull that sound. I so hope someone can figure the recipe out!

it was so evident in my dyno pull how desperately I need a better sound on my top end.

Your exhaust is too big, and not tuned for your engine.
DMendez7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DMendez7Send a Private Message to DMendez7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

The car in the video has a stock 2.8. The exhaust system was fabricated there in Taiwan by a guy that knew exhaust tuning. It uses a small diesel resonator, with not cat, or muffler. I actually was in contact with one of the guys there that knew this car. The car has been sitting for a number of years but still has the system on it. Another member here on the forum was trying to duplicate this exhaust, but I am not sure if he ever finished it. Even it did not improve the performance of the engine, I would purchase it for the great sound it makes.

That sums everything up for all the info obtained in a whole year so sad. Haha it sounds so sexy though, i agree with you rick i dont care about performance, someone just needs to get on it.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
The reason a lot of people have not tried this yet is the cost along with the risk of making an entire exhaust and having it shound like complete garbage...or stock... to where it has to be scrapped. Unless you are a DIY'er and have welding skills and access to cheap metal piping...or have a deep wallet, not too many people are going to try this.
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2011 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSDirect Link to This Post
I think a lot of the sound depends on removing obstructions in the exhaust system. The manifolds are the usual one, but the crossover pipe contains a significant restriction that people don't normally address.

My turbo has stock manifolds, hogged out in the usual manner, a custom crossover pipe (the turbo unit mounts to this) without restrictions, and a couple of quite small resonators (the turbo itself adds significant muffling of sound), and it sounds far different and far better than just about any other Fiero V6 I've heard.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:
I think a lot of the sound depends on removing obstructions in the exhaust system. The manifolds are the usual one, but the crossover pipe contains a significant restriction that people don't normally address.

My turbo has stock manifolds, hogged out in the usual manner, a custom crossover pipe (the turbo unit mounts to this) without restrictions, and a couple of quite small resonators (the turbo itself adds significant muffling of sound), and it sounds far different and far better than just about any other Fiero V6 I've heard.

The sound isn't a result of removing obstructions in the exhaust system. It is a result of obstructions being there. Every bend in the pipe, and every change of size, is an obstruction. Simply porting the manifolds and Y-pipe might alter the sound a little, but isn't going to make a big change in flow or sound. Even the design of the intake has a slight affect on the sound, as there is a bit of overlap in most cams, where intake and exhaust valves are both slightly open, just before the exhaust valve closes. The most efficient exhaust system will be tuned to match up with the engine's firing order and cam timing, so that the exhaust flows smoothly and quickly, out of the system.

On your turbo, you are probably getting a lot of the exhaust noise covered up by turbo noise, which makes you think the exhaust sounds different than it actually does.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2011 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
My "Turbo" is simply a "vacuum driven, centrifugal, muffling device"

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2011 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
In this case the sound is affected by how the exhaust from the cylinders are grouped toghether differently than stock, and the particular resonator used. There are more pictures of the system online, but they are a little hard to figure out. As I see it, one exhaust port from each side crosses over and ties into the exhaust on the opposite side. The pipes are also heat wrapped which was probably necessary to keep from damaging the wiring to the engine. If anyone can diagram this system, I am sure someone here could build a set of pipes. The diesel resonator they used would probably be difficult to match up.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2011 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
The resonator used is mostly irrelevant. None of the exhaust tubes cross sides, like they do in a 180 degree exhaust. We wouldn't mind building such an exhaust system for the 2.8, but We haven't the time to do it unfortunately. Also, We are getting rid of Our 2.8s in favor of better engines.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2011 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/...er/article?mid=10217

Here is a description, and pictures, of the system from one of the people there in Taiwan. I would like this system for the 3.4 in my Mera. It would have the right sound for this car.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 10-06-2011).]

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2011 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Rick 88

3914 posts
Member since Aug 2001
http://www.youtube.com/watc...ilpage&v=VNBsihULlSw

Here is another video of the same car. Someone make this system!!!
PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2011 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Rick 88

3914 posts
Member since Aug 2001
http://www.youtube.com/user/u17333652j

Not related to the exhaust system, but these Taiwan Fiero guys like their cars.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2011 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
For what it's worth, you can probably get very close with only a couple of custom headers and custom Y-pipe, keep the cat and muffler, and still be emissions legal.
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2011 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Your exhaust is too big, and not tuned for your engine.

you would think but... The gains say other then that.

link to my results page... Video at the bottom of the car reving up.
http://www.cardomain.com/ri...iac-firebird/page-19

one of the last dyno pulls before the car went down.... You can hear the top end rasp.-
http://youtu.be/SWY08Ai4ETk
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2011 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
..The easiest way to alter the sound of the fiero V6 is to replace the stock muffler with a turbo muffler of yout choice use a single outlett
do not mount the muffler where the cat is
gives the car a pleasing performance sound ,,not to loud,& you get increase performance
this is a good mod for a car that is basicly stock
Every V6 Fiero should have ported exhaust manifolds,or the truleo header,,because the stock exhaust manifolds are very restrictive ,,It is time consuming to port the manifolds,,for the first time fiero owner or the young guy desirous of more performance this is a great week end project(A long week end) that gives more power, better gas milage, cooler running,better idle ,improved my sex life !!
the car will rev easier & smoother ,,pulls RPMs that would stall it before the porting..do not paint manifolds
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I don't understand why so many Fiero owners are concerned with the sound of their exhaust. Sound may be fascinating but it doesn't win races . Only horsepower does.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, ZZP Intercooler, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2011 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
I don't understand why so many Fiero owners are concerned with the sound of their exhaust. Sound may be fascinating but it doesn't win races . Only horsepower does.

We don't understand why so many Fiero owners are concerned with winning a race. Horsepower doesn't win races. Power-to-weight ratios, aerodynamics, and driver skill do.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 10-07-2011).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2011 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

you would think but... The gains say other then that.

link to my results page... Video at the bottom of the car reving up.
http://www.cardomain.com/ri...iac-firebird/page-19

one of the last dyno pulls before the car went down.... You can hear the top end rasp.-
http://youtu.be/SWY08Ai4ETk

We didn't say you wouldn't see any gains, but your exhaust is too big for your engine. Exhaust pipe size affects sound and speed at which exhaust gas is evacuated. Having 3" exhaust on a tiny 3.4L engine is what is giving you the rasp. Smaller, properly tuned exhaust will give you a better sound, and let you make more power in the top end.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2011 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
..Most Fiero owners will never race at the track,, they like powerful engines!! reallity says the average Fiero will have a 2.8 V6 .And drive in traffic
sound is important ,,especially to younger owners and those young at heart,,It is the same pricipal that guides people to want to own a ferrari or the 4 wheel gas gussling crapster pos of thier dreams..
..For many years, many wanted a Ferrari one of the most unreliable cars in the world ,,a real POS, but oh the rep, the sound ,Im so cool !!
a car similar to the Honda civic of the 80s is what we would all be driving if we were smart,45/50 mpg.4 seats ,but people do not give a crap about the eviroment & want style!! a certain elan & panache in there life,, so screw the enviroment give me the POS $185,000 metal speedster of my dreams.I AM COOL
..I love a neat sound, when I plop my unwashed,constantly farting hulk in my fiero the teeming lice ridden masses only see my cool looking pin head driving the sports car with the neato jet sound.
people who do not appreciate sound,, should not have a radio in thier car !!

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 10-07-2011).]

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post

We didn't say you wouldn't see any gains, but your exhaust is too big for your engine. Exhaust pipe size affects sound and speed at which exhaust gas is evacuated. Having 3" exhaust on a tiny 3.4L engine is what is giving you the rasp. Smaller, properly tuned exhaust will give you a better sound, and let you make more power in the top end.

No you did not say I would not see gains, but it was implied that the exhaust was TOO large. I proved the car needed the size and that the size gave significant gains.

You say the smaller pipe would have given HP gains and sustained my top end a bit longer, but what about the TQ? Imports have proven its not all about the HP. If you say HP gains are seen with a smaller pipe, why did I still see them? Are you saying I would have seen more with the smaller pipe? How? I gained with the larger pipe! Maybe your point would be true if I saw TQ but no HP, or if I had seen hp from the 2.25 to the 2.5, but not from the 2.5 to 3.0. What size do you think is max for the 3.4 to be able to make power? Guess I'm trying to understand the WHY of what you are saying.

And what is the ideal speed for the gas to travel at when it leaves the tails? When/where does it slow down? With that info I could test the theory. Some said length would hurt me with the 3in,as the gases would cool and contract, but the cut out extra test should have accounted for getting the exhaust out while it was still hot and expanded and at full speed?

Maybe I'm overly defensive from past issues with others, if so sorry...But to play devil's advocate...

I tried the 2.5 inch piping ( the headers to y-pipe to cut out) I gained a wee bit with the 2.5 over the stock 2.25, but there was more to gain. I proved it with my dyno pulls (listed on the page) with the new 3inch exhaust.

To paraphrase my site....

"My gains with the 3inch exhaust over the 2.25... (cut out closed on both)

Horsepower gains...15.4HP
Torque gains...18.2ft/lbs

And when the car was uncapped (cut out open)...I dropped 1 hp and gained 1 TQ...so esentially the same...meaning the system is very efficient!

Now the next natural step... 2.5

Someone asked... I went from a 2.25 crimp bent sys to a 3in mandrel how do I know what would have happened if I had gone with the 2.5 mandrel bend system?

Reply:
Well I have PF&E headers and their mandrel bent y-pipe was 2.5 at its exit (2in primaries into 2.5in)...it flowed to a 2.5 inch pipe then to a 2.5 inch cut out. So it was effectively a 2.5 inch system to the open cut out. I opened the cut out on a run & I pulled on that run...

So my dyno difference from a 2.25 crimp bent sys to a 2.5 mandrel bent system...
Horsepower gains...9 hp
Torque gains...4 ft/lbs tq

And now....
My dyno differences from a 2.5 inch mandrel bent system to a 3in mandrel bent sys (with custom 2.5 inch primaries to a 3in (y-pipe) )
Horsepower gains... 7 hp
Torque gains... 14 ft/lbs TQ!"

SO the fact that the car still had gains (hp & tq) from the 2.5 to 3.0 says it all to me! And not little gains either. These were significant! And all the runs were done back to back with NO other modifications but exhaust!

Not that you asked, but possibly seemed to assume about my 3.4, that it was stock! This engine might be a 3.4, but it (was) one of the most modified n/a 3.4s out there at the time. There was nothing untouched or unmodified. The only thing still needed on the car at that time was a tune and a custom plenum. The plenum eventually came via Truleo not long after (with the intake and TB swap I gained 36.8Ft lbs of TQ at the wheels...) I just wish it had the "sound" higher up the rpm chain. I'm betting alot is the runners on the car being too long vs their diameter. The last thing I did, but never got to test, was increase the porting on the heads, get a FRESH valve job, and change up the valve springs and rockers to maximize my cam. Maybe air volume in would have made all the difference?

That Tiawan fiero has a NICE sound. Though I have not heard him on the dyno, perhaps his HIGH rpms do the same. And what did it do the the hp and TQ?

maybe your point, that you did not say, was this...

There is a trade off b/w sound and performance with the 2.8 & 3.4. If you want max performance your sound will take a hit, but if you want awsome sound, your perfomance will take a hit. Just a thought...

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post

redraif

1460 posts
Member since May 2005

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Don't forget TQ too... LOL!

PFF
System Bot
DMendez7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DMendez7Send a Private Message to DMendez7Direct Link to This Post
Someday it'll be replicated, hopefully soon!
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2011 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

No you did not say I would not see gains, but it was implied that the exhaust was TOO large. I proved the car needed the size and that the size gave significant gains.

You say the smaller pipe would have given HP gains and sustained my top end a bit longer, but what about the TQ? Imports have proven its not all about the HP. If you say HP gains are seen with a smaller pipe, why did I still see them? Are you saying I would have seen more with the smaller pipe? How? I gained with the larger pipe! Maybe your point would be true if I saw TQ but no HP, or if I had seen hp from the 2.25 to the 2.5, but not from the 2.5 to 3.0. What size do you think is max for the 3.4 to be able to make power? Guess I'm trying to understand the WHY of what you are saying.

Wow, a long post that was.

We were not assuming your 3.4 was stock. We are presuming your 3.4L is displacing 3.4L. What size are your primaries? How long are they? It is possible that 2.5" was too small for the headers you're using, and 3" let them breathe better giving you some nice dyno results. But We still think 3" exhaust is too big for anything less than probably 5.7L. We suspect your primaries are too large and possibly too short, to get the maximium performance out of the exhaust system.

We suspect We won't use anything larger than 2.5" on Our LS4 exhaust, once built. We have been researching various aspects that go into building an optimally tuned exhaust system, though do not have all the math available yet. However, for Our LS4, We will have all the math and will design an optimal setup for the LS4 in the Fiero. Once We understand all the math involved for this, it would be useful for building tuned exhausts for other swaps as well.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaDirect Link to This Post

But We still think 3" exhaust is too big for anything less than probably 5.7L.

To maximize HP or torque, the ideal exhaust pipe diameter has nothing to do with the displacement of the engine. It has everything to do with the peak HP output of the engine. For example, if you have a 2.5 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder engine that can put out 400HP, or if you have a naturally aspirated 6.0 liter V8 that also puts out 400HP, the optimum exhaust system would use the same size (diameter) tubing. Do some Googling, there are very reputable sources that have published tables of recommended exhaust tubing size relative to the HP potential of the engine. There is real science behind it. Bigger isn't always better with exhaust.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
For me it's the sound. I don't really care how much peak power my engine puts out, but how it sounds shifting thru the gears. The exotic sound this exhaust system makes, would be in character with my Mera.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 10-07-2011).]

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post

Wow, a long post that was.

We were not assuming your 3.4 was stock. We are presuming your 3.4L is displacing 3.4L. What size are your primaries? How long are they? It is possible that 2.5" was too small for the headers you're using, and 3" let them breathe better giving you some nice dyno results. But We still think 3" exhaust is too big for anything less than probably 5.7L. We suspect your primaries are too large and possibly too short, to get the maximium performance out of the exhaust system.

We suspect We won't use anything larger than 2.5" on Our LS4 exhaust, once built. We have been researching various aspects that go into building an optimally tuned exhaust system, though do not have all the math available yet. However, for Our LS4, We will have all the math and will design an optimal setup for the LS4 in the Fiero. Once We understand all the math involved for this, it would be useful for building tuned exhausts for other swaps as well.

I know I'm long winded... lol... passionate about my little beast, esp cause he is not running right now.

From what I remember (been a few years since I have messed with the car) the pf&e headers in purcahsed form were 2in primaries into a 2.5in mandrel bent y-pipe. A member on 3rd gen said they are 1 1/2" tubes to 2" y-pipe legs merged into a single 2 1/2". 16"long primaries, except #5 is 14 1/2"[/i] Well mine got tweaked a bit with the 3in upgrade... the 6 exhaust tubes remain the same, but they flow into a y-pipe with 2.5in legs flowing into a single 3inch.

Pics from them on my site this page

http://www.cardomain.com/ri...iac-firebird/page-16
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2011 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:
To maximize HP or torque, the ideal exhaust pipe diameter has nothing to do with the displacement of the engine. It has everything to do with the peak HP output of the engine. For example, if you have a 2.5 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder engine that can put out 400HP, or if you have a naturally aspirated 6.0 liter V8 that also puts out 400HP, the optimum exhaust system would use the same size (diameter) tubing. Do some Googling, there are very reputable sources that have published tables of recommended exhaust tubing size relative to the HP potential of the engine. There is real science behind it. Bigger isn't always better with exhaust.

That isn't quite true. Bigger isn't always better, is exactly what We were talking about. If you look at redraif's dyno chart, and given the fact that he is complaining about rasp at higher RPMs, it's pretty clear the exhaust isn't tuned right. And his engine isn't making 400HP. How much HP you make is totally irrelevant. What matter are gas volume and velocity. A 2.5L turbo engine isn't putting out a significantly higher volume of gas than an N/A 2.5L engine. The gas has a higher density, but only so much of it can fit in the cylinders at any time. With higher RPM engines, larger exhaust is necessary because you are pumping out more volume of gas per second to make that power, than a similar displacement engine at a lower RPM.

A 3.0L engine that makes all its power at 9000-12000 RPM, would need a larger exhaust because it's pushing out a lot more air per second, than a 6.0L engine that makes all its power at 5000 RPM might.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2011 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

I know I'm long winded... lol... passionate about my little beast, esp cause he is not running right now.

From what I remember (been a few years since I have messed with the car) the pf&e headers in purcahsed form were 2in primaries into a 2.5in mandrel bent y-pipe. A member on 3rd gen said they are 1 1/2" tubes to 2" y-pipe legs merged into a single 2 1/2". 16"long primaries, except #5 is 14 1/2"[/i] Well mine got tweaked a bit with the 3in upgrade... the 6 exhaust tubes remain the same, but they flow into a y-pipe with 2.5in legs flowing into a single 3inch.

Pics from them on my site this page

http://www.cardomain.com/ri...iac-firebird/page-16

Right. 2 inch primaries is probably way too big for your 3.4. What is the diameter of the exhaust ports on the heads, if you pull the headers off?
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
The exhaust sounds almost exactly like the 5th gen Camaro 3.6 DOHC V6.
Compare the firing orders and exhaust design.
Joe 1320

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2011 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
there are so many factors that affect the exhaust sound. the diameter of the pipe, the number of bends in the pipe, the type of muffler, whether there is a cat, whether there is a turbo, the list goes on and on.

Here is my 94 Camaro with a 3.4 and a custom exhaust. Doesn't dsound anywhere nears as raspy as most i've heard. I'm not done, there are some tweaks I plan on doing to smooth it out even further.

And my 3.8.......but that is considerably more radical.

Both exhausts are put together using various componants to give the sound that I like for a particular vehicle.

[This message has been edited by Joe 1320 (edited 10-08-2011).]

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Thats the best sounding Fiero (or american car, for that matter) I have ever heard. DO WANT!!!!!!!! I wouldnt care if it made the stock 2.8 pull like the 2.5 iron puke.... gimie gimmie gimmie!!

------------------
2010 WRX, w2a chargecooled & stage II
1987 Fiero GT 3.4TDC w/ n20
KTM 250SX

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 10-08-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
kikinz24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Direct Link to This Post
as rick88 stated i am the other member who contacted the guy in Taiwan. and was making a set of these up. ive been so sidetracked with work fulltime plus i own a body shop which i run at night i virtually have no time to play with the fiero... i w'ill still finish the set tho i dont think im going to keep them on my car because im building a very custom supercharger applicarion for my engine and the rear header gets in the way... as ive found its 1.5in primary which collects to 3 in then down to a 22 in diesel resonator.... as for the rest of his exhaust its to keep equal lengths i really hope to get back on track with the car i havnt driven in in a year and a half now

[This message has been edited by kikinz24 (edited 10-08-2011).]

lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaDirect Link to This Post

And his engine isn't making 400HP.

I didn't say that it did, I was making an example.

Originally posted by dobey: How much HP you make is totally irrelevant. What matter are gas volume and velocity.

Essentially you have just contradicted yourself. Gasoline has approximately 125,000 BTU per gallon (in the US). Creating 150HP is going to require much less fuel and air than if you are producing 400HP. The more HP you engine makes, the more air/fuel the engine needs to convert the fuel into HP (work). The air and fuel volume required to make 100Hp in one engine, cannot also be used to create 300-400HP in another engine. I'm not going to debate the semantics of volumetric efficiency here, but it is a safe assumtion that engines of like model year are all within a similar volumetric efficiency range. So the greater HP an engine makes, the greater volume of air & fuel it will consume; which in turn will dictate the optimum exaust pipe diameter required to efficiently evacuate the exhaust gasses. The volumetric displacement of the engine is not nearly as important as the peak HP produced within that displacement to optimize the exhaust size.

A 2.5L turbo engine isn't putting out a significantly higher volume of gas than an N/A 2.5L engine.

That is only true if they are laying down the same HP. If you have a 4 valve 2.5 4 cylinder that can put out 220HP at 5500RPM, and a 2 valve 2.5 turbo that also puts out 220HP at say 4700RPM, at their HP peak, they will be putting out the same volume of exaust because they are consuming the same volume of air and fuel - given relatively equal volumetric efficiency.

But if you start with the same base 2.5 liter engine, one is NA and the other is turbo'd and tuned to 80 more HP than the NA engine; then the turbo engine will be putting out a higher volume of exhaust because it is consuming a greater volume of air/fuel to generate that extra 80 HP.

A 3.0L engine that makes all its power at 9000-12000 RPM, would need a larger exhaust because it's pushing out a lot more air per second, than a 6.0L engine that makes all its power at 5000 RPM might.

That is entirely true, but does not really apply to this discussion. There are no mass produced gasoline engines in automobiles that redline above 9000 RPM. The rotary engine in the Mazda RX8 does redline at 9000 RPM, but the simple reality is that you won't find any owners of those who drive on the freeways in second or third gear at 8000+ RPM. Those engines might see 9000 RPM for a second, or a fraction of a second right before an upshift, but they don't get driven at sustained high RPM's (and those engines get piss poor fuel economy considering their displacement). Yes I know, the Honda S2000 redlines at 8000 RPM but same story applies. Any four stroke engine redlining at 9000-12000 RPM is limited to much smaller displacement motorcycle engines, or for something 3.0 liters in size would be an IRL F1 race engine. The overwhelming majority of mass produced engines in gasoline powered autos do not redline above 6000 RPM.

As an end note - Dobey I'm not trying to start a flame war with you, I'm trying to help people view exhaust design a wee bit differently. So many people think "bigger must be better", but that is not true. An engine is nothing more than an air pump. If you have dyno'd an engine and know what kind of power it makes, then there are lots of resources that have published tables of exhaust pipe diameter VS engine HP. If you stick to those guidelines, you will get the most out of your build. Unlike the ricer crowd that so often believes that their 120HP Civic motor needs a 4" exhaust system.

Gixxer Quad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gixxer QuadSend a Private Message to Gixxer QuadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kikinz24:

as rick88 stated i am the other member who contacted the guy in Taiwan. and was making a set of these up. ive been so sidetracked with work fulltime plus i own a body shop which i run at night i virtually have no time to play with the fiero... i w'ill still finish the set tho i dont think im going to keep them on my car because im building a very custom supercharger applicarion for my engine and the rear header gets in the way... as ive found its 1.5in primary which collects to 3 in then down to a 22 in diesel resonator.... as for the rest of his exhaust its to keep equal lengths i really hope to get back on track with the car i havnt driven in in a year and a half now

..... will you be selling them???
kikinz24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Direct Link to This Post
i dont know i might contemplate it after this set is done and i know exactly how i need to build them, i already have $175 in materials and thats just the mandrel bends and exhaust flanges. still havent done collectors yet... i knwo the guy in tipaei who made those headers told me he would make another set but it was going to run 900. plus international shipping... i wasnt looking to spend 1100 bux on just an exhaust that could possibly hurt my performance and just sound cool.. i will try and get these done im sooo curious to see if i can accomplish the tone...
Gixxer Quad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gixxer QuadSend a Private Message to Gixxer QuadDirect Link to This Post
well, if the dibs system works on pff, i'm calling dibs. lol... after looking at the pics more, i'm pretty sure i could build it myself from jc whitney mandrel bends, but i'd need a whole spare rear end to mess around with so i don't mess mine up.
DMendez7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DMendez7Send a Private Message to DMendez7Direct Link to This Post
If you are able to replicate the sound with your setup, i'm sure other people will catch on to building them as long as they know that is the correct way to obtain that sound.
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2011 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kikinz24:

hmmmm... Diesel resonator.... that is not the first time I've heard that in the past 24 hours... I know a Toyota x-runner guy that tuned his exhaust note with a diesel resonator. I knew it sounded familiar when he pulled in the driveway. i'm wondering if that is the biggest key to the sound.... hmmmm...

Gonna have to have a chat with him about it.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2011 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

hmmmm... Diesel resonator.... that is not the first time I've heard that in the past 24 hours... I know a Toyota x-runner guy that tuned his exhaust note with a diesel resonator. I knew it sounded familiar when he pulled in the driveway. i'm wondering if that is the biggest key to the sound.... hmmmm...

No. The "diesel" part has nothing to do with it. Adding or removing a resonator will change the sound. Adding a resonator will make the exhaust have a lower tone, and removing one will give it a higher tone. This is why ricers always put huge mufflers with giant tips on their cars. It makes the tone sound a little deeper, even if the sound still sucks.

A resonator is just a piece of pipe that is larger than the rest of the exhaust piping, shoved in the middle of the system somewhere.
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2011 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
Turns out I was mistaken... I checked with him and he has a Gale Banks full 3inch Monster catback system. Gale banks makes Diesal components and has a tacoma system... The Diesel part I remembered was the fact that Banks specializes in Diesel.

here is the system...
http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/93/77

[This message has been edited by redraif (edited 10-10-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay