Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Anybody have good luck painting outside?? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Anybody have good luck painting outside?? by Blue87Fiero
Started on: 07-15-2009 08:23 PM
Replies: 44
Last post by: perry rhodan on 02-18-2011 05:31 PM
Blue87Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2009 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue87FieroSend a Private Message to Blue87FieroDirect Link to This Post
WOW that look great... you probable have a lot more experience than me.
IP: Logged
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2009 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
A few details about how this "driveway" paint job happened:

The original intent was to prepare the car, including the primer / sealer step in my driveway and then haul the car by flatbed truck to a friend's body shop that had previously given us permission to use his paint booth over a weekend.
The body shop owner forgot about it and took off deep sea fishing in the Gulf on the day we were supposed to go in the paint booth!
We were locked out with no way to get the keys to the shop.

The guy in most of the photos is Billy Kidd, (yep, that's his real name).
Billy owns and runs "Tricked Out Customs" in Tampa and paints custom bikes and cars as well as making money between custom jobs doing some occasional bumper and paint repairs "on location" for car dealers and private owners. Billy has a good bit of experience painting outdoors.

Instead of waiting for another available weekend to get the paintbooth, Billy suggested that we just paint my car right there in my driveway.
Of course I was VERY reluctant to do that, but Billy assured me that it would be OK and even IF something didn't go right he would do the car over completely at his expense.
Nervous doesn't even begin to describe how I felt at that point.

After seeing the results, I honestly don't think that the paint would have been much better if we had done it in the paintbooth.
When I tell people at car shows that it was painted in my driveway they refuse to believe it.
I can still hardly believe it myself now and I was there.

My neighbor on one side did come over to complain about "over spray" claiming that he had "yellow paint" all over his car.
When we pointed out to him that we had just started shooting *white* primer a couple of minutes earlier and that everyone's car in the neighborhood had yellow dust on them from *pollen* in the air earlier that week, he laughed and apologized profusely.
I then talked with all my neighbors and assured them that I would personally wash their cars or pay for car washes if they had any paint dust on them, but that they shouldn't have a problem as we had virtually no breeze that day and we were shooting with HVLP and trying to be very careful.
I have very good neighbors, and I didn't have to wash any cars....

I was a little concerned about code enforcement or the law stopping us until Billy assured me that the code in our area only applies to commercial shops and that you are legally free to paint a car outdoors as long as we weren't getting complaints from neighbors about over spray or smell, and even then I would only be liable for any damage done to other property and we knew that wouldn't be an issue. A county Sheriff's deputy even came by at one point during the day and stopped, *only* to look at the car and tell us how great it was looking!!

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 07-18-2009).]

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2009 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I painted mine on the lawn. Less dust potential. It actually works fine and you don't even need a mask.

Arn
o2usa

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2009 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for o2usaSend a Private Message to o2usaDirect Link to This Post
I don't even think WOW covers it.

that sir, is a HOT paint job!

perry rhodan

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Randy, your car still looks fantastic. Since I first saw it in GM yellow with your HP Racing rims, I was in love with it. Now its better than ever.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock