Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Better flowing GM heads for the 2.5 (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Better flowing GM heads for the 2.5 by v8fiero400
Started on: 06-07-2006 10:13 PM
Replies: 73
Last post by: solotwo on 07-26-2011 09:22 AM
patch

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for patchSend a Private Message to patchDirect Link to This Post

[B]Originally posted by theogre:

Assuming that the later engines use the same ECM as 87+ Fiero (1227748) L4... it is possible to use the ECM PROM from at least some FWD cars. Exactly how you do that is determined by which VSS the FWD car used.

I tried this. The swap went well but I tried using a '91 Grand am 2.5L prom and that did not work. The '91 GAs did use the same 748 pcm so I was hoping the prom would compliment the head and intake changes but I just got code 24s and the pcm would not read the Fiero VSS signal, so back to the '87 Fiero prom I went. Too bad because the car did seem tp run a little better with the GA prom. I believe the '91 GA used a magnetic pulse VSS as apposed to the Fiero gear driven.
IP: Logged
OH10fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2008 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post
Bump for others who might need this info.
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2009 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by v8fiero400:

On my first Fiero (an 84).... had an engine fire. Luckily I was able to put out the fire before it burned the entire car..... but much of the wiring and fuel injection was toast.

It was my only car..... so I took a trip to the junkyard and got an intake form a 1980 chevy citation 2.5 and installed it with the 2 barrel carburetor..... and along with the HEI distributor, I was able to totally eliminate the computer.

It actually ran stronger that when it had the TBI...... although fuel economy did suffer a little.

Oh wow thanks for that! 80 Citation intake and the 2 barrel that comes with it right? I'll bet such a set up can be opened up and tuned pretty good.

------------------
84 Duke, Holley TBI, Manual Trans 4.10, CompuCam, White

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2009 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
What about us 84-86 owners? are we chopped liver or something? If I ever get a 87 or 88 with the 4 and plan on keeping it a 4cyl I will def look into doing this engine mod.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2009 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by patch:

I tried this. The swap went well but I tried using a '91 Grand am 2.5L prom and that did not work. The '91 GAs did use the same 748 pcm so I was hoping the prom would compliment the head and intake changes but I just got code 24s and the pcm would not read the Fiero VSS signal, so back to the '87 Fiero prom I went. Too bad because the car did seem tp run a little better with the GA prom. I believe the '91 GA used a magnetic pulse VSS as apposed to the Fiero gear driven.

This late but...
Need to use FWD PROM? No problem.
Jump VSS on C203 and ECM.
Yes it is the same 1227748. PROM set VSS to use like Fiero or FWD.
I wrote a Cave page long ago but didn't post. I still have it. I'll post it now.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2009 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post
A little late in the thread here, but I am the only one that the pics are not working for?
ckrummy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2009 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ckrummySend a Private Message to ckrummyDirect Link to This Post
I have a head in my garage with the p/n 10044485 (i think) will it fit my 87 coupe
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2009 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

What about us 84-86 owners? are we chopped liver or something? If I ever get a 87 or 88 with the 4 and plan on keeping it a 4cyl I will def look into doing this engine mod.

Rallaster, you can probably omit the ECM and slap a 4 barrel on there if you wanted. Wont do any good without a supercharger but....

------------------

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2009 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ditkaphile:

A little late in the thread here, but I am the only one that the pics are not working for?

No. He delete them or other reasons it not online. He didn't use PIP/hostkansas.com to post. Common problem that use any other image to post here. Peoples won't use PIP or FTP to images.fieroforum.com. This happen allot.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2009 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
will theses heads fit on 84 - 86 fiero dukes??
i feel jipped from not having a late 80s duke engine.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2009 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
I've got a running '88 2.5 block sitting under covers in my driveway that I pulled for my 3800 swap.. You're in BC, how far is it?
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2009 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshh44:

will theses heads fit on 84 - 86 fiero dukes??
i feel jipped from not having a late 80s duke engine.

no. 87 and up won't fit. sorry.
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2009 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i think it would be cheaper to find an 87 fiero up where i live and pull the engine insted of having it get sent out here.
unless you feel kind enough to send it for free!
i would think the shipping would cost a bundle for being so heavy.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2009 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
You need engine, ecm, right wiring for engine and tranny, fuel line, etc.
87+ L4 is like putting a V6 in older Fiero.
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2009 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
might as well just do a V6 swap,
patch

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for patchSend a Private Message to patchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

This late but...
Need to use FWD PROM? No problem.
Jump VSS on C203 and ECM.
Yes it is the same 1227748. PROM set VSS to use like Fiero or FWD.
I wrote a Cave page long ago but didn't post. I still have it. I'll post it now.

This is great info!! You guys that are doing this should really try the '91 GA prom (and reading Orge's write-up on this is a must)! I did and noticed a difference in driveability and performance. Unfortunately I did not read Orge's info on the VSS mod when I did it and therefore thought that the GA prom could not work in a Fiero and I threw the prom away. This car has been sold, but if I ever do it again I will definitely swap the prom as well.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by White 84 SE:

Rallaster, you can probably omit the ECM and slap a 4 barrel on there if you wanted. Wont do any good without a supercharger but....

Could the bottom end of the motor even handle a supercharger??
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

Could the bottom end of the motor even handle a supercharger??

Yea sure.....It's good for 150 HP at least. If it blows (and no one gets hurt) Great! all the momma's boy doubters were right! Yahoo!! If it stands it cool...you saved one. Oh, but the engine must be rebuilt to take ANYTHING extra!!!

It's not like you will just throw away the supercharger if the Duke cant take it. One thing about a Duke in a Fiero nobody seems to mention is that the car is pretty light. Not like it's trying to lug a tank around.
------------------

[This message has been edited by White 84 SE (edited 09-14-2009).]

White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

White 84 SE

812 posts
Member since Nov 2008
Rallaster and Josh,

Heck here's my 84 head before I ported it. Maybe the latter heads just did the work for you. No need to feel jipped.

By the way I saw a good amount of room for larger valves... That would flow better majorly I think and there is room to enlarge the compression bowl to bring it back to 9:1 if compression gets too high. A 150 HP Duke can be had it seems like and I think the block and crank can take that in a real way. I'm talking 150 HP not 250 like a 3800 can be made to have. Someone should run #s as to what a 150 motor in a Fiero would be like. I am thinking 0-60 in 7 seconds/ 28 mpg.
------------------

[This message has been edited by White 84 SE (edited 09-19-2009).]

oilinthegas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2009 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oilinthegasSend a Private Message to oilinthegasDirect Link to This Post
White 84 SE......holy cow man im sitting here looking for research on 84 heads and 3800 engine swaps....
i have two different heads and im contemplating giving up on a duke for a bigger motor.....is there any hope or inspiration to be had?
i see that you are porting your own head(are you just matching the gasket and cleaning the inside? or is there more to your process? did you deck(or plain) the head to raise compression? iv heard of thinner gaskets too......
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2009 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oilinthegas:

White 84 SE......holy cow man im sitting here looking for research on 84 heads and 3800 engine swaps....
i have two different heads and im contemplating giving up on a duke for a bigger motor.....is there any hope or inspiration to be had?
i see that you are porting your own head(are you just matching the gasket and cleaning the inside? or is there more to your process? did you deck(or plain) the head to raise compression? iv heard of thinner gaskets too......

If you want a real performance auto go with the 3800! I gasket matched ported my 84, opened the intake TBI to 2" put in a high lift cam and re bearinged the entire engine. Before I got a pitiful 12 second 0-60 mph, now it's in the 8 second range. No race car but not embarrassing at all anymore( that is on the street-not the track). I'll bet that once I get my odometer to work again I will be getting better than 26 MPG with my "like new" engine. A 3800 is nearly like putting a SD in there cept it's legal on the street. Depends whether you want it for the track or the street. A Fiero can do both.

------------------

[This message has been edited by White 84 SE (edited 09-19-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
What a great thread! Adding to my Favorites! Thanks!
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katore8105:

What a great thread! Adding to my Favorites! Thanks!

Ditto
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
Ah crap, the images posted in this thread have started disappearing! What a darn shame..... I wanted to reference some of the info I had read here before about the s-10 head.......

For anyone still reading this I have a couple of questions. I yanked a head from a 91 GMC pickup today. I have heard that the Grand AM intake is better for the Head than the stock Fiero but how about the intake that was strapped to the Truck head? Also, from what I am collecting, the smaller exhaust ports actually balance the flow of the head. This means that I do not want to port match the exhaust ports but I still do want to do my Intake ports correct?

[This message has been edited by katore8105 (edited 04-17-2010).]

puddlejumper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for puddlejumperSend a Private Message to puddlejumperDirect Link to This Post
Doing the same thing. 1991 s15 head swap. Keeping the 87 block.
Swapping the cam and pushrods from the s15.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Yes.... site is down.... see above....
puddlejumper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for puddlejumperSend a Private Message to puddlejumperDirect Link to This Post
Are the throttle cable brackets usable in the S15 manifold?

[This message has been edited by puddlejumper (edited 07-06-2010).]

puddlejumper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2010 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for puddlejumperSend a Private Message to puddlejumperDirect Link to This Post
pics

[This message has been edited by puddlejumper (edited 07-06-2010).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
So any R code head from a 90-93 S-10/15, Blazer/Jimmy head will work. How about the intake from the same. You used a Grand Am because it fit better or easier to find? It was mentioned longer push rods from autozone. Would not S-10 push rods work?

With gas prices the way they are I like the idea of a little better fuel economy.

Great thread.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-25-2011).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
If you are thinking of doing this, you may want to wait until I post my build thread. I will post it when I'm finished and the engine is running. I have been taking pictures along the way to document it. But I don't want to post anything before I'm finished (in case it doesn't work). As it turned out, the head didn't fit "exactly", and I had to modify it.
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
That is interesting. V8fiero400 says in the post that his did? Hmmm.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-25-2011).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Did he actually put the head on, or just look at it? And did he use a 90 head? He mentioned 90-93 in his first post, but my head is specifically 91-93 and does not include 90.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
I guess? Yes I read it some were he liked the improvement .

Parts used...

1992 Chevrolet S-10 2.5 cylinder head
1990 Pontiac Grand AM intake manifold
use stock Fiero head and exhaust gaskets... use Grand AM intake manifold gasket
and a set of slightly longer pushrods MPR-309 (Autozone)

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-26-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock