Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Corvette ZR1 power steering rack: next project? (Page 9)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
Corvette ZR1 power steering rack: next project? by Rickady88GT
Started on: 01-05-2006 02:06 PM
Replies: 323
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 06-03-2011 04:28 PM
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
With the people that have already PM'd me I don't have any left.
Maybe I need to look into the CNC shop to make 12+ sets.
IF I do this the price will double because the CNC parts are MUCH more expensive in such small volume. They usually ask for 100"s of pieces. But the price drops as the number of parts increase. I don't expect the adapters to be any cheaper than $100 a set. I would order a minimum of 12. That is $1,200 + tax that I would have to pay out of pocket.
So you can see why I get my parts done at a manual shop.
Last time I did the adapters at the CNC shop I collected the money first, that would pay for the parts then ordered. They took longer than I thought and I almost sent money back to people.

I do have my own CNC lathe and could make the parts myself but time is VERY limited for me and the parts are a two setup operation each. They are also different left and right. So I would basically have to babysit the entire operation after I right the 4 programs required to make the parts.
I also need to make setup fixtures to hold the threaded parts.

------------------

IP: Logged
Daviero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavieroSend a Private Message to DavieroDirect Link to This Post
Some more info on identifying the right rack you need:

the 2 turns ratio rack for 84/85 has either AJ, AK, or YP embossed on the lower cap of the input pinion shaft

the 2 turns ratio rack for 86 and 87 had WT embossed on the lower cap of the input pinion shaft

the same for the 2.5 turns ratio racks in 84/85 are YM for 1 rack or CA or WL for the other rack. The difference between them I do not know, but they had different part numbers. For 86/87 the 2.5 turns rack had CA or WL embossed on the pinion cap.

I found this out while looking to replace my rack. I cheaped out and installed a good looking used rack. It was the correct one for Rick's adaptors but the year for it was unknown. A couple years later I am replacing it to correct a persistent slow leak - moral of the story: Do not cheap out! Get a rebuilt rack if you get a scrounged one.

Edit: the rack I used was the WT rack: 2 turns for 86/87. I really like it and replaced my leaky one with the same.
------------------
Daviero - 88 N* GT

[This message has been edited by Daviero (edited 05-31-2010).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2011 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
Just came across this thread again. Why is it not in the Construction Zone yet?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
It is now.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock