Who built their own 3800 exhaust? by Anavaree
Started on: 10-29-2010 11:14 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: MstangsBware on 11-01-2010 12:38 PM
Anavaree

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AnavareeSend a Private Message to AnavareeDirect Link to This Post
This is the second exhaust i have ever built and i wanted to see other 3800SC home build exhaust.
Any input?
I still need to clean it up and paint it, VHT paint, but heres where i stopped for the night.

Jesse

------------------
There is no such thing as impossible, only different degrees of awesome.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Looks alot like how I build them !

RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Yep, that's what I have. I am pretty happy with the exhaust, idles nice, not too loud. Of course when you jump on it, she does get noisy. Simple and effective.
GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Anavaree

Can I have that jackstand?

~Tyler

------------------

Originally posted by Fieray3800:
What is GT-X and where is it located?
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

Looks alot like how I build them !

That picture looks vaguely familiar, Mike. It still sounds good and is without leaks. You dun gud, Gud Buddy.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Looks good...

for those liveing in California,the cat has a cross refrence number,so a OEM cat is a must.I think Fiero store sells a stainless steel OEM model.
D_sensitized

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D_sensitizedSend a Private Message to D_sensitizedDirect Link to This Post
Here is how I built mine, no flex joint but there is room for one if i need it and there's a catalytic converter in there as well.
I did have to cut the trunk though.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Anavaree:

This is the second exhaust i have ever built and i wanted to see other 3800SC home build exhaust.
Any input?
I still need to clean it up and paint it, VHT paint, but heres where i stopped for the night.

Jesse

Looks like my setup as well but without the flex coupling . I was able to get the muffler to sit a bit higher and my U bend feeds to the right. The Flotech afrerburner crossflow muffler that is used is only 13" long so its a nice fit. IMO, this is the ideal way to route a 3800SC for those that wish to keep the trunk.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Anavaree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AnavareeSend a Private Message to AnavareeDirect Link to This Post
Dennis,
The muffler outlets actually only sit about 3/4" below the cutouts in the cradle. the pic makes it look a lot lower. the bottom of the muffler is onlt .5 below the bottom of the cradle cross member and .5 higher than the side of the cradle.
It is a flowmaster 80 series muffler, wish it was only 13" long, would have made the install easier.

I would really like to use the Top line autogroup C6 exhaust tips but they are only 2 to 2.25 piping, i dont want to neck down from 2.5".
I need some good looking tips if anyone has good ideas.

Jes
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

Looks good...

for those liveing in California,the cat has a cross refrence number,so a OEM cat is a must.I think Fiero store sells a stainless steel OEM model.

Incase you do not know...>You will need an OEM CAT from a Grand Prix and not the Fiero to meet CA laws....
Anavaree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AnavareeSend a Private Message to AnavareeDirect Link to This Post
Heres what it looks like now. i have the muffler supports in place now.

PFF
System Bot
deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post
Where did you guys get the 2 bolt exhaust flange?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
Here is something I just finished up last week. It turned out pretty well. Too loud for my taste, the muffler was pretty much just a resonated straight though type. There is defiantly room to go larger for maybe more sound deadening. There is no drown which the car owner was mostly concerned about.

The left side actually comes out on the other side of the 3" mandrel bend but didn't have the 2.5" pipe at the time.

I cut about an 8" section from the trunk pulled the bottom up and welded it back together.

Ended up with about 5-6" below the flat spot of room.

ready for tips

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 10-31-2010).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post

Justinbart

3259 posts
Member since Sep 2009

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 10-31-2010).]

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys, where did you get your flex coupler at? They are darn expensive.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

Yes they run $50-$100 but we've been building without them and so far no problems with the exhausts. On eBay you can buy them for around $30
I believe that as long as your muffler is suspended on springs and the exhuast pipes are suspended with flexible rubber hangars you should be OK . Those measures should allow the system to flex with heat and vibration thereby preventing breakage.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

I have bought some from Mandrel Bending Solution being that is where I buy Mandresl most the time. I have also bought a few off E-bay for cheap.......

http://www.mandrelbendingso...AINLESS-STEEL/Detail

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock