Moog K5292 upper ball joint question by Swanky_Monkey
Started on: 10-03-2010 05:05 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Chris Hodson on 10-05-2010 08:53 AM
Swanky_Monkey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Swanky_MonkeySend a Private Message to Swanky_MonkeyDirect Link to This Post
Hello!

I've been collecting suspension parts for my '87 GT, and have noticed something curious about the Moog upper ball joints I've received. They include a castle nut and cotter pin, but have no hole drilled in the threaded shaft. I have also gotten Moog lower ball joints, and they indeed have holes drilled. Am I missing something here, or should I return what I've ordered and seek another pair?

As always, thank you for you help and advice!

Dave
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
For safety sake, I would return them or at least add another nut as a jamb-nut. You don't want that coming loose.
Swanky_Monkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Swanky_MonkeySend a Private Message to Swanky_MonkeyDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the reply! No doubt, I am sending these Moog parts back if they are not complete. But, what I find curious is that the inclusion of the castle nut and cotter pin make me conclude that there should be a hole to use them properly. Is there anyone else out there using this Moog part? What have your observations been? Also, while the lower ball joints included installation instructions, these uppers had none.

Does anyone have a link to Moog upper ball joint installation instructions? I'm hoping that will answer all my questions. I've been searching but haven't had any luck.

Dave
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
It's interesting, I looked up the Moog ball joints and none of them have the cotter pin hole nor do they come with the pins. The Rodney Dickman one does come with the pin and hole:

Edit to add.....apparently the uppers don't have the cotter pin. Some have lock nuts instead of castelated. See this thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/111056.html

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-03-2010).]

Swanky_Monkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Swanky_MonkeySend a Private Message to Swanky_MonkeyDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, my Moogs have the same nut and pin pictured in the Dickman photo, but no hole. I read that thread earlier, but these don't have a nylon lock nut. Its weird, or I'm seriously missing something here.

Thanks again IMSA GT!

Dave
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
No hole in stud? Should have Nyloc nut. Someone screwed it up.
Upper BJ is fine when torque to correct spec.

Reuse nyloc?
Wiki doesn't know either... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyloc_nut
If in doubt, throw it out and buy a new one.

edit: don't return it unless it's local. faster, and likely cheaper, to buy a new nyloc

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-04-2010).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
I helped a friend install Moog upper ball joints on his Fiero today.

They came with instructions.

They came with a castle nut and a cotter pin.

They came with drilled holes in the threaded shaft.

I'll check to see if the part number is exactly the same as posted in the heading. (K5292)
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
A castle nut MUST be used with a drilled bolt/stud and a cotter pin or safety wire. An undrilled bolt/stud subjected to significant vibration should be secured with a prevailing-torque locknut ... nylon-insert, fiber-insert, or deformed-thread type, depending upon temperature and service environment.
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone else had their moog ball joints break ?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Break how?

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Swanky_Monkey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Swanky_MonkeySend a Private Message to Swanky_MonkeyDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the help!

I am returning these uppers and either re-ordering Moogs, or going with Rodney Dickman's uppers. All my other Moog joints and bushings look great.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post
Based on the information I have from MOOG part number K5292 should not have a hole and should not come with a castle nut and key. They state you should return them and get the correct part combination.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I helped a friend install Moog upper ball joints on his Fiero today.

They came with instructions.

They came with a castle nut and a cotter pin.

They came with drilled holes in the threaded shaft.

I'll check to see if the part number is exactly the same as posted in the heading. (K5292)

Yep, the Moog part number we used was K5292.

Maybe we have "old stock" up here in Canada, stuff that was correctly made and packaged years ago.

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
Every fiero owner should buy Rodney's ball joints and tie-rods. Their simply top quality and you can't complain about the price vs. Moog...

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Every fiero owner should buy Rodney's ball joints and tie-rods.

I agree, except that sometimes you can't wait for these items to be ordered and shipped.
pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoDirect Link to This Post
Rodney is about the quickest at shipping. You won't be waiting very long.

[This message has been edited by pdemondo (edited 10-05-2010).]

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
got to wonder if they are chinese made crap
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pdemondo:

Rodney is about the quickest at shipping. You won't be waiting very long.

Rodney is great. However, even his shipping is not as quick as driving to the local auto parts store.

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
It snapped in half. Like weak metal.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock