Wiring to ignition coil and grounds by ibook7537
Started on: 07-24-2010 11:22 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 07-28-2010 03:52 PM
ibook7537

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ibook7537Click Here to visit ibook7537's HomePageSend a Private Message to ibook7537Direct Link to This Post
Recently did a clutch in my '84, and accidentaly ripped a ground off the bellhousing when reinstalling the tranny. It connected along with two other wires, and is black. I can't find the connecting end, but the other two grounds are still connected. one is a larger black wire that i suspect is for the starter and two colored grounds that come out of the harness itself. after installing everythin with the exception of the ground, the car started twice. the next day it failed to start, but will crank to infinity. The only thing i can think of is when i was looking for the ground i may have fubar'd the coil wires. I checked the coil itself, and it tests good, and the car gets fuel but intermittent good spark. was wondering if anyone could let me know where that missing ground wire goes, and what colors go to what parts of the coil, seeing as its an aftermarket accel coil.
thanks!
vince
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I can't say for sure on the '84's, but on the later 4 cylinder models there are a total of three wires leading to the bellhousing.

1. a large black wire which really provides a redundant ground wire for pretty much all the accessories inside the car;

2. a large blk/wht wire that provides a ground for several engine data sensors, fuel control, and the solid state voltage regulator inside the ECM; and

3. a small tan wire that provides another grounding point for other ECM functions.

I suspect that if your 84 is similar, that you have broken one of the ECM grounds (2 and/or 3 above). You must find the other broken end of the wires inside the large main wire loom that runs from the ECM through the firewall, and splits off to various engine sensors, and splice the broken wire back to the half that remained with the transmission. It shouldn't be too hard to find the end.

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 07-24-2010).]

ibook7537

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ibook7537Click Here to visit ibook7537's HomePageSend a Private Message to ibook7537Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the response, Blooze. Anybody know what color wires go to the coil though they are all messed up now, and it has an after market coil so it could really be any combination.

Thanks Vince
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
There are two connectors on the coil. One comes from the harness and has a pink wire, and a white wire. The pink wire is +12 from the ignition switch. The white wire is the Tach signal and runs to the tach filter, and then to the tach.

The Other connector also has a pink and white wire on it and runs to the ICM. The pink extends the voltage from the ignition switch to the ICM. The white is where the primary of the coil gets grounded by the ICM in the dist.

The coil connects the two pink wires together and the two white wires together when both connectors are on the coil.

Note: The ICM (Ignition Control Module) is also sometimes called the EST (Electronic Spark Control)

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 07-28-2010).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I did a coil conversion a while back, and posted a how to (with the original wiring diagrams)

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-068532.html

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock