Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  New Clutchnet 6 puck with Red Level x2 Pressure Plate. (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
New Clutchnet 6 puck with Red Level x2 Pressure Plate. by Capt Fiero
Started on: 07-20-2010 01:38 AM
Replies: 51
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 08-01-2010 06:37 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok saw after all the delays we are getting stuff DONE. WooHoo. Today was a day where lots got accomplished.
New Ebrake Cables, new Rear Calipers, New Rear Top of the line Pads. New sliders, new Springs for the calipers even new style pad retainers.
Struts got mounted properly. rear toe link was tightened up and cotter pin installed. All the hose clamps were tightened up. So in total the car has new pads all the way around, new calipers all the way around and new Grand Am rotors on the front.

Tomorrow will be flush and fill clutch system and replace slave. Slave will have new blue fluid as well.

The Exhaust Y-pipe has an issue that I don't like, the bolts are tight but the springs are no where near tight enough. So Ill build a little spacer for them.

Tons of little things need to be done still, but hopefully it can all get done quickly and have the car back to him tomorrow night.

Its Fiero Chick's and I's Wedding Anniversary tomorrow so I would like to take her out for dinner and have some private time for us.

Lets skip the chatting and get right into it.

Brian's E-Brake Cables were living on borrowed time and seeing as this car will be full insured for street use it is required by law here and he wants it.

First pics of nice new E-Brake Cables. The job got more complex later.

Ebrake and Sway Bar Joint

Another nice Cable

After I got the old cables installed, and started really checking out the old calipers they were partially seizing up. I told him he cold get the last of the season out of them and then the car would need a complete rear brake overhaul or upgrade before next season but he decided nope NEW PARTS NOW. Fiero Brakes have gone UP a lot in the past couple years, Total bill without core was 430 bucks, with core it came to nearly 600 bucks. Thats for 1 set of rear pads and 2 rear calipers. OUCH. Now Brian Still has the Show Bug in his brain, and had to dress up the calipers, a job that if I knew how much he was going to go nuts on it I might have suggested he do it at a later date instead at the same time as we were installing them. Just teasing Brain.

Brian getting the initial adjust on the E-Brake, he never knew that you could do that.

New Calipers Brake Pads and all installed.

BLUE Brake Fluid. This stuff is great. Suppose to be better pedal feel and not fade out as quick. and its BLUE.

Thanks to Dr. Fiero's Power Bleeder it made it much easier.

Just walked around and opened up the bleed screw on each wheel and waited for the clear/black fluid to wash out and clean blue to be moving through.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

IP: Logged
87_special

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialDirect Link to This Post
That sucks about all your problems with ClutchNet. Atleast they fixed the situation. I have the same setup but for a getrag 282. Very grabby when cold and takes some getting used to. I daily drive my Fiero and I love the clutch. It holds the power im making. Im undyno'd but should be close to 300whp going by what the fwd guys make with the same drivetrain.

------------------
1987 SE / Fastback - 3500 Turdbowd / '92 5-speed swap

No bandwagon here...

Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I make over 400 whp on a sprung 6 puck from Clutchnet. I only use stock pressure plates from cheap $130 Murray's clutch kits. It drives fantastic.

------------------
62 Buick Special
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo 415 WHP, 11.9 @ 118
88 Toyota Supra Turbo

87_special

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialDirect Link to This Post
Here's a couple pics just for reference.

------------------
1987 SE / Fastback - 3500 Turdbowd / '92 5-speed swap

No bandwagon here...

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
It seems that nearly every one of us as a diffrent pressure plate. Starting to think we need to find a good pressure plate company and just ship clutchnet a good pressure plate to be manufactured. The one on my V8 and 87_Specials looks amazing the rest look like nearly stock ones dressed up a bit.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just finishing up the last of the stuff, and was changing out the MSD Cap and Rotor. Looks like he will be doing a dist shaft and pickup coil soon. However the cool thing, even with all the crud, the MSD rotor had not worn down and was still at full tip length.

I cleaned up the distributor shaft as best as I could on the car, however when comes out for the pickup coil change it will need to be completely cleaned. If I end up with extra time today I may just pull it. However I am trying to get all the NEED TO BE DONE things first. Like the 3 firewall plugs. Brian you remember the nightmare with the front plugs, I have ran into the same thing with the rear ones. I may have to lower the cradle to get more leverage.

------------------

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

"Hecho en Mexico" means Made in Mexico. Just FYI.

Better that than China to me.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well I just got back from its first drive with the new clutch, it grabs really well. However I need to adjust the cables a bit as the 1-2 gate is not totally right, and we damaged a few of the plug wires so its not running smooth enough. Brian is grabbing new wires and a new pickup coil as I type this.

Should be good to go very soon.

------------------

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Better that than China to me.

Not by much, but yeah.

Looks like that pickup coil needs to be replaced yesterday, and I'm sure the ignition module could use some new thermal compound applied to the heatsink while you're in there. Half an hour with a wirewheel and it'll look like new.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2010 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Yep, just got off the phone with him, new Delco module, Delco Pickup Coil and MSD Superconductor Wires. There is a brush fire near his place which has traffic tied up in knots so he wont' be here for an hour. I am going to take a spare dist shaft and tear it down and clean it up. So when he gets here with the new parts we can just install them on my shaft. I know I could pull the one from his car and rebuild it, however I like having the dist shaft ready to go back in, when I pull one from a motor, less chances of screwing something up.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well I took the car for several runs around the town, then we took it for a couple drives, then he took it for a drive, then I drove it to his house 20kms away, while he followed in his other car, then he drove me back in the Fiero to my place and he is on his way back to his place. He is going to take it for a long cruise tomorrow before hitting the track on Saturday. To be frank this clutch has so much bite, that even if it did not get seated perfectly, it would still be fine. Without even dropping it hard, it has the ability to spin the R888's that are on the car now.

Ok well I should post the final wrap up info and pics from the day, so here goes. Sorry I did not get pics of the new MSD wires, it was getting dark by the time we got the final tune on the car and frankly I could have used another day of turning to get it perfect.

More on that as time goes on.

Ok first pics, this was a back woods attempt at repairing the boots on the old MSD wires, wrapped in shrink tube. It didn't work as there must have been internal issues as well. The boots were stretched to the point that a few of them had small tears. The shrink tube worked wit the heat, just not the internal stuff. So a new MSD 8.5mm Superconductor kit was bought, then spent the better part of an hour and a half building the new wires.

Now for the plugs. Note all 3 have different burn patterns, its because all 3 had slightly different gaps. Obviously the widest gap was running the leanest and is bleach white, the other 2 are normal to slightly rich.

Last pics were my answer to the bad dist shaft. Took a spare old one out of my dist shafts bin, ground the body smooth, then polished it wit the wire wheel, and wiped it down with degrease. Turned out pretty good. I sat down with Brian and showed him how to rebuild the dist shafts so he was pleased that he will be able to do that in the future without having to come and pay someone to do it for him. It now has a new Delco Module, and new Pickup Coil.

All is well wit the car and I hope he will be happy with it for a good time to come.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well the car has now had 2 full days at the auto cross track and will be heading to the road course on Monday, so far the car is doing great, I don't have all the time results but he said the fastest cars on the track which are highly modified track cars are running 54-55 second times, and he is coming in at 57-58 he has had 3 people including several Porsche drivers take his car for a test run around the track and all can't believe just how great his Fiero is on the track. When he gets the full results I'll post the times up in this thread.

For the record the mods to the car

1.5" Lowering Springs
Front and Rear sway bars. Stock front with poly, Addco rear with poly and Heim joints.
Complete poly bushings in all control arms
R888 tires on stock 15" wheels
Engine mods

3.2L V6 (Stock 2.8 block with 3.1 Crank and pistons, bored .040 over)
Custom Cam, 1.52 Roller Tip Rockers
19# Mustang Injectors
Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
Custom Prom Chip
Ported Exhaust
Stock Intake and Y-Pipe
4spd Trans and Clutchnet Clutch
Thats about it.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock