Auto short shifter: is it possible?? by NightMare Cruiser
Started on: 06-13-2010 10:05 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: fierosound on 06-15-2010 01:10 AM
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone ever made a short shifter for the auto trans? Was thinking it would look cool if shifter wasn't sitting so high.

NightMare

------------------
It's a CAR, now drive it!!

http://community.webshots.c...rx32?vhost=community

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
I've got an aftermarket shift knob on my automatic,and it covers the entire shifter pole up to the boot.
Could easily alter boot and pole to make a bit shorter,but it's low enough as it is.
Best pics I could get at night.

[This message has been edited by DefEddie (edited 06-13-2010).]

donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
One of the members here has been making short manual shifters for a while and selling in the mall (sardonyx247) He made one auto shifter that he had pics of that was for sale as well. PM him maybe he still has it. I did a search using auto short shifter ad searched in the mall! Hope that helps.

------------------

Sad to say this is the best looking part of the car so far!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/080998.html

Donnie

Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
I have a short shift automatic. I made it a year or so ago for my old XTC. It is sitting on a shelf in my garage. Not real hard, just alot of labor involved.

------------------
86 SE ChopTop 4 Speed 3.4 "The Short Bus"

"For Sale"

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Short enough?

Fiero-in-Paradise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
Here's what I' m working on. I bought the aluminum stock that Will recommended, and "machined" the end for the button. Just need some time to put it all together.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/080157.html

NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserDirect Link to This Post
They look Great!! Thanks guys!
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Do a search in the archives. There are a couple of threads on making them and a few members who use to sell them.

Here are two to get you started:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031110-1-032500.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-1-049269.html

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Here's one that Carver made and I love it.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I made a short shifter for my automatic transmission a few years ago. It's not very hard. It's what I'd consider a "quickie project", i.e. only an hour or two. Here's the run-down:

1) Remove the shifter assembly from the car.

2) Measure and record the dimensions for the slots in the top of the shifter arm. There is a big vertical slot that the knob slides onto, plus two smaller horizontal ones that the retainer clip for the knob fits into.

3) Remove the plastic plunger from the shifter arm. It resembles a string of beads, and goes down the center of the shifter arm. Now you have two choices: cut the plunger to length (i.e. cut off enough "beads" off the bottom to get the length you want), or make a new plunger cut to your desired length.

4) Cut the shifter arm to match the plunger. So if you cut an inch off the plunger, then you need to cut an inch off the shifter arm. It's important that you reduce the length of both parts by the same amount.

5) Cut the slots in the shifter arm, so you can mount your knob. A Dremel tool or a die grinder with a cutting disc should work well for this (I used my Dremel).

6) Re-install the shifter assembly. You're done!

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 06-14-2010).]

Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Glad to see it is still around.
That is one of two in the whole world. Might be as rare as an 88 ttop gt someday.....

Originally posted by Daredevil05:

Here's one that Carver made and I love it.

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I shortened the shifter shaft in my Indy and installed a new leather boot I purchased from Rodney Dickman.

I never did like the original T-bar type automatic shifter (so 80's!!) and most others either are either too big (Cobra head type) or look wrong. I found something perfect from 84-96 Corvette - a small size, top-button, dark grey leather wrapped knob that suits the car's interior perfectly. This is smaller than a similar design used in other GMs like Cavaliers, Grand AMs etc.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-13-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock