Started on: 05-22-2010 07:26 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: whodeanie on 05-23-2010 09:05 AM
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
There are three bolts that hold the compressor on the 2.8 v6. two at the top that it pivots on and one at the bottom that locks it in place so the belt stays tensioned. The rear top one it accessible with an extension and a flexible joint, the bottom one faces forward so it's easy to get at but the top front on is tucked away behind the compressor bracket. you can get a wrench or ratchet on it but you cannot turn it because the tool hits either the compressor mounting bracket or the firewall.

So this is my solution, the 'bent ratchet' with accompanying 'bent bit of tube'. I cut the handle of an old ratchet and welded it back up at a right angle so that it wraps around the compressor bracket. The bolt was so tight I still could not move it and a if I slipped a piece of pipe over the ratchet handle, it hit the deck lid so I put an angle in the tube. Put it all on, shoved a couple of hoses out the way, push, grunt and the bolt was loose. Been fighting that sucker on and off for weeks!

The tool on the left is my diy belt tensioner. Stuff it between the pulleys, turn the nut to separate the pulleys and get the belt tight. Tighten the bolts and remove the tool (don't forget that bit!). Beats swinging on a nail bar with one hand while you try to tighten the accessory bolts with the other hand.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 05-22-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
It has been a while since I changed an A/C compressor on a Fiero V6 but I remember that I had to get to that top front bolt using a stubby box wrench and a socket with a U joint. Your "obstruction" ratchet is a good idea too. Its a PITA job as you really don't have any space to work in. IMO, one of the hardest bolts to get at in a Fiero.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
I simply remove the rear compressor pivot bolt, then shove a long 1/4" ratchet extension bar thru the hole then attach a socket to the extension once it's thru the hole and above the compressor and ratchet the front bolt out.
Easy!

Obviously you reinstall the front compressor pivot bolt the same way..
I admire your ingenuity in welding up those special tools though

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 05-22-2010).]

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

I simply remove the rear compressor pivot bolt, then shove a long 1/4" ratchet extension bar thru the hole then attach a socket to the extension once it's thru the hole and above the compressor and ratchet the front bolt out.
Easy!

Obviously you reinstall the front compressor pivot bolt the same way..
I admire your ingenuity in welding up those special tools though

this is how I have done it as well on the cars I have worked on. I always remove the compressor to get to the exhaust bolts on the front of the car so I had to find a way to make it simple. on another note to make it easier to get to just undo the rear cradle bolts and lift the body this will tilt the motor back and give you way more room to get to the front of the motor as well as take the deck lid off.
D.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock