Low Clutch Pedal: FIXED!!! by imacflier
Started on: 05-07-2010 03:55 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: theogre on 05-09-2010 11:30 AM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierDirect Link to This Post
Hi Guys,

Well like many of you my new-to-me '88 GT had a clutch which just would not fully release. No fluid loss, so I assumed there was air in the system and I bled it and bled it, every way imaginable....bled the slave....replaced the slave with one of Rodney's (lovely bit of work, BTW)....and STILL it would not completely release. Reverse was a nightmare....but then so was any kind of shifting.

I finally noticed that my clutch pedal was no higher than the brake pedal....hmmmm. The pedal is steel and not bent, no apparent abnormal bend in the clutch rod (there is a designed in slight bend at the pedal end of the rod, BTW, but it is really needed for alignment).

So I said let's try Rodney's adjustable banjo! I had read it could not fix the problem, but I was desperate.

So, today I put in the new banjo....4 1/2 hours!!! (More on that later)

Now while I was down there unhooking the old banjo from the clutch pedal, I really looked around. It turns out that there are at least three things which can limit how far the clutch pedal can rise: There is a bracket which the pedal arm will hit. The banjo is kept from extending too far by a snap ring. And there is one more which I have never seen mentioned in any of the dozens and dozens of clutch threads: It is a switch attached to the bracket which limits pedal rise. Actually there are two switches. The higher of the two is the clutch safety switch. Below it is another. This switch made access to the banjo at the pedal difficult so I removed it. I believe it is a cruise control switch (I am sure someone out there will either correct me or verify what it is). This lower switch has a threaded base which scews into the bracket. It is quite long. In my case, it was screwed in all the way to the body of the switch....and the clutch pedal would hit the threaded portion BEFORE it hit the mechanical stop!!!!

At this point I went ahead and installed Rodney's banjo. Carefully adjusted the length to make sure the pedal hit the mechanical stop. And amazingly the pedal was about 1" above the brake!!! Then I re-installed the lower switch.....and was careful to only srcew it in far enough to actuate the switch, but not so far as to use it as a stop for the rise of the pedal.

With everything buttoned back up, I decided to see how the clutch worked before I bled it yet again....and SUCCESS!!!!

I now have a clutch that works.....even when running....even into reverse without sounding like was crushing rocks!!!!

The clutch pedal is a 4:1 lever. That means that 1 inch of pedal travel results in 1/4 inch of master travel and that is a LOT when you are close but not quite there!

So, did Rodney's banjo fix it or did the switch fix it? I believe it was the switch, but Rodney's banjo is precise and there is much less free play in any direction now than before I swapped out the banjo. I recommend Rodney's banjo.

So just how come it took so damned long to install it?

Well, Rodney's banjo is perfectly straight and VERY robust and uses oilite bushings. It does not have that lil bend the stock banjo has. It turns out that if you assemble it, attach the banjo to the master, thread the banjo through the firewall and bolt the master back into place, there is no way in hell you are gonna get the banjo and bushing to slide back onto the clutch pedal. You must attach the banjo and bushing to the clutch pedal BEFORE you bolt the master down. I believe Rodney's directions are incomplete and I have a call into him.

So, in summary, if you have clutch release problems and a low pedal, crawl under your dash and check to see it that lil switch is preventing your pedal from swinging up to the mechanical stop...it just might have you a lot of heart ache.

And good look to all of you with clutch release troubles.....I am gonna go finally drive that blasted car!

Larry
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jonesy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
Great, glad you fixed it up.. Now go out and drive your damn car! lol..
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

It (Rodney's banjo) does not have that lil bend the stock banjo has.

What bend? Are you sure yours didn't get bent while in use? How about a picture?

Good point about the switch though!
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
I had the same issue with a swap I did in a 86GT a while ago. New Master and Rodneys slave and still no luck. I made the banjo adjustable myself and It worked great ! I think I will add an adjustable banjo to all my cars it shifted so much smoother !
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
I think it was the switch...
Cruise switch is adjustable and you can knock it out of adjustment.
You get the Big Foot Award this week.

Warning... it can happen again. Next time, pull pedal up, hard, toward you. Should readjust by itself. (Made that way.) If not, get a new switch and retainer from GM. See service manual (any year) read cruise control.

Rodney kit is nice but not needed is this problem.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-08-2010).]

sunofjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sunofjusticeSend a Private Message to sunofjusticeDirect Link to This Post
I feel you on this one, imacflier!

I appreciate rodneys business model,
and awesome parts cache...............
but, I had an "hours long issue" as well.

I called rodney to varify that the instructions
were accurate, because that songun
DID NOT WANT TO GO IN.

Stated out with a nicely painted banjo,
finished installing it with nothing but bits
of primer and bits of gloss red paint.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierDirect Link to This Post
theogre,

Are you sure you are thinking of the cruise switch rather than the clutch safety switch? The safety switch will self adjust, but the cruise switch is adjusted by turning the switch body to screw it in and out of the bracket....forcing it would strip the threads....or so I think.

BTW, I am surely glad to see you posting again. I had a stroke myself back in '96 and recall all too clearly the time and effort and will it takes to recover. Congratulations!

Larry
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierDirect Link to This Post

imacflier

946 posts
Member since Apr 2002
sunofjustice,

Although I am sorry you had difficulty, and certainly glad someone besides ME had it! How did you get it to finally align? I finally had to put the bando on the clutch pedal and THEN bolt the body of the clutch slave back on the firewall. Sure was a pain adjusting since I had to turn the bolt end rather than the banjo end to adjust the length!

Larry
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Larry,

Yes. Cruise. Read SM... Brake and two cruise (1 on brake pedal, 1 on clutch) switches is adjustable the same way.
http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

Big foot mash the cruise switch. Cause by Switch is mounted too low on pedal. Easy to hit.

and thanks

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock