Started on: 04-06-2010 09:29 PM
Replies: 52
Last post by: Firefox on 05-30-2010 01:06 PM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:

durability cant be tested within an hour. come back in 90 days to test durability. it's gonna take it that long to fully cure and harden.

If you used a catalyzed paint, you can get a completely cured surface in 24 hours. Although that's not 100% accurate. my urethane paint job on my bike outgassed for at least 30 days. my basement workshop that had only those panels in there smelled like paint for 30-50 days, and when I did a final sanding with 5000 grit to get a mirror shine the smell came back. Urethane really is not 100% cured even when properly catalyzed for weeks afterwards, the old stuff takes even longer, shorter if you can bake it a bit.

The high solids clear I use takes 9 months to finish completely.
IP: Logged
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
PM sent....
jasedude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jasedudeSend a Private Message to jasedudeDirect Link to This Post
After some words of encouragement from IMSA GT, Ive decided to go forward with the dupli-color paint as originally planned. I'm going to practice with whats left of the silver color on a spare door panel that's busted and cracked so I can get the technique and PSI for the gun just right. Ill post pics up tomorrow.

Additionally, I got my new rims Yesterday!

And after careful consideration, Ive decided to be original and paint the car...Red! (Gasp, a red sports car!?) Really though, I think the red will go good with the rims...and I'm sure to get a few more glances...at least from the cops :-D
jasedude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasedudeSend a Private Message to jasedudeDirect Link to This Post
I Shot the deck-lid Head Light Covers first before I committed to painting the entire deck-lid. 2 Coats of Primer, 2 Coats of Color, 3 Coats of Clear. I like the color, but the texture is...well, here's a picture.

This is about 10 mins after the last coat of Clear. I noticed the Orange Peel during the primer coat...So will wet sanding it and buffing it fix this?
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Your primer coat was too thick viscosity. There is your orange peel. If you try to sand this out, you'll hit primer before it is smooth. Sorry to say, sand it out and re-coat it.

Arn
countach711

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jasedude:This is about 10 mins after the last coat of Clear. I noticed the Orange Peel during the primer coat...So will wet sanding it and buffing it fix this?

The amount of work to redo your entire car this way would dis-hearten even the most enthusiastic among us. I'd say, leave it, throw some flat-paint accents in there and pretend like you invented a WHOLE NEW PAINT STYLE!!! I will be the first to applaud you
bryanearl

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bryanearlClick Here to visit bryanearl's HomePageSend a Private Message to bryanearlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by countach711:

The amount of work to redo your entire car this way would dis-hearten even the most enthusiastic among us. I'd say, leave it, throw some flat-paint accents in there and pretend like you invented a WHOLE NEW PAINT STYLE!!! I will be the first to applaud you

I second this I actually like the look of "uniform" orange peel...
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
You did sand the primer smooth before you started to spray the color coat right??!! If you saw orange peel on it then why the hell did you spray over it?? Agreed sand it down again and spray the primer, let it dry fully, sand it smooth with maybe some 400 grit and then spray with the color, less is more usually go with multiple coats instead of one thick one.... do not get frustrated.... nobody sprays anything perfect the first time but nobody ever learned to spray a perfect paint job by giving up either.... Shooting small parts to test your skills is a good way to practice... Good luck!!
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
the Duplicolor is a lacquer. You don't need to re-prime. Just sand it down to 400 grit, then tack cloth and spray.

Arn
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
Remember Lacquer shrinks. If you have some lumpy or bad areas that you think you can just cover and fill with lacquer you will find real quick that what it looks like freshly sprayed and dry are two different things. Also remember you fill defects with body filler and puddy not primer, or paint. Painting a car with any paint system is a lot of work so good luck and thank you again for not ruining your car with a roller and Rustoleum Enamel.
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2010 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
like they all said if the primer is orang peal sand it smoth or your color coat will be orange peal

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 04-20-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
jasedude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasedudeSend a Private Message to jasedudeDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone,

I've been slowly taking my time when it comes to painting my car...not because it takes long...I just was lazy and only got around to it a day or two a week :-D. But, Ive almost got all the panels back on, here's some pics!

I found that the trick to this stuff was thining it with standard duplicolor laquer thinner with a 2:1 Paint to Thinner Ratio, other wise it came out orange peeled rather badly. The stuff flowed great after I did. I could not however get the duplicolor primer to flow smooth no matter what I did...So I used duplicolor rattle can primer instead. I did 3 coats of the color and 3 coats of the clear - I found that the more you load on the clear the more brilliant the color and the glossier. Right now it appears semi-Flat...someone told me I should keep it that way, and I kind of like it, but I'm still not sure if I want to Buff it to bring out the gloss or not yet, opinions?
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
That's the drawback to lacquer. You need to really buff it out to get the shine and it's a lot of work. Lacquer always gives you orange peel and it's usually pretty rough orange peel. Lots of sanding and lots of polishing. Be careful when buffing as lacquer is very soft and easy to burn through and also overheat and melt. It's not a happy thing to see. Do not polish in the sun and make sure you use lots of water when sanding.

Good luck!

Mark the paint guy
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock