Started on: 01-27-2010 02:50 PM
Replies: 48
Last post by: TXGOOD on 11-17-2010 07:05 PM
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 11-18-2010).]

IP: Logged
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

The things you want to have with these V6s are good flowing collectors that feed into a big enough Y pipe with good a junction where the right header meets the lelt header. IE, 2" left, 2" right into a 2.5" down pipe. Such will give you great flow and good sound.

I can vouch for this. My Fiero (which has a 3.4 V6) has the Trueleo headers and a 2.5" exhaust. People often ask me what kind of V8 is in there. Dyno results also show that the Trueleo headers improve torque in the upper RPM range.
mender

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for menderSend a Private Message to menderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Fiero Guru,

Could you make up a set of headers for the 2.8/3.4 PR that sounds like this? I am not so much after the performance, but this sound. I have a Mera and this would be the ideal sound coming from its pipes. There are some pics of the system posted on Pennocks but I am not sure of the routing. Some pipes do cross over to the opposite bank and then are grouped. It sounds like each exhaust pulse is being heard in sequence (1,2,3,4,5,6). Is that possible?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU23N7blxYo

Since sound bites are the topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEYOx6u00f4

A straight six, not a V-6 but the principle is the same: equal length, in this case six into two into one with all lengths matched. Another set of headers on the same engine with unequal length headers gave it an industrial (tractor, Harley, V-8) sound rather than the euro sound.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mender:

Another set of headers on the same engine with unequal length headers gave it a .... .... Harley... ...sound rather than the euro sound.

Not quite sure how unequal lenght headers will make my engine sound like it was engineered in the early 20th century.

Q. Will it make my engine vibrate like it lacks modern engineering also?
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
Uhhh, the exhaust doesn't have anything to do with vibration.

Harley-Davidsons are a special case, initially done for packaging, now more for heritage reasons.
kikinz24

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Fiero Guru,

Could you make up a set of headers for the 2.8/3.4 PR that sounds like this? I am not so much after the performance, but this sound. I have a Mera and this would be the ideal sound coming from its pipes. There are some pics of the system posted on Pennocks but I am not sure of the routing. Some pipes do cross over to the opposite bank and then are grouped. It sounds like each exhaust pulse is being heard in sequence (1,2,3,4,5,6). Is that possible?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU23N7blxYo

I have a previous thread on this exact setup and so does rick88. I've talked to tom " the owner of that car" I have a ton of photos on the setup unfortuinitly they are engine bay shots kinda hard to look thru. Anyhow I have made a set myself basing off his design a slight bit different but collected the same cylinders as him. My motor is almots complete. Just finishing powdercoating and mounting my supercharger. I used 1.5in primarys collect to 2in at stock cross over and then join the front manifold which is 3in collector and I plan to run a obx resonator. "They seem to be the thickest packed" to muffle the open tone. Hopefully I can accomplish the sound with all the help he provided me with photos.
mender

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for menderSend a Private Message to menderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Not quite sure how unequal lenght headers will make my engine sound like it was engineered in the early 20th century.

If the tubes aren't equal in length, the exhaust pulses will take a different amount of time to get to the collector and can overlap. By having exhaust pulses close together or overlapping, the sound is no longer even and clean but takes on a chugging quality, Some people like that, some don't.

[This message has been edited by mender (edited 11-17-2010).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kikinz24:

I have made a set myself basing off his design a slight bit different but collected the same cylinders as him. I used 1.5in primarys collect to 2in at stock cross over and then join the front manifold which is 3in collector and I plan to run a obx resonator.

Pictures would be nice... links to your thread even better.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, fieroguru
I missed that link.
Mike
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay