Front upper and lower control arms by go faster
Started on: 01-04-2010 12:30 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: bnevets27 on 05-18-2010 12:12 AM
go faster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for go fasterClick Here to visit go faster's HomePageSend a Private Message to go fasterDirect Link to This Post
I read some where that there was two (2) different control arms for the 1986 model year. I did a search but could't pin point the correct information i think the poster said something about they went to a 1.6 control arm. Would very much like any help with this.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wheelman2148

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wheelman2148Send a Private Message to wheelman2148Direct Link to This Post
Hi friend, I just looked in the Fiero Store catalog for the control arms you ask about. The arms are the same for '84 to '87. The '88 arms are different. Of course the upper arm differs in shape from the lower arm for the '84 to '87 . Hope this helps . Ernie
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
As wheelman said, any new replacement control arms for the front are going to be the same for all models '84 - '87... but... original stock control arms are different for '84. GM changed the design in '85 and kept it that way through '87. The newer arms fit the '84's just as well, so if you go to a junkyard looking for arms, you want to be sure not to mix-match the different designs. They changed the upper and lower control arms for '85 to give an 18" shorter turning radius and more jounce travel.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

Bloozberry

7760 posts
Member since Jan 2009
I just checked the illustrated parts manual (or "P" Book) and it appears GM only changed the lower control arms between '84 and '85. The uppers are the same throughout '84 to '87 inclusive.
go faster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go fasterClick Here to visit go faster's HomePageSend a Private Message to go fasterDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for taking the time to answer my question.
pop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popDirect Link to This Post
Possibly your reference to 1.6 means the ratio for the valve "rocker" arms for more lift. Stock arms I belive are 1.5.
bnevets27

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bnevets27Send a Private Message to bnevets27Direct Link to This Post
A little late but I think this is what you are looking for:

CONTROL ARM, UPPER The upper control arm is unique to the Fiero. If parts are interchanged from other Fieros, note that beginning in 1986 GM provided a revised design with 1.6 degrees more positive camber. This arm was listed as a replacement for '84-85 Fieros (in the event replacement was required due to damage). Later in 1986 GM reverted to the earlier design. To minimize confusion, we are listing the part numbers for all years so it can be easily determined which control arms are used in each car.

From here:
http://www.fierosails.com/Steering.html

I'm curious if any one has measured the two different arms to determine the lengths. I'm sure I have the longer arms (1.6 version) but would like to confirm.

[This message has been edited by bnevets27 (edited 05-18-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock