Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3800 NA Engine swap!! Yes, Non-Supercharged! NON-HD 4t65e transmission! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
3800 NA Engine swap!! Yes, Non-Supercharged! NON-HD 4t65e transmission! by Jncomutt
Started on: 07-30-2009 10:28 PM
Replies: 54
Last post by: Jncomutt on 12-01-2010 12:51 AM
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
So, now that your posted swap is completed are you planning to do like a lot of others who have completed a posted swap and sell it?

Or is this a keeper?

How many cars has Leno modded and sold?
IP: Logged
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
That's not up to me, this is my sisters car, lol. I swapped from the 2.5 to the 2.8, then to a 3800 S1, and now a 3800 S2. From the history of the car, I'd say she'll keep it for quite some time. I met up with her today down in Charlotte and she said the car is running great. I checked everything over and all looks good. She has probably close to 3000 miles on it now and it hasn't used any oil yet. All the fluids looked good and clean. The next thing I do will probably be the cat install.
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
hey i love your exhaust wondering how you plan on adding a cat to that setup though?
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2009 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I was able to try your method of mounting the shift cable bracket this morning. Here is a picture of the transmission shift cable mounting bracket. I had the 90* angle flattened out. Notice also the two brackets we used are not exactly the same I am not sure which one is the mostr common on 125's as I purchased mine from a member in the mall and can not be sure what it came off of. But they both still worked the same:
Your picture

My bracket

After a test fit I had to take a round file and remove about 1/16" of metal from both the two mounting holes. If you lay yours on your transmission you will see where the hole needs to be extended out. I also had to notch the bracket where it was against the shift position switch on the transmission. About 5 0 clock on the top right hole you can just make out the notch.

Here ya go with it mounted on my transmission with only 10 min's of work. No welding needed on this bracket:

Thanks for the tip
Joe Crawford

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-08-2009).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2009 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

josef644

6939 posts
Member since Nov 2006
Can you tell me the measurement you used on the shift arm when you cut and welded it back togeather?
Thanks
Joe Crawford
Tstang429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2009 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
??
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2009 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I don't have that measurement. I just cut the 'rise' out of the factory piece and rewelded it so it was flat. That piece should the the same for any 3800 swap so you might be able to find the dimensions in one of the 3800SC swap threads...
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2009 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Just sent this link to someone, and realized I haven't updated in quite some time...

My sister and I drove her car home for fall break about 2 months ago. I don't like to do MPG numbers based on a per-tank basis because they can easily be skewed by simply stopping the pump short, or overfilling compared to the last pump. But, I gathered the receipts from our trip and just totaled them up.

Over the course of 1426 miles, we used 40.36 gallons. On the way back to NC I fell asleep and she didn't get a receipt, so I'm missing the last tank from the whole trip.

All in all, that works out to be 35.33 mpg, mostly all of highway. It does include the time she drove around for two days in CT, but that was maybe 15% of the mileage. This was all mostly done with the two of us in the car and the trunk fully loaded including a toolbox.

The initial goal of the swap was to seek greater MPG and have a reliable, fun car to drive. I think this confirms the efficiency and reliability of the engine. The fun part was also there all along.

More recently, I did her 2nd oil change before driving home for thanksgiving. We now have well over 7000 miles on the swap without a single issue. We will both be driving our cars back home this upcoming weekend for the holiday break and that will make for its 4th 'long haul' trip...
kwaidonjin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2009 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwaidonjinSend a Private Message to kwaidonjinDirect Link to This Post
how much to do that for me?
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobDirect Link to This Post
Did you ever get the cat installed? If so, any pics?
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
No, been too busy with school now and shes been driving the car every day. The car actually passed emissions the 2nd time she brought it back so it hasn't been as big of a rush. The car with the straight through mufflers is too loud for ideal driving comfort so hopefully we can get the new exhaust fabbed up over the summer. When this happens, I'll be sure to post updates to this thread. Otherwise, its still the same ole reliable daily driver it was when the swap was first finished.
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Just to let you know I got it all working and shifting detents where they are supposed to be. I also wanted to save this in my favorites.
Thanks
Joe
Tstang429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
Jncomutt thought you may be interested in this. We found a pulley from goodyear. The part number is 49106. It is the same diameter as the factory tensioner pulley but is ribbed.
Admiral Jedi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2010 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Admiral JediSend a Private Message to Admiral JediDirect Link to This Post
Is the passenger side axle a manual axle from the getrag or isuzu transmission? Thanks!
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2010 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for not seeing that question earlier. The manual axles are the same from the getrag or isuzu. Either one will work.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock