Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Building an Extractor Hood Scoop (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Building an Extractor Hood Scoop by oldfiero
Started on: 01-18-2009 09:20 PM
Replies: 58
Last post by: katore8105 on 08-15-2010 05:52 PM
oldfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldfieroSend a Private Message to oldfieroDirect Link to This Post
What about this. Alum Oval Mesh ~ 66% open area.......

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
IP: Logged
anwalker

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anwalkerSend a Private Message to anwalkerDirect Link to This Post
You better stop messing with that car....mom says you have trim to paint in hallway.
Is that the mesh from the dragon link I sent you??
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
The oval mesh looks pretty good. How good will depend on the size of the ovals.
What I like best is the expanded aluminum that I found, mentioned in my hood vent thread. I would post links, but the info is on one of my other computers & I haven't had time to retrieve it (the thread itself is linked to on the first page of this thread). The besst thing about expanded metal is it's 3 dimensional. It's harder to see through it at an angle, yet it's almost totaly open.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
fyrebird68

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrebird68Send a Private Message to fyrebird68Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

What I like best is the expanded aluminum that I found, mentioned in my hood vent thread. I would post links, but the info is on one of my other computers & I haven't had time to retrieve it (the thread itself is linked to on the first page of this thread). The besst thing about expanded metal is it's 3 dimensional. It's harder to see through it at an angle, yet it's almost totaly open.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

I like the 3-D aspect of your choice. I'll be looking for your next post

[This message has been edited by fyrebird68 (edited 01-22-2009).]

gem1138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post
I drove home last night after reading this thread and realized that you wouldn't be able to see the blinkers from the cabin at all. It might entertain those in traffic around you but I don't live for them. I doubt you do either.
I suppose it might be construtive to have an eighteen wheeler driver see the things occasionally.
Also, I'd finish the job with no grills and live with it for a while.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
This pic says it all... Nice glass work!!
oldfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldfieroSend a Private Message to oldfieroDirect Link to This Post
I tend to agree with you guys, expanded metal is cheep and easy. Seems at looking at McMaster Carr expanded metal gets me into the 70 - 76% open range, paint it black and let it go. Like what I have posted but smaller mesh. The gutter guard is about the same, so maybe a trip to Lowes is in order. I was planning on hot gluing the grill in so now or later would not matter and I could change too.

Getting more interested in getting it finished up an put on the car. I got my pearl samples for TCP yesterday and am itching to spray some this weekend. I'm planning on going back black with a saphire blue or purple pearl mid coat and ghosting in the Pegaus emblem in the hood. Hope to finish up the hood preping this weekend and shoot some color sample panels too. I'll post color panels on the thread and let you guys help me decide. Never any good and chosing a color.

Tom
HTXtremes

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesDirect Link to This Post
How far back from the front of the hood did you start the cut for the opening?
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oldfiero:

I tend to agree with you guys, expanded metal is cheep and easy. Seems at looking at McMaster Carr expanded metal gets me into the 70 - 76% open range, paint it black and let it go. Like what I have posted but smaller mesh. The gutter guard is about the same, so maybe a trip to Lowes is in order. I was planning on hot gluing the grill in so now or later would not matter and I could change too.

Getting more interested in getting it finished up an put on the car. I got my pearl samples for TCP yesterday and am itching to spray some this weekend. I'm planning on going back black with a saphire blue or purple pearl mid coat and ghosting in the Pegaus emblem in the hood. Hope to finish up the hood preping this weekend and shoot some color sample panels too. I'll post color panels on the thread and let you guys help me decide. Never any good and chosing a color.

Tom

Man that sounds really sharp. I love to see some creative work done in the paint dept. (it's what I do).
Like you, I have a hard time deciding on colors. I prefer to have a different color on each car, so that I have a variety. I've been fip-floping between red, yellow, & black for the custom car, with a few green thoughts thrown in. It's has the beechwood interior. Think I've finaly decided on the new Lamborgini Orange (It's red & yellow combined ). I just gotta find the code...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

anwalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anwalkerSend a Private Message to anwalkerDirect Link to This Post
Paul,
I just did mine in a color very similar to lambo pearl yellow. I did 06 vette speed yellow (restoration shop base) with a custom mix of gold pearl in an intercoat. Looks wild with good flop. It was much cheaper than re-finish paint based on the codes. Its loud ask dad, he helped me paint it. Cant wait to see it in the sunlight. Florescent doesnt do pearl justice.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

If you want all the lambo color codes you can find them here...
http://www.lambocars.com/archive/paint.htm

Im pretty sure all the codes with 2CT are tri-stage which is what your referring to with the orange if its the one I am thinking about. LAM.*0058/2 Arancio Atlas Mic 2CT

What I did is pull the mixing ratios for the diamont paint and did something similar with dry pearls on my own and cost 1/3 of the price and looks just as nice.

[This message has been edited by anwalker (edited 01-22-2009).]

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by anwalker:

Paul,
I just did mine in a color very similar to lambo pearl yellow. I did 06 vette speed yellow (restoration shop base) with a custom mix of gold pearl in an intercoat. Looks wild with good flop. It was much cheaper than re-finish paint based on the codes. Its loud ask dad, he helped me paint it. Cant wait to see it in the sunlight. Florescent doesnt do pearl justice.

If you want all the lambo color codes you can find them here...
http://www.lambocars.com/archive/paint.htm

Im pretty sure all the codes with 2CT are tri-stage which is what your referring to with the orange if its the one I am thinking about. LAM.*0058/2 Arancio Atlas Mic 2CT

What I did is pull the mixing ratios for the diamont paint and did something similar with dry pearls on my own and cost 1/3 of the price and looks just as nice.

That's SHARP! I checked out the Labo colors (thanks) but of course you can't tell on a monitor what they really look like. I think you're right about it being the LAM.*0058/2 Arancio Atlas Mic 2CT.
I usually custom mix my colors, too, but that Lambo color is hard to beat. I do plan to add some stripes & panels with black spiderwebbing (if you know what that is) & fogging.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
PFF
System Bot
oldfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldfieroSend a Private Message to oldfieroDirect Link to This Post
Paul/ Nick thanks,

I just could not wait so I snuck off to the shop last night and preped up a coffee can to shoot. Only thing around that I could find that had round corners. Did the black with the saphire blue ice crystal pearl mixed at 1tsp / qt. shot one wet coat of pearl and the base started to take on the blue hue when viewed directly. So, I thinned it 50% and tried it again.... I think that I got what I am looking for.. It still looks black but when the light hits it just right, the blue pops out. Really won't know until I see it in the sun. I'll try the pearl Purple next. Oh, yes I know what spider is and lace too.... shows my age I guess.

The set back dimension for the start of the hood scoop is 9 1/4" I used the basic dim as Archie posted for the Warber scoop. You can find more info on that by searching the Archives.

Tom
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rda738:
...what keeps the rain out of the front of car, trunk area?

Originally posted by oldfiero:
...on my scoop there is not lip at the bottom but is a smooth transition to the vent opening so that water does not pool up behind the vent opening. The water just simply drains into the area behind the radiator then on to the ground.

I've a question: Does your design also mean the front trunk compartment of the Fiero does not have to be cut, filed down, or otherwise altered --- or, if it does --- what are the desired modifications to it?

By the way, IMHO, yours are some very good-looking extractor vents!
anwalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2009 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anwalkerSend a Private Message to anwalkerDirect Link to This Post
That's correct. He did'nt cut or modify any thing in regards to the front trunk. When he did it that was one of the requirements of the design.
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2009 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:
I've a question: Does your design also mean the front trunk compartment of the Fiero does not have to be cut, filed down, or otherwise altered...?

Originally posted by anwalker:
He did'nt cut or modify any thing in regards to the front trunk. When he did it that was one of the requirements of the design.

Thank you for that clarification, anwalker. I would think that particular design requirement by oldfiero which you'd clarified would be a big plus for those of us on this forum who are considering such a hood modification.

oldfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldfieroSend a Private Message to oldfieroDirect Link to This Post
I will take a pic of the back side and photoshop in the backside cut dimensions. But basically you find the front most point of the gasket seal surface and move forward 1/4" and cut straight across the hood backing structure leaving the entire seal surface undisturbed.
black1987gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black1987gtSend a Private Message to black1987gtDirect Link to This Post
great job for a first time better than i couldve done on a good day with help lol can we see the finished product on the car? i wanna see how it looks on it

EDIT: spelling

[This message has been edited by black1987gt (edited 01-25-2009).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Have you put it on the car yet ??
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
Bumping to favorite.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock