Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Super Dookie 4 Cylinder - Commuter Car Mayhem... (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Super Dookie 4 Cylinder - Commuter Car Mayhem... by Blue Shift
Started on: 07-26-2008 12:42 AM
Replies: 88
Last post by: katore8105 on 07-05-2010 08:24 PM
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2008 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
Blue Shift: From what I've researched 87 was a transition year for the 2.5. All had DIS and just a few had the balance shafts/ oil pump arrangement. So if it has an external oil filter , it should not have the balance shafts/oil pump. Is this correct? Also what drives the oil pump in a 87 with an external oil filter. I did see an 87 2.5 with serpentine belt, external oil filter and DIS but the block was cracked.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

IP: Logged
matchmade

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2008 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for matchmadeSend a Private Message to matchmadeDirect Link to This Post
Saw this on eBay, thought you guys working on supercharging a duke might have a use for it.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
I have a 3.0 crank and rods, 1 pc rear main.

Paging mrossum, you have a call on line 1.
Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post
I've returned temporarily - The project is on hold for awhile, but I'm still looking around at getting ahold of a crank in the meanwhile. Another area I'm looking at is the cylinder head - if one wanted to make any power, you need airflow. I've been looking at the GMPP SD iron performance head, but had little information on it until I stumbled on this:

http://members.tripod.com/~thestickman/DUKE-HEADS (Hang on... "Stickman"? - hey, you never mentioned this stuff before!)

Provided the pictures are captioned correctly, it appears the iron head shares the same port spacing and bolt pattern as our heads, but have huuuuuge ports. They also appear to come in EGR and non EGR applications, which should come in handy when trying to build something that'll pass visual inspection here in the peoples republik of kalifornia. Now, I just gotta find a manifold that'll feed that thing...

Also found another tidbit of information - HOWEVER, it seems to be full of the same hearsay you see floating around on here commonly regarding the duke. For instance, the claim that the S-10 block is thickly cast like the SD block, though I personally disassembled one and found it look exactly like my 86' Fiero engine inside, not counting the 88 style crank. The part numbers may prove useful though: http://www.msministock.com/...%20Engine%20Info.pdf

Anyways, wanted to share this before I lost the links.
Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post

Blue Shift

867 posts
Member since Oct 2004
http://www.s-series.org/htm...erfParts/160-164.pdf

Hmm, the picture of the iron SD "Performance Head" seems to show a non crossflow head - probably intended for Jeeps or the old Chevy II or something. Suck.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
Superduty heads are crossflow. Most castings (322, 323, 775, 437, etc) have the same port spacing as the standard head. The 801 casting has the port centerlines moved. The non-crossflow heads are the HO Vortec 3000 heads as found in industrial applications and Mercruiser engines. No suck.
The_Stickman2

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blue Shift:

I've returned temporarily - The project is on hold for awhile, but I'm still looking around at getting ahold of a crank in the meanwhile. Another area I'm looking at is the cylinder head - if one wanted to make any power, you need airflow. I've been looking at the GMPP SD iron performance head, but had little information on it until I stumbled on this:

http://members.tripod.com/~thestickman/DUKE-HEADS (Hang on... "Stickman"? - hey, you never mentioned this stuff before!)

Provided the pictures are captioned correctly, it appears the iron head shares the same port spacing and bolt pattern as our heads, but have huuuuuge ports. They also appear to come in EGR and non EGR applications, which should come in handy when trying to build something that'll pass visual inspection here in the peoples republik of kalifornia. Now, I just gotta find a manifold that'll feed that thing...

Also found another tidbit of information - HOWEVER, it seems to be full of the same hearsay you see floating around on here commonly regarding the duke. For instance, the claim that the S-10 block is thickly cast like the SD block, though I personally disassembled one and found it look exactly like my 86' Fiero engine inside, not counting the 88 style crank. The part numbers may prove useful though: http://www.msministock.com/...%20Engine%20Info.pdf

Anyways, wanted to share this before I lost the links.

Well I never really mention the iron head as, well aluminum is better. Yes it looks stock. UNTIL you look at the intake. Unless the Holley flange is bigger than stock there is no "stockish" TBI intake out there. The Edelbrock TBI has notches out of the top of the flange. So unless you are allowed to run a Super Duty intake there is no sense in trying to fool the visual inspection in Cali. BTW the EGR head is the rarest of the rare. I have NEVER seen one and never heard of anyone with one.

------------------
My sites
http://the-stickman.tripod.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheStickman

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
Bumping so I can find it to favorite this page. Also saving from the archives.
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
So has anything ever happened with this build? I would love to hear about it if there is more to it!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock