Gaskets for 3.4 pushrod - what to order by divinesnail01
Started on: 04-24-2010 09:25 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: DandRauto on 04-25-2010 11:37 PM
divinesnail01

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for divinesnail01Send a Private Message to divinesnail01Direct Link to This Post
Ok I can't believe I don't know this. I'm even more surprised that I didn't find it in a search.

I'm working on my 3.4 pushrod car. I'm getting ready to order the gasket set in preparation for reinstalling heads, etc, and I just realized that I don't know what to order.

I know the 3.4 and 2.8 share very similar dimensions, but are they identical? In other words, am I ordering a gasket set for the Fiero, or am I ordering a gasket set for the 94(?) Camaro that the engine came out of?

Is there a general consensus on a favorite / best brand of gaskets?

Thanks all.

'snail
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I think we have all gone through this at one point. It's pretty straightforward assuming you swapped the normal Fiero parts on the 3.4L.

Oil pan, timing cover, and water pump gasket - Fiero 2.8L and year specific, i.e. 85-86 or 87-88. Now if you did the impeller swap on the stock 3.4L reverse rotation water pump so you could use the 3.4L timing cover then use the 3.4L gaskets.

Head gaskets - use the 3.4L (same exact heads though)

Intake manifold gasket set. Use the Fiero set. It's a universal gasket set that has more gaskets than you need.

Rear main seal - use the 3.4L

Exhaust gaskets - use the Fiero 2.8L
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by divinesnail01:
I know the 3.4 and 2.8 share very similar dimensions, but are they identical?

Originally posted by Hudini:
Head gaskets - use the 3.4L (same exact heads though)

More specifically, divinesnail01, you'll want to get the head gaskets for the 3.4L not because of the cylinder heads, which are indeed the same, but because of the 3.4L engine block's wider cylinder bores.

Originally posted by divinesnail01:
Is there a general consensus on a favorite / best brand of gaskets?

I can't speak for everyone, but I'd go with FelPro gaskets.

Good luck to with your 3.4L engine swap project.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
If your original engine is an 85-86 and you intend to use your water pump, you must use the 85-86 oil pan. You should install the 3.4 oil pump but you will have to cut a notch into the pan baffle to make clearance for the larger 3.4 pickup.

If your original engine is an 87-88, you can use your pan with your water pump, or use the 3.4 oil pan. The 3.4 pan will install into the 85-87's without clearance problems. The 87-88 pan will need the baffle notched.

Here's a listing of the FelPro gaskets you will need when installing a 3.4 and using the 87, 88, or 3.4 oil pan and water pump.

The List,: Purchased for an 87 Fiero 2.8 V6, all FelPro brand gaskets: Also applies to the 88

TCS 45828 Timing Cover Set includes Water Pump gasket. This would be different for the 85-86 water pump.
MS 93045 Exhaust Manifold Gasket Set
VS 50077 R Valve Cover Set--Cork Valve Cover Gaskets also comes in the Intake Manifold Set
MS 93020 Intake Manifold Set, includes lower, intermediate and upper gaskets.
OS 34501 R Oil Pan Set. This would be different for the 85-86 oil pan.

If rebuillding a used engine, you would also need:

BS 40625 Rear Main Bearing Seal
3.4 head gasket set. Part Number unknown because I didn't pull the heads from my 3.4.
divinesnail01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for divinesnail01Send a Private Message to divinesnail01Direct Link to This Post
I should clarify - I got the car "already swapped". Previous owner did not correctly manage the coolant, with the expected warped head / bad head gasket results.

I'm just in process of putting it back together to put it on the road.

thanks all, for the help.
DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Now if you did the impeller swap on the stock 3.4L reverse rotation water pump so you could use the 3.4L timing cover then use the 3.4L gaskets.

Whats involved in this Impeller swap? Would like to keep the 3.4 timing cover that came with the engine. Was there write up on this?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock