Alternator heat shield by raysr11
Started on: 01-28-2010 04:38 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: css9450 on 01-30-2010 05:49 PM
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post
I installed an '88 Fiero alternator on my '85 2.8 GT yesterday. I also installed Dickman's idler pulley kit. When I went to put the alt heat shield back on I noticed that the position of the alt had changed somewhat upwards. The heat shield hits the end of the exhaust manifold. Easily fixed by cutting a small piece of the shield out where it interferes with the manifold. My question is, is this common?
Also, I highly recommend the '88 alt swap, 105 amp, as many have in this forum. My headlites go up twice as fast, on and on. I did not, however, have to pop the tie rod out. When I removed the alt bracket, the alt nearly rolled out on the floor.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gwain

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post
I did the same upgrade not too long ago. All of my heatshields are chrome plated, so I wanted to keep the alternator shield, even if it was just for show.

I didn't install the idler pulley, but mine was close to the exhaust manifold as well. I just played with the mounting bolt and alligment of the shield and left it in place as is.

Marc

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT newly on the road
  • 86 SE/GT "The Chameleon" - big plans!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by raysr11:

When I went to put the alt heat shield back on I noticed that the position of the alt had changed somewhat upwards.

Is the back of the alternator "clocked" in the correct position?

I did not, however, have to pop the tie rod out. When I removed the alt bracket, the alt nearly rolled out on the floor.

Either you have a manual tranny, and/or the '88 alternator is physically smaller than the older version.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-28-2010).]

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
When I did the 88 alt. swap used a metal bar to offset the shield to the rear since the 88 alt. does not have a mounting hole in the same place.

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Either you have a manual tranny, and/or the '88 alternator is physically smaller than the older version.

X2 with the auto it looks like taking the alternator out is like having a root canal.

raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post
Taking it out wasn't really that bad. But when I got it all out I noticed a MM bolt was missing. When I took the alt bracket off it too had a lower bolt missing. So after raising the engine and getting a top bolt in I thought that was it. But when I put the alt bracket back on, low and behold the missing MM bolt was the missing alt bolt! Duh!
In the pix above the alt looks further to the left than mine. Also did you make that notch for the alt plug? I had to make one for mine, the shield rubbed on the wire too hard. And I had to notch it to clear the exhaust manifold. Not a big deal.

As far as the clocking, it looked the same as the one I took off, it was a CS also, don't know what it came off of. The only thing I would recommend is to be sure and put anti-sieze on the top alt bolt, for future removal. I thought that sucker was going break off in the aluminum for sure. My Notch is an auto.

[This message has been edited by raysr11 (edited 01-28-2010).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

But when I got it all out I noticed a MM bolt was missing.

What's an "MM bolt"?

raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post
Motor Mount bolt.
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
I did the '88 alt upgrade to my '86 when I was rebuilding it. I've got a 4t60 auto swapped in too, so it makes replaceing the alt interesting... I haven't had to do it yet, but I expect that when I do, I'll have to remove the alt bracket to do so.

On the heat shield, I just left mine off. There aren't heat shields on the '88 so I figured that the internally cooled CS130 alt didn't really need it anyway. Also, the heat shield can actually channel more heat into the alt casing via conduction through the mounting bolt.

[This message has been edited by Alibi (edited 01-29-2010).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alibi:

On the heat shield, I just left mine off. There aren't heat shields on the '88 so I figured that the internally cooled CS130 alt didn't really need it anyway.

The 88s however have a small sheild attached to the exhaust manifold mounting studs that provides the same purpose as the 85-87 alternator heat sheild.
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
This is what the '88's have:

PFF
System Bot
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post
Wow, what a sharp engine.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
Thats Very nice ! - (isn't That the Exaust Gasket they say "not to use ?( wide band, no room for flex)) Now that I'm looking at the pic, I'm seeing all the parts (shields) that have been thrown away by previous owners on mine ! Off to the Mall !
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Now that I'm looking at the pic, I'm seeing all the parts (shields) that have been thrown away by previous owners on mine ! Off to the Mall !

LOL! I was just thinking the same thing; I never realized there were little clips to secure the wiring harness to the lower portion of the block. I need to find those.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock