Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Getrag does not have 1st and 2nd gear after changing clutch - Help please

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Getrag does not have 1st and 2nd gear after changing clutch - Help please by TKDchamp
Started on: 01-02-2010 05:38 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: TKDchamp on 01-04-2010 11:17 PM
TKDchamp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKDchampSend a Private Message to TKDchampDirect Link to This Post
I just finished replacing the clutch in my 1988 GT. Before replacing the clutch they worked fine and the clutch was just slipping. Now that everything is back together I only have 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse. Help?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TKDchamp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKDchampSend a Private Message to TKDchampDirect Link to This Post
update:

I had a mechanic look at it. There seems to be a rod that goes down into the trans that seems to be stuck. Does that make sense to anyone?
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
Make sure the select arm on the trans (the one that moves up and down) is installed correctly. The small pin has to be in the slot of the collar on the shaft. If it is below the collar this would happen.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TKDchamp:

update:

I had a mechanic look at it. There seems to be a rod that goes down into the trans that seems to be stuck. Does that make sense to anyone?

I am sure it has something to do with the cables. Double check them and the way the select cable is routed. Bet you have the select cable in a bind or out of adjustment.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2010 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a select cable/lever problem. On the Getrag, the select cable is not adjustable since the hole on the transmission lever isn't slotted. I'd check for an improperly installed select lever on the shaft as Rodney said, or a coin or some other foreign object that's fallen in the in-car shifter mechanism.
TKDchamp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKDchampSend a Private Message to TKDchampDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Make sure the select arm on the trans (the one that moves up and down) is installed correctly. The small pin has to be in the slot of the collar on the shaft. If it is below the collar this would happen.

How much travel should the shaft have? It seems to be moving less than an inch.

p.s. Thanks for helping out!
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
I had problems getting "into" first gear. This would be with the engine running. When it was off I could get into gear.. Is this your problem too or can you get in first gear and let out the clutch and you don't go anywhere?

I had to bleed the clutch to fix my problem... I would still check everyone suggestions too.

----------
Just checked

When the car in first gear or any gear, there is 1/8 or less in play with the bottom loop bracket. When the car is in neutral the arm with the big loop on it when play 1/2" either direction, pushing it down or up, and you should be able to move the shorter upper bracket from side to side, changing gears inside the tranny. I have a picture too.. Hold on
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006
I left it big for viewing

TKDchamp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKDchampSend a Private Message to TKDchampDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

That was the exact problem. It's fixed now. Thank you so much.
TKDchamp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKDchampSend a Private Message to TKDchampDirect Link to This Post

TKDchamp

195 posts
Member since Aug 2009

Originally posted by unboundmo:

I had problems getting "into" first gear. This would be with the engine running. When it was off I could get into gear.. Is this your problem too or can you get in first gear and let out the clutch and you don't go anywhere?

I had to bleed the clutch to fix my problem... I would still check everyone suggestions too.

----------
Just checked

When the car in first gear or any gear, there is 1/8 or less in play with the bottom loop bracket. When the car is in neutral the arm with the big loop on it when play 1/2" either direction, pushing it down or up, and you should be able to move the shorter upper bracket from side to side, changing gears inside the tranny. I have a picture too.. Hold on

Thanks for the pic. It was a big help.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock