Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Rodney's "True Cold Air Intake System" (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Rodney's "True Cold Air Intake System" by shinesley
Started on: 09-06-2009 11:47 AM
Replies: 91
Last post by: hksteck84 on 01-14-2010 02:24 PM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by shinesley:

Ahh, Tower Shops. Gotta get over there some Firday nite.

Hah, yeah...

Honestly, I think I've only been there maybe twice in the past 4 years.

I went there once the weekend I got my Pontiac Solstice in December of 2005, and then once maybe 2 years ago...

It really is a great show... I just never have time to go.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1981 EZ-GO Xi875-A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

IP: Logged
Chelo Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2009 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chelo FieroClick Here to visit Chelo Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chelo FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

What you people didn't see was the little square cut out in the baffle. It is the size of a screwdriver tip and lets water bypass the whole assembly right into the stock air canister. Look at this picture and imagine the opposite half having the same cutout.

the inclination of the baffle suggest that it is intended to reduce (retune) sound; if it were intended to hold watter the inclination would be backwards.
here an example in a flowmaster. just thinking loud!!!! maybe im wrong

[This message has been edited by Chelo Fiero (edited 09-17-2009).]

JoeS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JoeSSend a Private Message to JoeSDirect Link to This Post
I just did this mod yesterday. Meant to do it for awhile, and seeing all the posting pushed me to get it done. I have always been happy with Rodney products. Mod was pretty easy, although took a little longer due to hardware issues, rusted bolt here, spent fastener there. Instructions should be re-written and photos, like the one on the 1st page of this discussion added (sorry Rodney). As far as result, sounds great. Performance, jury out. Personally I like the cleaner designer. On performance, well I have a K&N in my Firebird, and an upgraded MAF, and recall a lot of writing on how the design creates better air flow. I would think the same would apply here, but agree it would be minor. If I had more time to spend on this, I would really thing about dropping a K&N cone in the side section near the intake. It would solve the hot air issue of being in the bay. Than again, what would I really gain. I vote thumbs up on Rodney, and think the True CAI claim is a fair description.
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
What if you added a venturi to the cold air intake to accelerate the flow of air? Or would it just be the same amount of air at a faster rate?
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2009 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
Faster air is no bonus, you need more volume and slower air to equal a lower pressure drop. if the air is rushing to get someplace it's because there is a pressure drop. In engines that is bad unless you are forcing the air in by using a turbo or Supercharger.
88GT.FASTBACK

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-22-2009 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GT.FASTBACKSend a Private Message to 88GT.FASTBACKDirect Link to This Post
Whats wrong with taking the outside air grill cover off and drilling a hole through the baffle. Should take about 2 minutes….
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GT.FASTBACK:

Whats wrong with taking the outside air grill cover off and drilling a hole through the baffle. Should take about 2 minutes….

The problem is the air tube still causes turbulance when hanging off to the side, and can be replaced by a 3" air tube, allowing better flow.
There is also the cross at the bottom of the air can to be improved upon, using either:
- Rodney's base or
- An air can from an 80's gm car which requires
. - modifying the base of the new air can I also built a new lower elbow, however the stock one could be used
. - as well as relocating the fuel vapor can, or a different intake between the air can and the tb.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/096287.html

this gives the car dragon breath (intake whistle) without installing the filter in the fenderwell.
88GT.FASTBACK

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-22-2009 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GT.FASTBACKSend a Private Message to 88GT.FASTBACKDirect Link to This Post
Sorry Daniel, I was referring to the sound.
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2009 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
For the sound the base restriction being removed mada a big difference.
I had the cold air tube at first for a year, then did the other air box, and it was a louder change than the cold air tube. The cross in the bottom was a large restriction, 3* 1/4+" slits and the centre was a 1"or larger restriction, mostly the turbulance from the blockage more than anything else.
88GT.FASTBACK

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-23-2009 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GT.FASTBACKSend a Private Message to 88GT.FASTBACKDirect Link to This Post
I went ahead and drilled a 2 3/4" hole through the baffle. There is definitely a difference in sound, Kind of like sucking on a slurpy.
The problem is my exhaust system is so loud you can not hear the air suction unless you put your ear by the air intake.
This cost me nothing, took no time at all, and can be restored with a blank to cover the hole.

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiDirect Link to This Post
I think the "water separator" works by forcing water-laden air around that 180 degree bend, "flinging" any entrained water to the outside of the device. Where it would go at that point, I don't know - but I know air conditioning packs on commercial airplanes use a similiar principle to dry incoming air, although airplanes actually use a spiral-shaped enclosure to separate the air and water.

Not saying it works, but I find it more than coincidential that the shape of this thing forces the air to take a big turn and GM also happens to call the thing a "water separator". Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Actually, I bet that this thing is designed to fling entrained water to the outside of the bend and have it drip down to the bottom. The engine will not suck up liquid (non-aerated) water if there's space for air to pass through, so water will accumulate in this device until it runs out through that little notch at the bottom and out through the intake.

[This message has been edited by masospaghetti (edited 01-14-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
hksteck84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hksteck84Send a Private Message to hksteck84Direct Link to This Post
Well i have to take mine out anyway cause i keep dropping tools in the open hole and cant get them back out....lol
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock