Started on: 08-11-2009 02:42 PM
Replies: 38
Last post by: greasemonke50613 on 08-23-2009 09:14 AM
greasemonke50613

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2009 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
84 2.5 4 speed car, PO has messed with the fan rather than fixing it right, it's on when the key in the run position, gets quite annoying when trying to diagnose problems, how hard is it to install a manual fan switch? what wires should i tap into? also, what should the fan switch on the block have 4 resistance when the engine is cool?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
The problem with answering this easily is that some '84 Fieros came with a heavy duty cooling system with a two speed fan and others came with a single speed fan. And then some had A/C and others not, and of course there was any combination or permutation of the two. They all have different wiring schematics so you'll need to tell us which one you have before we can help out. First, does the car have A/C? Next, check your RPO codes on the inner wheel well arch on the front driver's side under the hood. Look for RPO code V08 (heavy duty cooling). Then post what configuration you have.
greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2009 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
i can tell you as i sit here the car did have A/C when she rolled off the factory line, doesn't have the compressor anymore. i'll look 4 that RPO code tonight after i get home from class...about 700 my time.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
3 possibilites:

1. You have the 2-speed system, so this is normal.
2. There's something wrong with the fan switch or relay (always closed)
3. The P.O. already installed a manual switch and it's on.

As Bloozeberry said - you need to find out what you have first.

------------------

World of Wheels Winners
My 3.4L S/C 87 GT
& Super Duty 4 Indy

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-17-2009).]

TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post
If the car had AC then it has a two speed fan. Is the fan on low or high speed? If it's on low, it can come on two ways, by selecting AC on the climate control unit or when the engine temp reaches 220* as determined by the temp switch on the head. If the high speed is on, that happens two ways as well. The engine reaches 248* as per the same temp switch on the head (it's a two position switch) or when the pressure in the AC compressor reaches 400psi (I think that's the number).
Without looking at your car, my guess is that the fan is on the high speed and, because you say the AC was removed, someone removed the wires from the back of the AC compressor and one of them is pinched somewhere which will cause the fan to come on. I have seen this happen before.
redfieroman2

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2009 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redfieroman2Send a Private Message to redfieroman2Direct Link to This Post
damnit my 84 has A/C but i dont see the RPO on the parts list or whatever u called it

there goes my dreams of a perfect 84.... Sunroof, power everything, AC, but no RPO =(

[This message has been edited by redfieroman2 (edited 08-11-2009).]

Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure if I have the same issue or not, but I can always feel a very slight breeze coming through my vents when I have evrything sealed up. Even when I have my fan set to completely off. Never thought much of it until now.
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shill:

I'm not sure if I have the same issue or not, but I can always feel a very slight breeze coming through my vents when I have evrything sealed up. Even when I have my fan set to completely off. Never thought much of it until now.

I believe the original poster was talking about the radiator fan, at least I hope so because that's what I was referring to in my previous post. As for the ventilation fan, I don't believe it is ever off unless the OFF button on the climate control panel is off, regardless of the switch position.
greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2009 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
the interior fan is never off unless you press the off button, it will spin very slowly when it's in the lowest setting and "on"

i am referring to the rad fan, it's a two speed unit i believe, because it seems to be spinning on high, it's seems to be spinning too fast to be on "low". i will look around when i get home later on today as far as the a/c goes, what color wires should i look for? i do have 2 wires just floating around on the intake side of my 'duke one is green, other is yellow

im not sure where the a/c compressor should sit, the mounts are nowhere to be seen so i believe they were removed when the engine was swapped. i'm finding more problems here and there with their install (timing was off, etc.) i'll take a look @ the car when i get back home, spent last night @ the blazer working on it as it's closer to my class & stuff. i'll look into it and post back, maybe by then someone will post where the a/c compressor should sit too...who knows lol.

thanks for the pointers so far +'s 4 every1

[This message has been edited by greasemonke50613 (edited 08-11-2009).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

If the car had AC then it has a two speed fan.

Are you absolutely sure there TONY_C? I don't doubt it's possible in '84, but I ask because the '86 service manual separates the fan circuits into three distinct configurations:

a. 2.4L with single speed fan, no A/C, no heavy duty cooling (V08) (uses one SPST temp switch and one SPST relay);
b. 2.4L with single speed fan, A/C, no V08 (uses one SPST temp sw, two SPST pressure switches, and two SPST relays); and
c. 2.4L with two speed fan, A/C, and V08 (uses one SPST and one SPDT temp switches, two SPST pressure switches, and one SPST relay and one SPDT relay.

If these were also available in '84, it's possible that Greasemonkey had A/C with a single speed fan.
greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2009 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
OK, spending the day with the car, gotta get my quality time with her in. i'll look up that RPO code quickly and post up if i find it as thats the only other thing i needed to tell you guys

no heavy duty cooling, RPO V08

[This message has been edited by greasemonke50613 (edited 08-12-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Are you absolutely sure there TONY_C? I don't doubt it's possible in '84,

According to the service manual for 84, non AC cars had one speed fan, AC cars had 2 speed fans. I know that the 84's I had followed this logic, I have had both AC and non AC 84's.
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post

TONY_C

2747 posts
Member since May 2001
Greasemonkey, the AC was located on the exhaust side of the engine. I'm sorry I don't know the wire color, I don't have the manual handy, although yellow or purple seems to be what I'm thinking. Look around that general area for loose wires, they may still have the connector on it, the two wires that went to the AC are not to the same connector on the AC so they will be individual wires and not taped together. Also check the wires that pass along the front of the engine just above the timing cover. They should be in a plastic track with a cover but a lot of times that is gone by now and those wires can chafe on the water pump pulley.
greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2009 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
i'll let her cool off and have a look see @ the exhaust side, just got back from lunch and i'm not too fond of heat or getting burnt. (had heat stroke just a few times in my 20 yrs)

side note: it popped 42 on the way home from lunch. ran fine though, no hesitation or anything...

[This message has been edited by greasemonke50613 (edited 08-12-2009).]

greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2009 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post

greasemonke50613

1005 posts
Member since Mar 2009
alright, i checked the exhaust side of the engine for wires just hanging around and saw absolutely none.
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by greasemonke50613:

alright, i checked the exhaust side of the engine for wires just hanging around and saw absolutely none.

If you disconnect the connector at the coolant temp switch, the one on the head, exhaust side near cylinder four, does the fan go off? It's a small rectangular connector with two wires on it.

[This message has been edited by TONY_C (edited 08-12-2009).]

greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2009 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
i believe i've unplugged that one before to no avail
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post

i believe i've unplugged that one before to no avail

well then, unless either of those two wires are shorted, the coolant temp switch is not causing the fan to come on. one wire is for low speed and the other is high speed. It has to be either the climate control in the car or the wire from the compressor, something is making a path to ground and turning on the fan relay.
greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2009 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
bloozberry knows i hate wiring...knows how much i hate wiring...and i know nothing as far as what i'm doing with it. how should i go about testing to see if its going to ground? i think i know in my head but want to verify. just tap into a wire and ohm it to ground?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Before I spend a bunch of time scanning in the wrong wiring schematics, have a look at your coolant fan relay in the front compartment and count the number of wires running into it. There should be either four or six. Let me know how many and I'll know which drawings to post to help identify some of the wires dangling around in the engine bay.
greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2009 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
assuming i'm lookin @ the right object (located in front of the drivers headlamp) there are 6 wires running into/out of it
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Here's the drawings of the circuit you most probably have in your car. Go over them and try to match wire colors to be sure it's what you have. I'll explain the circuit operation tomorrow when I have some more time... right now it's pool time!

greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2009 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
blooz, a pool sounds very good right now. i just got back from a relaxing bike ride. but at the same time, billiards sounds very good as well! didja get my PM about the headlight wirin harness by the way? i'll print these off and see what i find, i might as well just print out my entire Fiero 2 gig memory stick as well and place them in binders, might as well collect the complete set for all years too and have them on my book shelf...goal is to own one of each model of each year some day, and rotate thru them all so they all get driven!
greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2009 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
wire colors are correct, only i dont see a brown wire anywhere, and there's a pair of light green/white wires
greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2009 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post

greasemonke50613

1005 posts
Member since Mar 2009
bump 4 evening crowd. i'm gunna eat i think... will chk bk l8r
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

blooz, didja get my PM about the headlight wirin harness by the way?

PM sent
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

Bloozberry

7760 posts
Member since Jan 2009

wire colors are correct, only i dont see a brown wire anywhere, and there's a pair of light green/white wires

Are you talking about the wires at the fan relay or somewhere else? Peel back the tape on the light green/white wires until you get a better look at the original colors... GM didn't use light green/white back then.
greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2009 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
@ the fan relay. i'll take another look tomorrow in the daylight, heck i'll just take a pic of it and post it, just gotta get some daylight. found my charger for MY camera, co i should be able to get some halfway decent pics, my grandparents camera sucks. theirs is 5 megapixels, mine is 8
greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-14-2009 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
lookin @ the right thing, correct?

waiting on my camera's charger and i'll take better pics. my grandparents one is taking a dump finally. old as heck camera

[This message has been edited by greasemonke50613 (edited 08-14-2009).]

greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-14-2009 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post

greasemonke50613

1005 posts
Member since Mar 2009
late night bump
greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-15-2009 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
early afternoon bump
PFF
System Bot
greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-16-2009 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
sunday morning bump/
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2009 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Hey Greasemonkey,

I haven't got an '84 to confirm 100%, but that looks like what the fan relay should for the two speed fan. I'll get some time tomorrow to help you troubleshoot it.
greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-16-2009 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
alright. i appreciate it blooz, you seem VERY knowledgeable about these cars. great person to have on the board. i wish we could give people more than 1 +'s
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2009 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Hey Greasemonkey,

I haven't got an '84 to confirm 100%, but that looks like what the fan relay should for the two speed fan. I'll get some time tomorrow to help you troubleshoot it.

You have a two speed fan and fan relay.
86Red2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2009 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86Red2M6Send a Private Message to 86Red2M6Direct Link to This Post
Let me know what the outcome of this is... I have a 1988 IROC that does the same thing. I have swapped relays, checked circuits and traced everything on the schematic to a tee. Fan still runs constantly, I have just lived with it for the last 14 years. (Gave up when everything checked out okay.) Really curious as to what could cause this.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2009 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
It would be helpful when you take the better photos if you unscrewed the relay from the wall and took a picture of the bottom view of the relay.

Basically though, since you know the fan does work (you're just not sure whether it's on high or low speed), then, from the above schematic you also know that the red wire from the fusible link to the relay, and the black wire from the fan to ground are working. So that's two out of seven wires already troubleshot. You also know that at least one of the high speed or low speed solenoids in the relay are working or else it wouldn't turn on, so that means the wire that comes from the FAN E fuse to the relay is also good. Three down, four to go.

To puzzle out which of the two circuits is on all the time (high or low speed), you'll have to turn off the A/C control head (regardless if the rest of the system's been removed), unplug the coolant fan relay connector, and probe all the wires with green on them using a multimeter set on ohms. Put one lead on the wire and the other to ground, and note which wires show zero ohms. We can take it from there once you know this info.
greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2009 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
i'll take better pics with my camera as soon as i get my stinkin charger in...paid 2nd day air shippin on it last thursday.... still not here... I'll also make sure to take the relay loose and snap a pic of the bottom of it, i'll run these tests later today, i have my motor mounts finally for my 350 swap in my blazer, so their getting painted etc. tonight, i'll look into the fiero while i wait for paint to dry, but pics wont be for a little while yet, till i get the charger for my camera in.

you want the plug on it or off it? screw it, i'll take both

[This message has been edited by greasemonke50613 (edited 08-17-2009).]

greasemonke50613

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2009 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for greasemonke50613Send a Private Message to greasemonke50613Direct Link to This Post
spaced this damn problem off lol.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock