Temperature gauge adjustment? by David DeVoe
Started on: 07-27-2009 08:50 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: sjmaye on 07-29-2009 04:32 AM
David DeVoe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
Can I remove the pointer from the temp gauge and reset back to the original start point? When I turn the key on the pointer starts out 1/4 of the way to the middle of the gauge. It has never gone past the center of the gauge but it bothers me that it starts out wonky. Can I reset it without damaging the gauge internally?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Well I'm not sure if you are supposed too, but, I had the needle fall off of mine and I stuck it back on pointing just below 100. When I started the car, it read above 100 and then climbed up to 220. That is higher than normal so the next morning, I pulled it off and set it back a little further. It's pretty close now. So I guess you can if you want.
fffttt1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Direct Link to This Post
I attempted to reset my needle by pulling it off and moving to zero. When I pulled ......the needle and shaft came out. Could never get it back in properly. Had to pick up a used gauge. Be careful!!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-27-2009 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Just like Katatak, I too had my needle fall off once. I knew where the needle is supposed to be when the fan comes on. I started my car, let it run, and when the fan kicked on, I set the needle back on. That was about 5 years ago. No issues since.

Tony
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Your problem doen't sound like a calibration problem since in your case, the needle only ever operates in about a quarter scale arc. It should be able to move in a full arc. You can test whether your gauge actually has the ability to move in through it's full arc by unplugging the the light green wire on the coolant temperature sender and temporarily grounding it while the ignition switch is in run. The needle should sweep to the hot end of the scale quickly. If it doesn't, then re-positioning your needle won't solve your problem.

Try that out first and if you don't get the right results, do a search for coolant temp gauge for any number of posts going into detail what to do next. If you can't find what you need, then just post again and I or someone else will help walk you through it.
David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info all. Bloozberry, I'll try that asap.
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fffttt1:

I attempted to reset my needle by pulling it off and moving to zero. When I pulled ......the needle and shaft came out. Could never get it back in properly. Had to pick up a used gauge. Be careful!!

Same here. My needle must have been super glued on.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock