Started on: 07-14-2009 03:52 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: infinitewill on 07-19-2009 12:00 PM
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
In the archives is a thread about replacing the GIANT T-handle auto shifter with an assortment of other handles.

Chopped auto shifter (with pics)

One thing I have not been able to figure out from these posts is what they did with the control rod that goes down through the shifter. Several said they cut down the plastic rod but what did they do to the end they cut? The top is a smaller diameter than the main "beaded" diameter. Using a piece of steel rod was said to work but again what did they do to the end? Have any of you done this?

The milled upper end is about .231", the overall width is about .309" at the "bead". If I cut about 1.5" off the top (or is it better to do the bottom?) the end diameter is going to be about .117" and the bottom end is tapered to a near point. Does this shape have to be matched or can a cut flat end used?

I would rather make the rod modification before I cut down the shifter arm.

TIA

Wil

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
I have cut a section out of the center and let it sit one on the other inside the shifter as 2 pieces. Never caused any problems, the "beads" keep it centered well enough.
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Mike!

Once again you are a wealth of information!

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
The last time I seen something that looked like that was back in college. My girlfrined at the time had something like that in here toy chest
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I just cut the bottom and it seemed to work fine. I'm using a leather wrapped Corvette shifter knob - a little more compact than the similar Cavalier/Sunbird knobs.

------------------

World of Wheels Winners
My 3.4L S/C 87 GT
& My SD4 Indy

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I just cut the bottom and it seemed to work fine. I'm using a leather wrapped Corvette shifter knob - a little more compact than the similar Cavalier/Sunbird knobs.

I used the same one you did and by the looks of your photo you cut 1.5" off the shifter arm as I did? At first I wasn't too crazy about the big square button but anything is better then the GIANT sized, stock t-handle IMHO. Who the heck did they think was drivin' these things André The Giant??? I ended up buying .25" aluminum rod, measuring the stock insert rod and subtracting 1-1/2" and cutting the new rod to that length. Then I chucked the new rod in a drill and using a grindstone on my Dremmel I shaped the new rod end to the original rod's profile. Took about 5 minute to do. I don't know why I was so unsure but being that this car is going to be my son's, I don't want to leave him stranded somewhere.

I now need to replace the shifter boot, mine is rather ragged.

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 07-15-2009).]

RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

...I now need to replace the shifter boot, mine is rather ragged.

I have Rodney's automatic shifter boot. Excellant quality!

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft Tilt Bed Trailer

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RickN:

Gotta tell you, everything I have ever seen of his has been top quality. Maybe I better get one ordered.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2009 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
What I plan to do, is get the black leather momo auto-look shifter, and get a manual console with a manual shift boot. and shorten the shifter of course.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-16-2009).]

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2009 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Me too! That's what I have with the Corvette knob in the picture I posted above.

project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2009 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

At first I wasn't too crazy about the big square button but anything is better then the GIANT sized, stock t-handle IMHO. Who the heck did they think was drivin' these things André The Giant???

I definitely agree with your comments about the alternative shifter knob pictured above, infinitewill, as well as your amusing comments regarding the GIANT size of the stock shifter knob.

Although I didn't put it on a shortened shift lever, I also swapped out my stock, humongous-looking, automatic T-handle shifter knob for something whose aesthetic proportions, IMO, are much more in line with the size of a Fiero, as opposed to the size of a Peterbilt.

I bought my cheapo replacement shifter knob for $10 on eBay, described there as a "82-92 93-03 CAMARO BLACK RUBBER SHIFT SHIFTER KNOB." I don't know if despite that description, it's actually rubber, vinyl, or something else, but it's definitely not leather, and it lacks the stitching of the Corvette shifter knob pictured above in fierosound's post.

Nonetheless, I'm quite pleased with this replacement.

The appearance of mine is similar to the one in the picture below, except that it has no "dimple" on the rectangular button, and once installed in the car, the C-clip doesn't protrude at all, unlike the one in this picture:

In any event, I agree with you, infinitewill: Just about anything would be better than the stocker's T-handle; that thing is H-U-G-E, and it's not obvious why GM would have designed something as big as the stocker's T-handle for such a little car!

After all, it is a little Fiero we're talking about here --- not a Peterbilt, right?

PFF
System Bot
IIKool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2009 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolDirect Link to This Post
What is the grove at the top of the shifter for, When you cut the shifter down do you have to recut the grove at the top? If so how
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2009 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IIKool:

What is the grove at the top of the shifter for, When you cut the shifter down do you have to recut the grove at the top? If so how

If you are referring to the groves on the sides of the shifter arm, they are for seating the retaining clip that holds the shift knob in place (it slides in from the side facing the radio). I took my clip out and never replaced it. I suppose you could recut it but I never bothered with it.
RickN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2009 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

If you are referring to the groves on the sides of the shifter arm, they are for seating the retaining clip that holds the shift knob in place (it slides in from the side facing the radio). I took my clip out and never replaced it. I suppose you could recut it but I never bothered with it.

I think he's talking about the large vertical slot, looks like a keyway. I assume it has something to do with keeping the knob from rotating around the selector post but I don't know how much of it is needed.
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2009 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

I think he's talking about the large vertical slot, looks like a keyway. I assume it has something to do with keeping the knob from rotating around the selector post but I don't know how much of it is needed.

Ah, I misunderstood, yes I believe it is a keyway to keep the shift knob positioned. I cut mine down further using a Dremel cut off wheel, I cut it further down before I cut the shift arm's height down. That way I could use the original keyway as a guide. Since one of the sides of the cut off wheel is covered with a smooth label I let it rest against the cut keyway edge as a guide.

Once both sides were cut down far enough I cut the shift arm down by 1-1/2" and then ground out the scrap piece to create the new keyway.

an artists work is never done.......... hehehe....

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 07-19-2009).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock