How to remove VSS? by MordacP
Started on: 07-10-2009 06:41 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: MordacP on 07-12-2009 05:34 PM
MordacP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2009 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
I need to add gear lube after replacing my throwout bearing, but i cant get this VSS off. I removed the clamp thing and pulled as hard as i could, didn't budge. There's no good place to get leverage on it with a flat head. Is it supposed to pull straight out or is there another trick to it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2009 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
It's supposed to pull straight out, leather gloves work well.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2009 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
It's got an o-ring seal that often ends up seizing somewhat with the old silicone grease used when they were first installed. Try twisting it a bit and rocking it back and forth to break the o-ring free. Then pull straight up.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2009 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
Or remove the fill plug, and put it in the way you are supposed to.

Kevin
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2009 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Depending on the transmission, the VSS mount IS the fill port.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2009 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Depending on the transmission, the VSS mount IS the fill port.

Exactly which transmission would that be? Chilton manual I have, has a fill and drain plug for each of the transmissions used in the Fiero.

Kevin

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2009 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Drain plugs yes... but we're talking about fill ports here. To name a few, the 84 four speed Muncie, 85-86 four speed muncie on V6's, and all Isuzu five speeds use the VSS as the fill port. In fact, on all of these trannies, the oil level dipstick is incorporated on the VSS. I think you'll find that the Chilton's is less accurate than the GM service manual.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2009 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Drain plugs yes... but we're talking about fill ports here. To name a few, the 84 four speed Muncie, 85-86 four speed muncie on V6's, and all Isuzu five speeds use the VSS as the fill port. In fact, on all of these trannies, the oil level dipstick is incorporated on the VSS. I think you'll find that the Chilton's is less accurate than the GM service manual.

Not sure where you are getting your information, but it be wrong. I said fill and drain plugs. These units you mentioned, have both. I have two 84 four speeds, an 85, and an 86 four speed setting in my garage, and they all have the fill ports on the driver side, just above the output for the axle, and still have the factory plastic washer, telling you to use 5w30 oil. I also have an 84 service manual for the Fiero setting here in my lap, and it says quote "Checking fluid level. To check for proper fluid level in the transaxle case, remove the plug shown in figure 7B5. Add SAE 5W-30 engine oilSF,SF/CC or SF/CD, to bring the level flush with the bottom edge of filer opening. Replace plug and torque to specs". The plug in figure 7B5 would be the part numbered 9 in the exploded diagram. Next page gives part number 9 as the "Fill plug". I do not have an Isuzu or the factory manual for one, but I can plainly see the same plug in the Chilton manual pictures. Now it does appear that the Muncie 5 speed, had a coule dipstick arrangments, but one version, still has a fill plug on the side of the transaxle. Now I know the 5w30 oil is no longer the fluid of choice, but the location of the fill ports have not changed. I'm only trying to help the guy, letting him know, he more then likely needs not mess with the VSS, rather then give him a bunch of misinformation.

MordacP, if I were you, I would check the driver side of the transaxle. It will be tight, but I use one of the suction/pump guns you can get at the parts store for about 10 bucks. They are about the size of a grease gun, with a "T" handle on one end, and a section of hose on the other. Makes the filling process much easier.

Kevin.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2009 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Edited due to a server error.

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 07-11-2009).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2009 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

I'm only trying to help the guy, letting him know, he more then likely needs not mess with the VSS, rather then give him a bunch of misinformation.

Hey Lambo nut, you haven't got an exclusive on correct information just because you have an '84 service manual and a Chilton's, neither are you the only one who's trying to help here. We're both guilty of misinformation so you can get off your high horse.

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Not sure where you are getting your information, but it be wrong.

Here's what the '86 GM Service Manual says about all '86 transmissions. The '88 SM says the same for the Isuzu.

I'll admit I was wrong about the '84 and '85 four speeds as I checked a few of mine and found the side fill port with the plastic tag as well. Here's a picture of what you're talking about.

But my '86 four speed and the '87 Isuzu have rounded off tamper proof plugs where the "fill port" is. My guess is that GM decided it would be easier to fill the transmission from the top with a funnel through the VSS port rather than raising the car, and using a plunger-type oil filler gun.

Here's what my Isuzu looks like:

Also, here's what the '86 four speed VSS looks like (albeit, a little worse for wear). Notice the oil level marks as mentioned in the service manual.

As for the Getrag unit, I happen to have an '88 sitting here too. Some units may have had the fill port as you suggest, but mine clearly doesn't. In fact, to fill the transmission you would have to go very slowly though the dip stick tube since the small diameter of the tube wouldn't give it a chance to vent. So again, with this Getrag, you need to go through the VSS. If others have a different Getrag, maybe they could chime in whether their side filler port also has the tamper proof plug.

jsketcham

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2009 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jsketchamSend a Private Message to jsketchamDirect Link to This Post
yep yep, my 85 uses that to fill the oil level and it is also the dip stick to check the level. mine was siezed around the oring too and i destroyed the VSS removing it, but i had no other choice.. If it doesnt work like it should it needs replaced. VSS was cheaper than replacing a tranny with low oil levels.
PFF
System Bot
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2009 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
This looks like a fill plug to me. What is behind it? Opens to the inside of the case, or is it part of the system holding the trans together?

I was only suggesting not to use the VSS due to all the stories here of people dropping the speedo gear in the trans. No need to mess with that if you don't have to. Biggest problem we have here, is we never knew the exact transmission he was working with.

Kevin
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2009 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Agreed.

The bolt you pointed out in the photo is just a mounting bolt. I can retake the photo without it to show you if you like.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2009 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jsketcham:

my 85 uses that to fill the oil level and it is also the dip stick to check the level.

but i had no other choice..

That could have been your other choice, filling through the dipstick tube. Even if slow, better then tearing things up.

Also, is your trans the five speed, as the 85 and 86 four speeds I have, do not have a dip stick.

Kevin

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2009 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Lambo nut

4442 posts
Member since Sep 2003

Agreed.

The bolt you pointed out in the photo is just a mounting bolt. I can retake the photo without it to show you if you like.

No. I see now. That is where the mount bolts are on the four speed also.

I'm getting tire of running back and forth to my garage!

Kevin

MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2009 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help guys, I just jerked it around with some big pliers and it loosened up. all is well.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock