cooling fan in trunk??? 85SE by 85SEJAX
Started on: 06-01-2009 06:20 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: 85SEJAX on 06-01-2009 06:33 PM
85SEJAX

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2009 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEJAXSend a Private Message to 85SEJAXDirect Link to This Post
ok so I am relocating my battery in to the trunk of my car as to clear out space for my coil packs(3800SC) I pulled the trunk carpet out and found a cooling fan ??? I never realized that it was there. so on to my question.... can I remove it without causing catostrophic damages or would I be better off leaving it there?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2009 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post
that blower is for your alternator and ignition. it blows fresh cool air to help them stay cool and perform properly.
but this functionality is for a stock 2.8L or if you did a 3.4 pushrod, or 3.1 swap.
not for the 3800, just take her out as it wont be needed.

------------------
1986 FIERO SE V6 76K Miles Auto Power everything with all options (daily driver)
1988 FIERO Coupe "IRON DUKE" 5-Speed (the show car ;-)
1992 Firebird T-Tops V-8 24k original Florida miles(collectors car)

[This message has been edited by gtxbullet (edited 06-01-2009).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2009 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
That fan is NOT for your heater. It is a cooling fan that blows cool air on the alternator and coil (look for the little stainless pipes near each). Can't say if there would be any real adverse side effects of removing it, but clearly GM thought it was necessary.

Hey gtx, I see you changed your answer while I was typing! Now you have it right!

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 06-01-2009).]

2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2009 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
If you're pulling out the 2.8 then the fan won't be needed. You can also remove the 2 tubes from the trunk wall that pointed at the coil and the alternator. You can probably use the holes and the duct in the trunk to route your wires through
85SEJAX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2009 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEJAXSend a Private Message to 85SEJAXDirect Link to This Post
Heater?!?! its connected to some ducting that runs to where the alternator and the coil used to be.

nevermind the answer has changed

[This message has been edited by 85SEJAX (edited 06-01-2009).]

85SEJAX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2009 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEJAXSend a Private Message to 85SEJAXDirect Link to This Post

85SEJAX

80 posts
Member since Aug 2008
I already removed the 2.8 and have the 3.8 installed. I was hoping that I could just remove it and use the holes to route the wires through. Makes it easier then cutting another hole in the trunk. Thanks for the help guys!

James

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock