V8 swap radiator by V8IndyProject
Started on: 11-25-2008 09:15 PM
Replies: 52
Last post by: Rolling Thunder on 05-23-2009 12:09 AM
Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2008 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:I've seen the Alum Radiators on EBay (there's one on EBay right now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...IT&item=200276227512 I've been tempted to buy one to test myself. That EBay ad states that it's rated at 850 hp, I don't get how a radiator can be rated via hp. That statement is one of the main reasons I haven't bought one yet for testing.

Archie

I'm a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers student chapter at Texas A&M University and I've heard an instructor who teaches automotive classes explain the hp rating. An engine's power is split roughly into three different outputs: one is at the flywheel, one goes out the exhaust, and one is radiated as heat.

By this logic, a motor that makes 300hp at the flywheel actually makes 900hp total. It also says that if you have a motor with 300hp at the flywheel, you have to radiate 300hp of heat. This sounds odd, so lets talk about this in metric. 1hp = 746 Watts. This means that the radiator would have to be capable of dissipating 223.8 Kilowatts of heat. A Watt being a rating of Joules per second. This means that this is a rating with respect to time. That's 223.8 KiloJoules per second.

From wiki, I found these unit conversions:

1 joule is exactly 107 ergs.

1 joule is approximately equal to:

* 6.2415 ×1018 eV (electronvolts)
* 0.2390 cal (calorie) (small calories, lower case c)
* 2.3901 ×10−4 kilocalorie, Calories (food energy, upper case C)
* 9.4782 ×10−4 BTU (British thermal unit)
* 0.7376 ft·lbf (foot-pound force)
* 23.7 ft·pdl (foot poundals)
* 2.7778 ×10−7 kilowatt hour
* 2.7778 ×10−4 watt hour
* 9.8692 ×10−3 litre-atmosphere

Units defined in terms of the joule include:

* 1 thermochemical calorie = 4.184 J
* 1 International Table calorie = 4.1868 J
* 1 watt hour = 3600 J
* 1 kilowatt hour = 3.6 ×106 J (or 3.6 MJ)
* 1 ton TNT = 4.184 GJ

It is true that the radiator will cool differently based on your configuration. Fan flow rate, availability of cool air, etc. Also, how you run the engine. Your engine won't run at 300hp all the time. It may idle at 100hp.
IP: Logged
KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2008 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

I contacted the seller regarding this radiator on ebay; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...IT&item=200276227512

He states that it is much better regarding its capacity than the first radiator they offered that is still available for $155 which has a single 1" wide row spaced a 1/2" apart. The newer heavy duty model is made from stock radiators, has a 2" core and 11/16" rows spaced 3/8" apart. The core area is 19" x 14" and the listing states it is a 3 row radiator. I understand that 11/16" stacked on top of itself 3 deep is a little more than 2" wide but I'll assume it was rounded or ask for clarification when I get ready to buy one.

He also states that a little fitting will be required because the tanks are 1/4" wider and may not fit in the mounts perfectly but it is a tested fit otherwise.

I have one ordered and it will be here next tuesday. I'll post pictures of it after it arrives.

------------------

1999 GMC Jimmy 2dr 4x4
1996 Chevy Lumina LS

1986 Fiero Base Coupe...NO OPTIONS !!
1985 Fiero GT 3800 N/A-sometime this year 3800S/C..maybe
1984 Fiero Indy-Restoring back to former glory

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2008 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rolling Thunder:
An engine's power is split roughly into three different outputs: one is at the flywheel, one goes out the exhaust, and one is radiated as heat.

By this logic, a motor that makes 300hp at the flywheel actually makes 900hp total. It also says that if you have a motor with 300hp at the flywheel, you have to radiate 300hp of heat.

This is almost correct.

By this logic only about a third of the heat energy of gasoline end up at the flywheel.

That is about right, (maybe a little high even) but it's incorrect to say that the engine with 300 hp at the flywheel actually makes 900 hp.

That extra energy is just lost due to the inefficiency of the design of the internal combustion engine. There are ways to capture some of it as in a turbo, but the second law of thermodynamics tells us that it's impossible to capture all of it. So the hp measured at the flywheel is a true indication of how much of the energy of the gasoline is converted to useful work.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2008 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chelo Fiero:

Don`t get me wrong, i understand your point, i`m already using a copper/brass rad. in one of my fieros, it was made by a local shop using a 3 core panel and it fit perfect
the cost? $174.00 including 1gal. of coolant. But my point is that like conduction, radiation is a unique and independent form of heat transfer. Therefore, radiation is fundamentally different from conduction in that it describes the transfer of heat between two substances which are not in contact with each other. . How much heat an object radiates is determined by it's temperature, the temperature of the surrounding environment and the object's emissivity factor. So, in a car radiator or cooling system it`s fundamental the amount of energy or radiated heat that flows trough the cooling fan to be exchanged with fresher air and help mantein a lower temp.
So it`s a matter of preferences and necesitys.

The chart below gives the infrared radiation reflectivity (emissivity) of some common materials:

Material Reflectivity
Aluminum Bright 90-95%
Anodized 45%
Oxidized 70-80% most common in rads.
Brass Bright 97%
Oxidized 39%
Chromium Polished 92%
Copper Bright 95%
Oxidized 22% most common in rads.
Steel Polished 45%
Oxidized 15%
Nickel Polished 95%
Oxidized 5%
Zinc Bright 77%
Oxidized 77%
Paint White 10%
Black 14%
Rubber 6%
Water 8%

Even though it's called a "radiator" a car's cooling system transfers heat by conduction from the coolant to the radiator fins, and from conduction/convection to the atmosphere. Very little heat transfer is via radiation. Copper is a better CONDUCTOR of HEAT than aluminum. The reason to use aluminum is because it's LIGHTER. Aluminum radiators have to be larger to get the same heat transfer, but even larger they still weigh less than a comparable copper/brass radiator.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2008 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by jscott1:

This is almost correct.

By this logic only about a third of the heat energy of gasoline end up at the flywheel.

That is about right, (maybe a little high even) but it's incorrect to say that the engine with 300 hp at the flywheel actually makes 900 hp.

That extra energy is just lost due to the inefficiency of the design of the internal combustion engine. There are ways to capture some of it as in a turbo, but the second law of thermodynamics tells us that it's impossible to capture all of it. So the hp measured at the flywheel is a true indication of how much of the energy of the gasoline is converted to useful work.

Exactly. The amount of fuel used might have contained enough energy to create 900HP, but the engine is unable to convert all of that into useful work - the rest is given off as wasted heat, etc.
Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2009 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
There used to be this $200 Fiero V8 radiator on eBay that was triple core with an all aluminum construction.

So, I finally go to buy this thing and I don't see them on eBay anymore. Anyone remember the manufacturer?
IXSLR8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post
Champion was the name of the manufacturer.

Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I found the seller. I'm trying to see if he can get us more of these.
Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post

Rolling Thunder

1244 posts
Member since Aug 2008
The seller says that he'll have more in 10 days.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

The seller says that he'll have more in 10 days.

E-Bay seller or manufacturer? I called the manufacturer (Champion Cooling) directly and got the last two they had in stock for $155 each about 3 weeks ago. Shipping was discounted also @ $35 if I remember correctly. They did say that was introductory pricing and honored it because I bought more than one so you might not get the same deal but they still might be cheaper than a E-Bay reseller.
Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

E-Bay seller or manufacturer? I called the manufacturer (Champion Cooling) directly and got the last two they had in stock for $155 each about 3 weeks ago. Shipping was discounted also @ $35 if I remember correctly. They did say that was introductory pricing and honored it because I bought more than one so you might not get the same deal but they still might be cheaper than a E-Bay reseller.

I'll give them a call

Is this them? http://www.championcarradiators.co.uk/

[This message has been edited by Rolling Thunder (edited 05-22-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

I'll give them a call

Is this them? http://www.championcarradiators.co.uk/

Nope, try here. http://www.championcooling.com/
Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2009 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. The first one didn't look too promising.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock