Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Installed heatsink on distributor under ignition module (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Installed heatsink on distributor under ignition module by Patrick
Started on: 10-27-2008 02:39 AM
Replies: 63
Last post by: Patrick on 06-10-2009 02:37 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by larryfiero:

Ok everyone, I have taken pics of my modifications. I would like to take this new info to a new threaded titled “Ignition Module / Ignition Coil remote relocation.” I should have that posted shortly. Standby.

We're all standing. Go for it, Larry!

Here's a direct link to Larry's thread - Ignition Module / Ignition Coil remote relocation

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-09-2009).]

IP: Logged
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2009 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
I wanted to post pics of my heatsink install on an '86 4 cyl.

It is a heat sink off of an old AMD SlotA CPU.
I used the Artic Silver thermal adhesive to glue it on.
I had to cut the fins so the dist. hold down bolt would allow movement
and I turned the disrtibutor, and swaped the wires so the module is pointing down , for more cooling and so the heat sink would fit.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

fieroboom

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2009 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post
Patrick / Sardony, those both look like great parts-bin craftsmanship; good job! + for both of you. I'm interested in hearing how you feel it performs though, because I've always wondered if this mod would/could actually work in reverse, and carry heat from the (now nearer) EGR valve up to the dist. I'm fairly sure that the module will indeed get much warmer than it's ambient air, but Aluminum transfers heat so efficiently that I've always wondered... Any thoughts on the subject?
-Paul

------------------
Journal of a concept: http://southeastfieros.com >>> Build Thread >>> Parts thread (for project funding)

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2009 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroboom:

Patrick / Sardony, those both look like great parts-bin craftsmanship; good job! + for both of you. I'm interested in hearing how you feel it performs though, because I've always wondered if this mod would/could actually work in reverse, and carry heat from the (now nearer) EGR valve up to the dist.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the compliment on the "parts-bin craftsmanship".

It's been over seven months now since I added the heatsink, and it's worked like a charm. I had done away with the EGR tube for awhile and deleted the EGR with a custom PROM, but the gas mileage was so bad that I've replaced the EGR tube and put back the stock PROM.

It's my understanding that the ignition module gets a lot hotter than the air under the decklid, even by the EGR tube (which has an insulating "jacket" on it) and/or the EGR valve. Therefore I didn't anticipate any problems with the heatsink picking up heat from the engine compartment and transfering it to the ignition module, and nothing I've seen indicates that this is any sort of realistic problem.

I've bought an extra distributor to use as a spare and it's my intention to add a heatsink to it as well. I've been very pleased with this modification.
sparx22

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2009 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

I wanted to post pics of my heatsink install on an '86 4 cyl.

It is a heat sink off of an old AMD SlotA CPU.
I used the Artic Silver thermal adhesive to glue it on.
I had to cut the fins so the dist. hold down bolt would allow movement
and I turned the disrtibutor, and swaped the wires so the module is pointing down , for more cooling and so the heat sink would fit.

Good call using Artic Silver Adhesive, that will provide the best in heat transfer.
sparx22
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2009 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sparx22:
Good call using Artic Silver Adhesive, that will provide the best in heat transfer.
sparx22

Thats why I used it.

There hasn't been a really hot day yet since the intsall, but so far so good

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2009 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Thats why I used it.

Arctic Silver Adhesive is no better than non-binding Arctic Silver. It may even be less effective with heat transfer.

Sparx and I had a discussion about this on page one.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-08-2009).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Arctic Silver Adhesive is no better than non-binding Arctic Silver. It may even be less effective with heat transfer.

ok then you point out a better heat transfer glue, oh wait this ones not coming off.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

ok then you point out a better heat transfer glue

There's no need to "glue" the heatsink onto the distributor base. This is all covered on page one of this thread.

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-09-2009 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I see this as being a modification that I will do in the future. I just read through the whole thread for the first time this morning. I gave you a plus Patrick. I thought that I gave you one a while back because you liked my old Chevelle. Regardless, great idea.

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I just read through the whole thread for the first time this morning. I gave you a plus Patrick. I thought that I gave you one a while back because you liked my old Chevelle.

Thanks Tony. Yes, I certainly liked your '66 Chevelle SS (which I read you've since sold), but receiving a plus from you for this modification info instead of simply for liking your Chevelle is probably more justifiable.
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Now if there was a way to add a 12V pc fan to the heatsink your would really have it made..!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Now if there was a way to add a 12V pc fan to the heatsink your would really have it made..!

Rory, you've got to think outside of the box.

Do a google search for marine bilge blowers. Sample site Here.

12 volts, moves a lot of air, 3" ducting can be added at either end, can be had for less than $20.

Hmmm, might work well for a lot of different automotive applications. ...but not as an electric supercharger.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-09-2009).]

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Anyone who has taken there module to a parts store to test them, and went to grab them after testing knows they get really hot. I mean really hot.

I would be interested in running a temperature gauge to mine and seeing what the temperature is both before and after the modification.

Thank you guys for the info.

Brad
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

There's no need to "glue" the heatsink onto the distributor base. This is all covered on page one of this thread.

But I wanted to glue it on. My need was there. This is also a 4 cyl distributor, not as long as the V6 one.
So you can tell me I did it wrong all you want and I won't beleive you.
I considered screws, thus the holes you see in the pic.
But being shorter I allready had to grind off fins for the hold down clamp.

And as the artic silver being the best, it is the best thermal glue. Artic silver already does alot better than just thermal compound (white) so even if the glue is could not be as effective. It should still be better than the white compound.

With the glue I could probably put one on without even pulling the distributor on a V6.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

So you can tell me I did it wrong all you want and I won't believe you.

Ummm.... I think you need to step back and take a deep breath. I never said you did anything "wrong".

If you read the first page of this thread, you might understand why Sparx put a winkey smiley face at the end of his post to you.

Good call using Arctic Silver Adhesive, that will provide the best in heat transfer.

I can’t speak for Sparx, but I believe he was giving me a good-natured dig because of our earlier discussion.

I responded to his post, complete with my own smiley face to acknowledge the one he used. You seem to have misinterpreted this post which was more directed at Sparx than yourself, although for your benefit I mentioned he and I had already had a discussion about this on page one.

Did I say that it was "wrong” for you to use Arctic Silver Adhesive? No, I didn’t. I was simply stating (as I had on the first page of this thread long before you made an appearance here) that non-binding Thermal Interface Material is every bit as good, if not better, than binding TIM.

If you wanted to “glue” your heatsink in place, that’s fine. You probably used the best “glue” available.

However, there's been no evidence supplied that gluing the heatsink in place with Arctic Silver Adhesive transfers heat any better than clamping the heatsink with screws and using non-binding Arctic Silver (as Sparx may have jokingly been implying). That’s all I was stating... nothing more, nothing less.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-21-2010).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
On the surface this looks to be a very clever way to keep the module cooler. However, on second thought I'm not so sure. Adding a heat sink assumes that the surrounding air is cooler than the temp of the module. Since the heat sink may not be in a cooler area, whether or not it has any value is questionable. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-09-2009).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Adding a heat sink assumes that the surrounding air is cooler than the temp of the module. Since the heat sink may not in a cooler area, whether or not it has any value is questionable.

Dennis, that issue has already been addressed numerous times in this thread.

gem1138

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post
I bolted a 3 inch diameter inline fan from Pegasus Auto Racing supplies in my trunk. A 3 inch to 2 inch reducer connected to 2 inch PVC through the trunk firewall and blows like a hurricane on the coil and module.
It is powered via a water heater thermostat mounted on the coil heat shield such that the fan comes on at 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
No problems since then. That was last August and I am in southern Louisiana.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gem1138:

I bolted a 3 inch diameter inline fan from Pegasus Auto Racing supplies in my trunk. A 3 inch to 2 inch reducer connected to 2 inch PVC through the trunk firewall and blows like a hurricane on the coil and module.
It is powered via a water heater thermostat mounted on the coil heat shield such that the fan comes on at 150 degrees Fahrenheit.

Got any pictures? Sounds interesting.

I like the idea of the thermostat control mounted on the coil heat shield, but with the fan mounted in the trunk, where does it get it's intake air from? (The factory trunk fan in '85-'87 V6 Fieros draws it's air from outside the trunk.)

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Dennis, that issue has already been addressed numerous times in this thread.

The distributor is right near the exhaust crossover. Unless air temps are measured we won't know conclusively but the heat sink is bound to at least spread the heat around. The cooling fan should also be a big help as it brings in outside air. My opinion is that the heat sink should provide a benefit on Fieros that have the engine compartment blower

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

My opinion is that the heat sink should provide a benefit on Fieros that have the engine compartment blower.

Really going out on a limb there, eh?

Well in my opinion, if the air temperature under the decklid near the distributor is anywhere even near the temperature of the ignition module, I'd say you've got one of those famous Fieros on fire we've heard so much about.

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
Considering that adding the heat sink has stoped cooking modules, I would say this works.
Patricks is on a V6 and the one I did was was on a 4 cyl. So there seems to be alot of "what ifs" and all the "what ifs" I have seen only coraspond to mainly the V6.
I can stick my hand in my engine bay just fine, but do you think I can touch the bottom of the module, hell no. way too hot.
If the engine bay was hotter do you think that they would use the distributor as a "heat sink"

I guarantee, next time you are sitting on the side of he road due to a bad module, you will be thinking about this.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
Las Vegas Fiero Club

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I can stick my hand in my engine bay just fine, but do you think I can touch the bottom of the module, hell no. way too hot.
If the engine bay was hotter do you think that they would use the distributor as a "heat sink"

Exactly.

On page one of this thread I posted the following...

From what I understand, the ignition module produces heat a whole lot hotter than the air in the engine compartment. That's why GM mounts the ignition module on the metal bottom of the distributor in the first place. This allows heat from the module to be released to the engine compartment from the bottom of the distributor. I'm just helping the distributor do this task a bit (a lot?) more efficiently by installing the heatsink.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock