Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Clutchnet Clutches Who's used em. (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Clutchnet Clutches Who's used em. by Capt Fiero
Started on: 04-15-2008 02:38 PM
Replies: 58
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 08-30-2009 09:51 PM
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Sorry for the low quality pics. But it did arrive in Oregon today, I had my grandmother, remove it from the packaging, and photograph everything.

The pics were taken with one of those floppy disk cameras.

I bought an entire custom kit from them, pressure plate, 6 puck sprung hub disk and throwout bearing. Getting rid of all the centerforce junk that was in there.

I understand it's modified for higher clamp load, but externally that looks like every SPEC pressure plate I've ever seen, just painted red. It's the stock pressure plate thats used on the 90's Cavaliers, Berettas, etc. It's basically the newest packaging of the stock Fiero pressure plate. Stamped cover instead of that two-piece riveted one.. Probably less expensive to produce. Anyway... the pic posted above was NOT an OEM pressure plate housing that I am familiar with. What's the deal with that one?

Originally posted by Erik:

I talked to Igor at Clutchnet and he told me to ask Spec if their stage 3 pressure plate was a stock clutch or if it had more clamping force before he could recommend a clutch for me. After all, I am going to use the stage 3 Spec pressure plate since I already have it. Does anybody know if the Stage 3 Spec Pressure plate is stock or not? I have been told it is a stock but haven't asked Spec if that is true or not.

That pressure plate Capt Fiero posted a pic of looks just like my pressure plate, so I can't visually confirm, but my SPEC Stage 3 pressure plate feels stock from the pedal, so I would assume it is unless it's not different enough for me to notice. If Capt Fiero gets his installed and finds it noticeably harder than stock, I'd be fairly certain the SPEC is stock. Clutchnet looks like the vendor to go with...

------------------

1988 Pontiac Fiero 3.4 DOHC V6 5-speed
California Smog Legal!

IP: Logged
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Steven Snyder

3323 posts
Member since Mar 2004

Looking at this again.. how is it modified? There is still only one diaphram spring, not two stacked up like someone else had posted.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

That pressure plate Capt Fiero posted a pic of looks just like my pressure plate, so I can't visually confirm, but my SPEC Stage 3 pressure plate feels stock from the pedal, so I would assume it is unless it's not different enough for me to notice. If Capt Fiero gets his installed and finds it noticeably harder than stock, I'd be fairly certain the SPEC is stock. Clutchnet looks like the vendor to go with...

Steven, I called SPEC today and talked to Matt. He told me the stage 3 pressure plate is tweaked for more clamp pressure with the feel of a stock one ..He told me clamp pressure is 2300 to 2400 lbs. Now, I am trying to find out stock clamp pressure to compare ..IIRC, wasn't stock around 2000 lbs???

Igor at Clutchnet also seemed to say the stock style pressure plate is modded for more clamp pressure

I t would really be nice to be able to measure them to see

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 04-17-2008).]

Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I am going to bet that the Red pressure plate from Clutchnet has thicker metal in the springs, giving it a harder clamp load. They have 3 levels of pressure plates, Green for Street, Yellow for Street Strip and Red for Race. In my case, they said the RED Fiero pressure plate albeit for Race would probably be the best for my V8 Torque. It won't feel as aggressive as if you put it behind a say a 4 popper that has less torque at low rpms when grabbing.

I did call to see if they could give me the part number from the invoice and it was already boxed up and is on route to me. However, they did take photos of the invoice, but it is so blurry I can't read it. I can post the pics of the invoice if someone thinks they can use photo shop to clean up the image and read the numbers on it.

------------------
85GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Factory Stock.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 04-17-2008).]

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

I am going to bet that the Red pressure plate from Clutchnet has thicker metal in the springs, giving it a harder clamp load.

Looks just like mine.. maybe they shimmed it?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well here are the new pics. I think I have figured out the extra clamping force. At least I think I have, check out the Hooks going to the metal plate on the inside of the pressure plate. I have never seen that in any other pressure plate I have ever bought before. Another note is that the rivets are massive in comparison to other clutches I have used. Plus the springs are 80% enclosed in the disc, so I doubt I will be popping those out any time soon.

This should be interesting. This super heavy clutch and the torque of a 4.9 hooked to another Isuzu. (an Isuzu that I have noted is not in perfect shape to begin with, diff is making noise) If figure if it lasts long enough to get my hands on a 3.32 4spd (about 2 months) I am going to be happy.

Enough with the chatter here are the pics.

I will be posting a scan of the invoice to show price, address, contact info and part numbers tonight. Just don't have time to run it though right now.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 05-15-2008).]

Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinDirect Link to This Post
Just to make it easier for me... Where is everyone getting their flywheels? Modified 88 and newer 2.8-- 3.1 or custom built? I thnk I need to change my 4.9 to a manual. This way I can email all the info to myself for my records.... Has anyone ever actually destoyed a modified redrilled flywheel?
Thanks. Mark
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

I bought my flywheel from LSC Performance in California. Cost was only $250 USD.

------------------
85GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Factory Stock.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2008 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
SPEC has those same hooks. I bet these PP must all come from the same manufacturer. It is the disc that are built different. Those springs at the disc do look nice embeded as they are. Now if only the rivets could hold

Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

SPEC has those same hooks. I bet these PP must all come from the same manufacturer. It is the disc that are built different. Those springs at the disc do look nice embeded as they are. Now if only the rivets could hold

Uhhh dude? Whats with the big shiny rings worn into the backside of the fingers? Hitting the springs on the disc?

On another note, that disc really looks like nice hardware. If I ever blow my Spec II, I'll have to give these guys a shot.
James Bondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James BondoSend a Private Message to James BondoDirect Link to This Post
I've run Clutchnet six puck ceramic clutch in my 3800SC swap for over a year now. I ended up smoking a Centerforce DF clutch in not time. The Clutchnet product really looked top notch when it arrived, and I've had no problems with it. Hooks up all the time, but I never dump the clutch. The downside is that like all ceramic clutches, the engagement is horrible, and requires alot of finessing to engage it smoothly when pulling away. That was the upside of the Centerforce, engagement was amazing. Coupled with the low toque of the 3.8, I engage the clutch with any throttle input at all.

The other thing is that the Cutchnet stuff is readily available and the price is quite affordable.
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if I would call it affordable: LOL. It was $425 USD and then $56 in taxes that I had to pay at Customs. Nearly 500 bucks for clutch kit kinda stung the wallet.
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
That is why I run a junk stock clutch kit for the pressure plate and throw out bearing $119 with lifetime warranty. To that I just add the Clutchnet six puck sprung hub disc. Total cost is under $300. So far it has held up quite well to over 400 WHP.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2008 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well I promised to get that scan of the slip and got so tied up installing the clutch that I never got around to doing it. So here it is. Even a few pics of the clutch installed.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Clutch engagement is smooth as butter. I can't quote on holding capacity yet, as I am going to break it in for the 500 miles before I really start hammering on it. But without touching the gas, just letting the motor idle, I can put it in 1st and ease up the pedal and the car moves forward, no slamming, no giant bang yank, as it in engages. Just smooth easy engagement. Yippee....

I have to run out the door, so I will try and post more later.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well another Isuzu bites the dust.........

It never even made it fully on the road. Friday night was going to be the first night to really take it out and play. I did the oil change today, got the front tires swapped on, greased the front end, was really happy with the way the car was doing. So I took it out into the ally behind the house. Started out slowly and started working my way up to 3/4 throttle rolling starts. Then BANG, Grind, Grind.................. FRACK FRACK FRACK. I knew the trans was weak, but I wanted to give it a good test before taking it on any long distance trips. I guess its good that it blew up here at the house and not 25, 50 or 100kms away.

So we pushed it back into the driveway, and I am going to drop it out again. LOL, #7 Trans here we go. The next trans going in, will be a 4spd. I am done with the Isuzu's.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just an update, to this thread, the trans blew and I said I would not install another Isuzu, well I went one step further, and installed a whole new chassis around the engine with a Getrag 5spd as the trans. When I got the Isuzu out, you could turn it by hand and there is a spot in the diff, where it just free spins. So I must have taken at least 2 teeth from the diff. If I get time, I'll dismantle it and post pics. With the Getrags crappy 5th gear, I am going to have to install some really tall tires/wheel combo to still make it freeway friendly.

The continuation of this thread is here, https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/098362.html

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Figured I'd throw an update on my clutch in here since its relevent. After the first couple hundred or so miles, my Clutchnet kevlar disk stopped slipping. It now just works flawlessly. I have to disagree with anyone stating that It doesn't have to be broken in. I did pull the clutch at 1000 miles for inspection since I had to pull the motor to change the timing belt anyway. The appearance and texture of the disk material had changed drastically since it was first installed. The hairy, almost velvet like texture is more like a plastic now, with no hair visible anymore. The surfaces have polised down a bit and are actually slightly reflective. As far as the flywheel and pressure plate: They could be boxed up and sold as new. The kevlar material just doesn't do anything to those surfaces, AT ALL! Even the machining on the flywheel and clutch didn't appear to have changed or even polished down.

I think I have put 9-10K more miles on it since then, and it's doing just fine.

My only complaint, and it's my fault, Is that I used a stock replacement pressure plate. It has a problem that when the engine is reving 6K plus, The clutch starts to engage regardless of the pedal position. I can press the clutch and rev the engine, and the car will lurch. I've been told by ricers that this is normal for a stock pressure plate. Still bizzare to me though. It makes a high RPM 1-2 shift VERY difficult, as the shifter won't allow me to shift out of first till the RPM's drop off enough.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Sounds like it is time to pull out that throwout bearing and pressure plate and put a better one in.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock