LS4 swap? by Rickady88GT
Started on: 03-27-2008 09:13 PM
Replies: 59
Last post by: TiredGXP on 05-24-2009 02:13 PM
SpeedDemon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedDemonSend a Private Message to SpeedDemonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Check around but I have seen sepentine belts with grooves on both sides... just can not remember where right now.

VWs used these too. 1.8T for sure, and probably some others.

Chris
IP: Logged
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Well, not yet I still need the key.

BUT I do have some pics of it ready to run.

This is the Monte Carlo dash sitting on a table and the wire harness hooked up to the LS4 drive train.

Dash lights on.

Odometer.

Radio

Maybe some time soon it will run?

------------------

blkcofy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blkcofySend a Private Message to blkcofyDirect Link to This Post
Rick,
Do you think that the Monte Carlo dash will fit into a Fiero? How much slicing and dicing does it look like will be required? I was thinking about doing the Grand Prix GXP dash, but the Monte Carlo looks kinda nice...
Jakezilla3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jakezilla3Send a Private Message to Jakezilla3Direct Link to This Post
Words can not describe how badly I want to see that engine run just sitting on the crate. Good luck!! Fitting that dash into a Fiero is going to be a feat. When the time comes I think I am going to fiber fab most of mine but having a good starting place is a good idea that I may steal from you
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blkcofy:

Rick,
Do you think that the Monte Carlo dash will fit into a Fiero? How much slicing and dicing does it look like will be required? I was thinking about doing the Grand Prix GXP dash, but the Monte Carlo looks kinda nice...

Orville did the GXP dash and it should be very close to the same.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/069678.html
I took some crude measurements and looks like the dash is about an inch wider than the Fiero. I could make a Monte dash work, but I am looking for a Malibu dash to use.

But I cant use this dash. It is no good. The crash has damaged it beyond use. So it is for parts. For now it works well as a wire harness host to test fire the engine.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by Jakezilla3:

Words can not describe how badly I want to see that engine run just sitting on the crate. Good luck!! Fitting that dash into a Fiero is going to be a feat. When the time comes I think I am going to fiber fab most of mine but having a good starting place is a good idea that I may steal from you

If I had the door wire harnesses I could use the remote start to get it going. Theoretically.
But for now I don't see any reason it should not fire up,........strike that No reason it wont run.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2008 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it will be another day

The exciter ring for the Theft system was damaged and now I need to relearn the new E-ring.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2008 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Started it!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/091678.html

This 06 Monte has Passkey III+ and there is no way to relearn a different exciter without getting a new key and matching exciter then you have to have the dealer use a Tech II to reprogram bcm and ecm for it all to work. $$$$$$$$$

So, I had to get the pieces of the broken exciter and stayed up until 2am trying to McGyver it back together! I put it in the steering column this morning and it fired up!

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 05-11-2008).]

BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
A "What have I missed" Bump
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
The wire harness is ready to drop in, just about.
The exhaust system keeps it down now. I was amazed that the no muffler system is not "obnoxious". It should be good to go in town but "agressive" when I floor it.
I am doing some "small" stuff to get it in.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 05-22-2009).]

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

The wire harness is ready to drop in, just about.
The exhaust system keeps it down now. I was amazed that the no muffler system is not "obnoxious". It should be good to go in town but "agressive" when I floor it.
I am doing some "small" stuff to get it in.

[This message has been edited by Tom Slick (edited 05-23-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Steve25

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2009 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I was amazed that the no muffler system is not "obnoxious".

Is that is cat?

Nice job BTW.
------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT

[This message has been edited by Steve25 (edited 05-23-2009).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2009 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I love seeing engines running outside of the fiero on the ground.... someday I want to setup a fiero test stand so I can run and fine tune everything on the cradle before it goes into the car.

Very slick and it sounds very good to me!
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2009 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I love seeing engines running outside of the fiero on the ground.... someday I want to setup a fiero test stand so I can run and fine tune everything on the cradle before it goes into the car.

Very slick and it sounds very good to me!

I would love to have a test stand what all do you need to make one?

Rick that sounds great cannot wait for you to finish so you can make my adpaters

RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2009 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Rick dude you are too much!! the tank I see on the floor is gonna need to be much larger!! LOL, LOL, LOL
You guys simply amaze me at the stuff you try and COMPLETE. With all the smog laws we have here it's just amazing.
Are there any tank sensors that have to go into the fireo tank?

Great Job
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2009 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RUNDLC:

With all the smog laws we have here it's just amazing.
Are there any tank sensors that have to go into the fireo tank?

Great Job

Yes there are sensors in the tank. I used the stock LS4 fuel pump sending unit with all the sensors in it. I modified the tank to accept the sending unit.

RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2009 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Nice!! ? what are you going to do with the 3.5 quad that came out of your car? Is it ready to swap into another fiero? PM me or call me, I will shoot you a pm.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2009 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like this swap will retain all of the items that interface to the PCM. Just be aware that if you are using ETC, things can get tricky. ON an ETC system GM designed a safeguard where the throttle position , engine speed, torque, wheel speed and vehicle speed all must agree for if they don't the PCM will go into default or start backing down on the engine speed.
If you put your foot to the floor and the wheels break loose, the PCM will then begin closing the throttle regardless of accelerator pedal position. The torque management aspect of these ETC PCM's makes for a difficult workaround. Don't know if it has been solved.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Sounds like this swap will retain all of the items that interface to the PCM. Just be aware that if you are using ETC, things can get tricky. ON an ETC system GM designed a safeguard where the throttle position , engine speed, torque, wheel speed and vehicle speed all must agree for if they don't the PCM will go into default or start backing down on the engine speed.
If you put your foot to the floor and the wheels break loose, the PCM will then begin closing the throttle regardless of accelerator pedal position. The torque management aspect of these ETC PCM's makes for a difficult workaround. Don't know if it has been solved.

Are you a Tech? Do you know this for fact?
I figured out the wheel speed sensors for the front, but have not got the back done yet. My plan is to link the front and rear wheel speed wires together and put them on the front only. That way I have functional input for the PCM tell I figure out the rear wheel speed sensors.

TiredGXP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPDirect Link to This Post
I took a look through my LS4 4t65e-hd tune file. ETC is tied into the traction control system, there are about 5 main areas that impact throttle control:

1. Differential Score Protection - when sufficient difference in wheel speed between the two drive wheels is detected, differential score protection rather violently slams the throttle closed - the first time you encounter this, it feels like a half shaft broke. Typically, you only encounter this in a FWD if spinning wheels while taking off around a corner. The effect lasts for about a second. This can be disabled in the tune (it's an on/off function).

2. Traction control - closes the throttle by pre-defined amounts when excessive wheel spin is detected, and/or reduces timing. Different from the DSP in that this is a proportional reduction in the throttle opening and timing advance - both spark control and ETC control for traction control can be disabled, or you can modify the rate that timing is removed or how ETC matches throttle position.

3. Transmission torque reduction - essentially reduces timing during shifts to protect the transmission - the amount of reduction is tunable. There's a few other nuances if abuse mode is detected....

4. DOD - essentially just "blips" the throttle when cycling in and out of 4 cylinder mode in an attempt to make the function seamless - works OK as long as you haven't increased the torque converter clutch duty cycle.

5. Cruise control is accomplished by manipulating the ETC. Not the most precise cruise I've ever had, good for about +/- 2 mph

Cheers
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock