Digital Cruise Darth Fiero by Fino
Started on: 03-25-2008 12:41 PM
Replies: 138
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 02-13-2010 02:40 AM
Fino

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: 04/07/2008

The stock Fiero does not work with the new cruise as of this date 04/07/2008. The stock Fiero does not have a 4K VSS needed to run the new cruise.

If people find the their cruise code (such as AR) needs to be grounded or not grounded, I will keep track on this first page if you send me a PM. This will help others as they install their cruise.

Pin "H" needs to be grounded or left open depending on vehicle origin. This list will tell you what cruise code needs to be grounded and what ones do not.

1. Cruise control code "AR" grounded

I have waited for someone to start a topic on just a build of the digital cruise and I guess it is about time. This topic is for everyone to input his or her ideas about how to install the cruise. This is NOT my build but only a start to collect information/ideas from people to install the cruise.

To start with Darth Fiero has provided the wiring instructions for the "digital cruise" (aka: Delco Electronic/Electromotive) and can be downloaded here: http://dtcc.cz28.com/files/electcrz.zip

Now that all the credits have been given to Darth Fiero let’s start.
---------------------------------
Now
I started to install mine and the first thing I did was the bracket to mount the cruise on. I started with just the original bracket that the new cruise was mounted on from the donor car shock tower and simply modified it.

I took the Fiero bracket and clamped it with vice grips so I could mark to drill mounting holes. The first photo shows one side then the next shows the other side.

Next I cut off the stuff I did not need.

This is the final bracket (minus a new paint job) with a hole at the bottom. I used a spacer 1” to mount it to the Fiero.

This shows the bracket mounted to the car with out the cruise on it so you can see what it looks like. It uses the original Fiero holes but you have to drill a hole at the bottom to install your spacer. Yes those are cotter pins to make the hole smaller...lazy way but it works, mine gets covered up with a engine compartment linner so you cannot see them.

This is what the engine compartment looks like normaly.

This is how I started the spacer then moved the cruise up for the other screws.

Mounted on the car. I removed the cable to work on it easer.

This is not the only way to do it someone might come up with a better idea.

////// NEXT: ??????
I would like to see someone continue this topic and make a bracket for the throttle cable to mount in and post it next and then go on from there.

Ed

------------------
Fino
www.feroce.net
Member National Kit Car Club www.kitcarclub.com
Lifetime Member CFOGi (Lot of good that does me)

[This message has been edited by Fino (edited 04-08-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I've been working on that myself, and all I have left to do is connect one more wire and modify the stock cruise control bracket so that it fits around the electronic cruise and holds the cable in place. Just haven't had time to take a cut off wheel to it yet.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I also installed digital cruise, It's not wired yet, but its mounted and hooked to the throttle body. Since I have a 3.4 DOHC, it is native to the engine, so nothing special as far as cable mounting goes. I welded a short piece of 3/4" box tube to the interior of the engine compartment, I then welded a small piece of metal to the top of the origional bracket that was hacked up a bit so I could screw it into the firewall box at the top. It looks good there.

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
this is on my "next season" list
but, if things go well, maybe midway thru this season - I have become a Cruise Control junkie.....
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
I am also doing the "ECM upgrade (1227730) for stock 2.8" at the same time (I have the 3.4L). It is cold outside now that is why I did the mounting bracket first because most of the job is downstairs where it is warm.

Ed

[This message has been edited by Fino (edited 03-25-2008).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
If either of you get this working, perhaps you could give us some tips here //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/087268.html

Thank you...

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
just waiting for the endless snow to end.....
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
I have installed the electronic cruise on my 86 without much success so far. I have followed the wiring diagram on Darth's site but I must be doing something wrong. I would like to have it working but it isn't a priority. I would like to have it working before the 25th Show.

I fooled with the wires at the cruise module at the drivers compartment with no avail.

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

mswenson289

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mswenson289Send a Private Message to mswenson289Direct Link to This Post
The donor bracket you used what was it from?
Mike
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mswenson289:

The donor bracket you used what was it from?
Mike

1997 Cutlass Supreme

Ed
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohio86se:

I have installed the electronic cruise on my 86 without much success so far. I have followed the wiring diagram on Darth's site but I must be doing something wrong. I would like to have it working but it isn't a priority. I would like to have it working before the 25th Show.

I fooled with the wires at the cruise module at the drivers compartment with no avail.

The problem with ryans instructions, is that it is designed to work with a stock fiero setup, just directly replacing the fiero vac cruise.

I have yet to setup my cruise also.... I will post detailed information at that time. I am 99% sure that we can just set it up like you would in a w-body, with only a few pcm-cruise connections, then wire in the set and resume buttons to the PCM.
PFF
System Bot
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

I tried to take Darth Fiero's words and make a wiring diagram out of it. I hope this helps.

If anyone sees a mistake please let me know.

I have not tried to wire mine yet. I just started to connect the cruise cable to the engine.

Ed

[This message has been edited by Fino (edited 03-27-2008).]

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fino:

I tried to take Darth Fiero's words and make a wiring diagram out of it. I hope this helps.

If anyone sees a mistake please let me know.

I have not tried to wire mine yet. I just started to connect the cruise cable to the engine.

Ed

Ed,
What is the Cruise module, servo and electronic cruise parts are you referring to? Are you using the Fiero cruise control box located inside the passenger compartment? Please elaborate....thanks.

BTW....I connected the cruise cable to the TB by the method shown on Loyde's web site.

Have you completed your hook up? Is it functional?

After looking closer at your posted pics I see that you still have the Fiero 2.8 in there. Is that correct?
I have the 3800sc so my cruise set-up might be deferent.

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 03-29-2008).]

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Ed,
What is the Cruise module, servo and electronic cruise parts are you referring to? Are you using the Fiero cruise control box located inside the passenger compartment? Please elaborate....thanks.

BTW....I connected the cruise cable to the TB by the method shown on Loyde's web site.

Have you completed your hook up? Is it functional?

After looking closer at your posted pics I see that you still have the Fiero 2.8 in there. Is that correct?
I have the 3800sc so my cruise set-up might be deferent.

The Cruise module is the stock Fiero module inside the car behind the carpet drivers side console. The module is removed and the wires soldered together. This module will not be reinstalled.
The servo is in the engine compartment it pulls the cable. You are using only the wires. The servo will not be reinstalled.
The electronic cruise parts is the new digital cruise you buy. The new cruise is a stand alone part it has everything for the cruise to work, just wire it up.

Darth Fiero set this up to get the wires from the steering column switch out to the engine compartment without having to run new wires. So the cruise switch on the column wires go to the CRUISE MODULE and are soldered together to the wires that normaly go out in the engine compartment to the servo and you can use the wires to connect the new digital cruise. So the wiring diagram I drew up is only his words made into a picture. The CURISE MODULE is inside the car going to the servo in the engine compartment and now the new digital cruise installed.

You ask: "Have you completed your hook up? Is it functional? "
Not yet I am doing the 7730 ECM also. I talked to Darth Fiero and there is no way to pickup the 4K ppm signal needed for the new digital cruise in the STOCK Fiero. The only way I can think of doing this on a stock Fiero is to use a speed buffer. The speed buffer could be installed in the engine compartment (seal it from weather) and conected to the VSS. Part number 25071437.

EDIT: I had to rewrite this because even I did not understand.

BUFFER The first two terminals A & B tie to VSS on the trans YEL "A" and PPL "B".

Second set of leters on the buffer go to
Buffer "A" tie to Digital Cruise E Ground BLK
Buffer "C" input to Digital Cruise K 4K signal
Buffer "H" tie to Digital Cruise F Ign. PNK or BRN

You say: "BTW....I connected the cruise cable to the TB by the method shown on Loyde's web site."
Can you list a link to his website that shows that?
I did not take photos of my cable while I was making it.

You say: "I see that you still have the Fiero 2.8 in there"
No, it is the 3.4L with a lot of work done to it. Bored, cam, heads, high compression pistons etc. www.feroce.net

Ed

EDIT:
BTW you should be able to use your 3800 PCM to get the VSS 4K needed for the cruise.

[This message has been edited by Fino (edited 04-02-2008).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

.... there is no way to pickup the 4K ppm signal.

.... The only way I can think of doing this ....

Well DAMN - IS THERE or ISN"T THERE ?

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:
Well DAMN - IS THERE or ISN"T THERE ?

Well in a STOCK Fiero there is no way to get a 4K signal. The VSS is a sine wave that goes to the cluster and is buffered to a square wave of 4K and 2K. The 4K goes directly to the speedo and the 2K goes to the ECM and cruise. So the 4K is one of the four wires in the printed circuit that connects to the speedo. I don't think anyone wants to go there.

This is the printed circuit on the speedo cluster I am talking about. One of those four holes is the 4K signal and if you have an oscilloscope or just a COMPUTER SAFE test light the wire could be found by testing each wire while you turn the wheels, the one that blinks on and off will be the 4K signal. I don't think this is the best way you still have to get the wire out to the engine compartment.

Now my idea of adding the external speed buffer box is in theory only and I have not used it, it is only a suggestion.
I am using the 7730 computer when I get done so I don't need to try it.

I hope that someone will try either one of these ideas and maybe this will be a simple way to make digital cruise work on a stock Fiero (one is all done in the engine compartment).

Right now my stock computer is gone and the engine is re-wired for the new computer so I can't test the idea at this time or I would. This all started after my computer was removed ...sorry.

Ed

[This message has been edited by Fino (edited 03-30-2008).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I experimented with the buffer board and my ISSPRO speedometer. I connected the wire going INto the speedo to each of the holes, one-at-a-time. After connecting each time, i took the car for a drive. Speedo did Nothing - needle wouldn't move . I also connected it to the wire going to the ECU - STILL nothing. The ONLY way i could get a reading was to connect the speedo input to either of the odometer connections (!?) then set the speedo calibration to 2000 pulses per mile. (!?!?!?!?).

I'm thinking that either of these interfaces might do the trick for anyone trying to do this upgrade to the stock fiero:

Dakota Digital $80
http://store.summitracing.c...850+115&autoview=sku

OR

Nordskog $100
http://store.summitracing.c...700+115&autoview=sku

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 03-30-2008).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001
This upgrade discussion gets complicated quick. In regards to a 3.4 pushrod / 2.8 stock engine:

In calif., you'd need to do at least the ECU + digital EGR.

Might as well also do the digital cruise control (since I JUST Bought it yesterday)

Digital Ignition (DIS) is a good thing (why ?!) but what parts / connections does this need ?

Digital evap./ canister purge (?!)

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

I experimented with the buffer board and my ISSPRO speedometer. I connected the wire going INto the speedo to each of the holes, one-at-a-time. After connecting each time, i took the car for a drive. Speedo did Nothing - needle wouldn't move . I also connected it to the wire going to the ECU - STILL nothing. The ONLY way i could get a reading was to connect the speedo input to either of the odometer connections (!?) then set the speedo calibration to 2000 pulses per mile. (!?!?!?!?).

Well first of all your speedo sucks, don't take this as being mean please. I read the instructions on your speedo and NO FUN.

"Tail Shaft mounted magnetic sensor: CALIBRATION NUMBER = TIRE REVS PER MILE X DIFFERENTIAL RATION X 16" WHAT???

Check the tire revs per mile:
a. Mark the tire and floor directly below the center of the hub.
b. Move the vehicle one revolution of the tire and mark the floor corresponding to the mark on the tire.
c. Measure the distance between the two marks in inches. Use this distance in the formula below to find the tire revs per mile:
63,360 Divided By Measured Distance = Tire Revs Per Mile

http://issproinc.com/installation/IS073.pdf

Now I know you do not want to change your speedo but I really don't know how you will ever get it to work on the Fiero. The smallest number I see on the chart is 9619 and we are tring to use 4000??
"(A minimum calibration number of 9531 is required to be within calibration range)."

You might be able to get it to work using this.
https://www.europaspares.com/INSTRUMENTS/SENDERS___SENSORS/ISSPRO_SPEEDOMETER_SENSOR
___MAGNET_KIT___R8906__1893.html

Ed
EDIT: I had to edit the link because it made the page go wider, so there is a break after the SENSOR you need the whole thing.

I think this should be discused in a PM and not in this topic because the speedo is not being used by anyone else.

PM sent

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I got the Pm before I checked this thread . The problem with the speedo is not calibration, it's getting the signal. Right now it works fine hooked up to the odometer outputs, except an occassional "spike" to the far end of the scale. The calibration is fine set at 2000 and the speed is accurate. I've seen others with aftermarket speedo questions, so maybe some of this discussion will help. Right now, it seems like I could get one of the speedo interfaces and get the cruise control working and probably get rid of my speedo spikes, OR do the ECU upgrade and get the same results. The ECU upgrade makes the digital cruise work wth the stock fiero, right (?) or is this something that has yet to be seen ?
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

The problem with ryans instructions, is that it is designed to work with a stock fiero setup, just directly replacing the fiero vac cruise.

.... The new cruise is a stand alone part it has everything for the cruise to work, just wire it up.

THIS is what I saw !!!!! WTF ?!

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
What is this out of - Part number 25071437? it surely ISN'T a stock fiero speedo buffer, although the explaination SURE makes it sound that way.

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

What is this ? it surely ISN'T a stock fiero speedo buffer, although the explaination SURE makes it sound that way

I am sorry you misunderstood me.

Ed

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
The only reason i mentioned my speedo was that it probably needs the same signal as the digital cruise to work. But I'm starting to get REALLY aggravated at trying to follow this stuff .....
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
When I had the same question myself about the 4k ppm signal, I PM'd Darth Fiero and he told me to tap into the yellow wire on the VSS sensor on the trans and let him know if it worked or not. I haven't tried yet, so I don't know.
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

The only reason i mentioned my speedo was that it probably needs the same signal as the digital cruise to work. But I'm starting to get REALLY aggravated at trying to follow this stuff .....

Calm down if you take it out of context it will mean something different. .... The new cruise is a stand alone part it has everything for the cruise to work, just wire it up......

I only tried to help you on what I thought you still had a speedo problem, so I took it to PM to try to help.

Let me know if I can help with any questions you have now I know the speedo works ok. I am glad I did not have to screw with that one.

Ed

EDIT: Don't kill the messenger
I am also trying to intalling this cruise, I am not the teacher.

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

812 posts
Member since Jan 2002

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

When I had the same question myself about the 4k ppm signal, I PM'd Darth Fiero and he told me to tap into the yellow wire on the VSS sensor on the trans and let him know if it worked or not. I haven't tried yet, so I don't know.

I tried to connect my new speedo to the yellow wire to get 4K and it did not like it all. Auto Meter told me to do it that way. There is a write-up on that in my post //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/089515.html

Ed

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Fino, i won't be-labor this but please know that I have wasted a LOT of time and money by acting on things people have posted when they didn't know what they were talking about. LeBaron lighted sunvisors supposed to be "plug-n-play" (what a crock), Civic mirrors that fit perfectly in the triangle by the window (true - you just can't open the door because the window smacks the mirror) and now I have the digital cruise control that might not work. No matter how good the original post is, there are always people who muddy the friggin' water with what they THINK they know.

Anyway, I appreciate your help and understanding and will help if I can. if it's a toss up between getting the speedo interface or the ECU upgrade (to get both speedo and digital cruise working), I might go with the ECU upggrade. This is IF the upgraded ECU will drive the digital cruise and IF i can get the info from someone I believe.

It looks like a speedo interface might still be needed - or will it even properly feed the digital cruise ? Maybe Darth or Jon or someone who's done it will jump in with some input or maybe we'll just need you to try your upgraded ECU and see There has been a lot of interest and info on instrumentation that will work with the fiero speed signals (speedos, HUDs), so hopefully this will shed more light on the subject.

[Thanks for the speedo post - i tried the brown wire from the buffer and the speedo did nothing. I hooked my HUD to the brown and it works BUT reads low (the car is moving faster than indicated. I just use the HUD in tach mode which is better anyway]

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 03-31-2008).]

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post
Things are going on on the other topic On ECM upgrade //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../079574-14.html#p557

I am going to try to copy them over here so you can see what is going on. I don't know if the credits of who orginaly posted it will follow, just look for the information.

Ed

[This message has been edited by Fino (edited 03-31-2008).]

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

812 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Credits: Posted by PaulJK On ECM upgrade //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../079574-14.html#p557

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

.... if you are swapping in a newer 3.1 or 3.4 that has provisions for the DIS ignition system, I would recommend using the DIS as well.

I just read this in the first post on page 1. So it seems you need to have a 3.4 that already has provisions for DIS. So ryan, nevermind my DIS question (I guess). I'd still like to get your input about the digital cruise control - on a STOCK 3.4 pushrod / 2.8 V6, can you use the digital cruise control with the ECU upgrade or do you still need to add a speedometer interface like the ones from Nordskog or Dakota Digital ?

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

812 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Credits: Posted by Darth Fiero On ECM upgrade //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../079574-14.html#p557

I just read this in the first post on page 1. So it seems you need to have a 3.4 that already has provisions for DIS. So ryan, nevermind my DIS question (I guess). I'd still like to get your input about the digital cruise control - on a STOCK 3.4 pushrod / 2.8 V6, can you use the digital cruise control with the ECU upgrade or do you still need to add a speedometer interface like the ones from Nordskog or Dakota Digital ?

Yes the Dakota Digital SGI-5 should interface with the stock Fiero speed sensor and output a signal the "digital" cruise control can use. Of course if you swapped in a 7730 ECM, then you could just use it's output.

But before you buy an aftermarket module, you might want to try something. I was looking at the wiring diagrams for the 88 Fiero and found there was a different signal that went to the proposed electro-hydro power steering module. This signal came out of terminal M of the stock Fiero speedometer connector. It is possible that this may be a 4000ppm signal which you could use for the "digital" cruise control. Now in a stock Fiero there probably will be no such wire or terminal hooked up to this position in the speedo's connector (unless you were one of the rare lucky persons to get ahold of a power-steering equipped Fiero), so if you want to try this output you will have to obtain the correct terminal that will insert into this connector; you MIGHT be able to reuse one of the terminals out of the stock Fiero cruise control module connector. Otherwise, you will need to find another Fiero speedo connector and pull a wiring terminal out of that one. But I think trying this would be worth a shot vs. buying an aftermarket module.

PFF
System Bot
Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

812 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Credits: Posted by Darth Fiero On ECM upgrade //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../079574-14.html#p557

Here is a wiring diagram from a 1988 Fiero that shows the proposed electo-power steering VSS wire. This wire might be a 4000ppm signal that can be used with the "digital" cruise control...

FieroVSS.pdf

If that doesn't work, and you don't want to buy the aftermarket SGI-5 interface, you should be able to use a factory GM speedo buffer box from a 80's GM car. These boxes look like this:

The wiring diagrams for this buffer box can be downloaded here: VSSbufferWIRING.jpg

This yellow "4-out" buffer box was used in many mid-late 80's GM cars such as the Pontiac Firebird, Pontiac Grand Am, Chevy Cavalier, etc; and can usually be found piggy-backing the ECM.

But before getting one of these buffer boxes I encourage someone to try hooking up to that "M" terminal coming off the stock Fiero speedometer to see if that works.

-ryan

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

812 posts
Member since Jan 2002

Here is a wiring diagram from a 1988 Fiero that shows the proposed electo-power steering VSS wire. This wire might be a 4000ppm signal that can be used with the "digital" cruise control...

If that doesn't work, and you don't want to buy the aftermarket SGI-5 interface, you should be able to use a factory GM speedo buffer box from a 80's GM car. These boxes look like this:

The wiring diagrams for this buffer box can be downloaded here: VSSbufferWIRING.jpg

This yellow "4-out" buffer box was used in many mid-late 80's GM cars such as the Pontiac Firebird, Pontiac Grand Am, Chevy Cavalier, etc; and can usually be found piggy-backing the ECM.

But before getting one of these buffer boxes I encourage someone to try hooking up to that "M" terminal coming off the stock Fiero speedometer to see if that works.

-ryan

It does not look like there any wires going to those three terminals by the only photo I have now.

The pins we are using now are P R S T U and the 3 before that are nothing.

Ed
EDIT: One of those four holes is the 4K signal and if you have an oscilloscope or just a COMPUTER SAFE test light the wire could be found by testing each wire while you turn the wheels, the one that blinks on and off will be the 4K signal. I don't think this is the best way you still have to get the wire out to the engine compartment.
The speed buffer box could be used in the engine compartment and get all connections needed there.

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

812 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Here is another photo of the other side.

Ed

EDIT:
The first photo is an 85 MPH speedo and the second is a 120 MPH speedo. Look at the extra circuit on the 120 MPH that is not scratched it does not go up to the 4 holes but I wonder what it is. You might think a ground but that screw goes into plastic.
??????????

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

812 posts
Member since Jan 2002

Remember, GM usually skips letters like "I" and "O" in their wiring terminal ID's so they aren't confused with the numbers "0" and "1". Looks like terminal M is hooked up to the circuit board and isn't used in a stock Fiero application minus pwr steering (it lacks the marks you can see made on other terminals by connector being plugged in).

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

812 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Might be

My car does not have a computer in it now or I would test it to see if the test light to ground flashes. This would be very easy for anyone to do by using a computer safe testlight and probe the terminal. It is very easy to get to.

Ed
EDIT:
Note that "P" and "R" connect together. That would be low VSS and Ground.

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

812 posts
Member since Jan 2002

Might be

ED

Bet it is. Looking closer at the wiring diagrams for the stock Fiero speedo, you can see the 2000ppm VSS output from the speedo circuit board hooks up a to "divided by 2" logic circuit. The output terminal for the power steering module hooks up to the "divided by 1" logic circuit, which would stand to reason this is a 4000ppm output. I think it's worth a try.

-ryan

Fino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoSend a Private Message to FinoDirect Link to This Post

Fino

812 posts
Member since Jan 2002

Bet it is. Looking closer at the wiring diagrams for the stock Fiero speedo, you can see the 2000ppm VSS output from the speedo circuit board hooks up a to "divided by 2" logic circuit. The output terminal for the power steering module hooks up to the "divided by 1" logic circuit, which would stand to reason this is a 4000ppm output. I think it's worth a try.

-ryan

Ed

EDIT: Remember the speedo has to be a 120 MPH speedo the 85 does not have it. Now on later cars will it be there? I don't know what year my 85 MPH speedo was.

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Here's the diagram Jon posted a while back.

I was gonna test the M and N terminals for you tonite, but all 3 of the buffer boards I have do not have circuits connected to terminals K, L, M, or N
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001
the cruise control module I bought has an AR on the label. it is from a chevy with a 3.1 engine. Should I also get the throttle cable for hook-up to a stock fiero ? Is the length and connection to the throttle body the same as the stock fiero cable ?

I saw another car in the yard with a cruise control module that looked the same but had AG on the label intsead of AR. What's the difference in the module ?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock