Started on: 12-29-2005 08:57 AM
Replies: 224
Last post by: Pyrthian on 12-01-2009 02:10 PM
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Switching to the 7730 and DIS will take about a day if you switch wire by wire. What are you going to do for the rest of the winter? lol (You could drive it down to Ft Wayne and have Darth tune your chip to your engine...)

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 08-16-2007).]

IP: Logged
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Switching to the 7730 and DIS will take about a day if you switch wire by wire. What are you going to do for the rest of the winter? lol (You could drive it down to Ft Wayne and have Darth tune your chip to your engine...)

lol - thanks....
actually, I got a dead Fiero ECM, and took the plug-in jack off of it, and am gonna make an adapter harness. and, the block I am using is a Lumina 3.1, so it has the crank sensor, knock sensor & cam sensor still. just unhooked. on the adapter, I will transfer the existing abandoned wires for EGR, cruise control & auto trans wires to knock sensor, cam sensor & crank sensor, to save on making a new engine harness. and - it cold up here thru winter...probably wont actually do a damn thing between parking before first snow and March 2008. right now, I am slowly rounding up junk & making plans. not having "play" cash anymore, Fiero projects take ALOT longer....heck, just getting new spark plug cables to chase down my miss is gonna havta wait untill september.....
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Up...
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
well, my car will be down for a bit - found my miss - bad cam. so, the cradle is gonna get dropped....

so, if anyone wants to borrow my modfied upper plenum, and dyno test vs their stock plenum - it'll be available for a few months. its been gutted, neck opened, ported & 57mm throttle body.
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2007 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
BUMP

I see many new build-up threads - if you plan on keeping that stock upper plenum - you should see the first page of pics of the neck cross section.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I cut off the neck of my upper intake and measured the opening. It was about 2500 cubic mm. The throttle body at 52mm is about 2200 cubic mm (IIRC). I don't know if that means anything though. Maybe the neck is smaller between the tb and the upper intake.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

I cut off the neck of my upper intake and measured the opening. It was about 2500 cubic mm. The throttle body at 52mm is about 2200 cubic mm (IIRC). I don't know if that means anything though. Maybe the neck is smaller between the tb and the upper intake.

the magic spot is about 1" maybe 1/2" from the main body of the upper plenum. and, make sure you cut square. you should be able to see it even without cutting. the neck swoops, the suddenly goes flat on the underside. this flat spot is the neck restriction. go back, and look at the pics.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
Finally got a pic of mine

ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2008 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

This set up was at the Fiero Factory Swapmeet. A gentleman named Tom owned it. It is a one-off deal that he made himself. He had just installed it and did not have any hard data to go with it but was happy (very) so far with the way it felt. It looks very similar to the one above but more refined.

hey so are these custom or are they off another car?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2008 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ethan555:

Custom. One off. They're not interested in making any more.

There was another guy on here that said he was going to start producing something similar.
I even sent him a middle intake for developmental purposes.

He seems to have lost interest. (To be fair, I know he had a bunch of "life" issues going on.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-20-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2008 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ethan555:

As Raydar noted in his post, they are custom.

You might try finding one for sale in The Mall section of this forum, but that could be a long shot. The one that I saw for sale here earlier this year ("Dual Throttle body intake for sale," in https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/042276.html ) didn't look as finished as the one you've pictured above, but that's irrelevant since it's apparently been sold anyway.

Another option might be to make your own, or have someone fabricate one for you. A thread on that subject that may be of interest to you was started by goatnipples2002 in 2006. Titled, "How to build a dual TB intake," it's readily accessible via this link: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/077346.html
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2008 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Have you looked into the Turleo manifold?

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2008 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Personally, I prefer to keep the engine bay stock looking. Like I've said a couple of times, at one time, the Fiero to me was my only car, and I was very interested in making it as fast as possible. I've moved on to other cars now, other projects, and being that my Fiero was my FIRST car... I've decided to restore it back to it's original condition. I'll keep SOME of the impreovements... like the improved brakes from the Fiero Store, the vented rotors... and my 3.2 V6. But other than that, my goal is to make the car look completely stock, while improving it's driveability (as in, making it more modern day performance, but not affecting it's look).

The original point of this thread by Pyrthian was to improve his stock intake.. get as much flow as possible while maintaining it's look. The one thing I have to question though is... some of these intakes cost upwards of $1,000 bucks. I just don't see the purpose for installing one of these intakes on a 2.8 V6/60. At least in terms of finances, you could do much better with $1,000 dollars by doing a motor swap. I figure the intakes are good for someone who doesn't yet have the experience for a motor swap and wants an immediate improvement, but you could get that same amount of power for 1/3rd the cost by converting the motor to a carburetor with the Edelbrock 4-bbl intake and a Holley 380 carburetor. You'll have the same flow as you would with a performance intake like that, and better top end. Of course, the tuning isn't as awesome as it is with a computer... but you'll probably make more power than just swapping an intake on a stock motor.

Just my thoughts...

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convt. (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 / 455
1981 EZ-GO Xi875-A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2008 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

The original point of this thread by Pyrthian was to improve his stock intake...

Pyrthian has been a valued contributor to this thread, but not until he first joined it on page 2.

You may want to revisit on page 1 who first originated this thread in 2005, 82-T/A [At Work].

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2008 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

Pyrthian has been a valued contributor to this thread, but not until he first joined it on page 2.

You may want to revisit on page 1 who first originated this thread in 2005, 82-T/A [At Work].

Hahahah!! That's funny as hell... damn... I totally forgot I started this.

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 / 455

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2008 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
I see you're in FLA. what are ya going to do with the automatic you take out?? I may need to change my 5 speed to auto. (my back)
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2008 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Hahahah!! That's funny as hell... damn... I totally forgot I started this.

yup I just took your idea and ran with it. I really like the way it worked out.

my gutted intake airflow seems to match my Engle 18P cam VERY well
pulls to 5500, and, I love the "stock" look. even the DIS looks like it belongs.
yes, someone familear with the engine bay would notice the DIS - but, the Intake, probably not.

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Up!!
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroDirect Link to This Post
Pyrthian

Do plan on dynoing this too. and, my neighbor across the street went and got a fiero too. I may be able to talk him into dynoing with me, and when we do 2nd runs, swaping the plenums. so, we can see exactly the diff on my built up 3.1 w stock & cut-up, and his stock 2.8 with his stock intake & my cut-up intake.
I'm sure everyone wants to see this.

Did you ever make a dyno run with the before and after on the 3.1 and the neighbors 2.8 ?

Is the TB stock or the 58mm bored out TB.....?

------------------
Mark
In the Great Northwest!

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Personally, I prefer to keep the engine bay stock. The one thing I have to question though is... some of these intakes cost upwards of $1,000 bucks. I just don't see the purpose for installing one of these intakes on a 2.8 V6/60. At least in terms of finances, you could do much better with $1,000 dollars by doing a motor swap.

I understand you liking the stock look. Tell me, who's intake for the 2.8 cost $1,000? Our intake for use with the stock EFI system don't cost anywhere near that? For $1,000 we also provide headers and a Y pipe, maybe that's what you are thinking about. As for worth it, it is all just a bolt-on and makes the car a heck of lot more fun to drive without hurting gas milage.

PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NW-Fiero:
Pyrthian

Did you ever make a dyno run with the before and after on the 3.1 and the neighbors 2.8 ?

Is the TB stock or the 58mm bored out TB.....?

nope. just got it all together for the 25th track days, then parked again. in process of getting chip made.
yes, bored out to 57mm.
neighbor no longer has a Fiero...sold it and got a RX-7, so, I will need another local volanteer for the dyno & stock swap.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T: I understand you liking the stock look. Tell me, who's intake for the 2.8 cost $1,000? Our intake for use with the stock EFI system don't cost anywhere near that? For $1,000 we also provide headers and a Y pipe, maybe that's what you are thinking about. As for worth it, it is all just a bolt-on and makes the car a heck of lot more fun to drive without hurting gas milage.

I would never presume at all to say anything negative about your product since A) I've never owned it, and B) if it was crap, everyone would hear about it. I only hear absolutely the most positive things about it on this board.

That said, in my OWN personal opinion about the Fiero has changed over the past 12 years that I've owned the car. When I bought it in 1996, it was a 9 year old car. It was an "older" car, but not really what most people would consider to be an OLD car. The Fiero is now an OOOLD car, with the newest model coming on 21 years of age. I don't mean that in a bad way, at all... but I personally would rather keep the car looking as close to original as I possibly can (if not completely original). I have a 2006 Pontiac Solstice, and I would (in a heart-beat) do all of your modifications on the Solstice (if they were offered). And I pretty much have. I've got a ported throttle body, a cold air intake, a ceramic coated shorty header, a high-flow catalytic converter, etc. It hauls ass... it's a NON-Turbo, and I'm running consistent mid/high 14s all day long. I've shaved a full second off it's factory quarter mile time. But in 20 years, I'll probably want to do the same thing.

And if you're taking a beater Fiero, or one that you have no emotional attachment to, or you have a nice one but the stock look is not your personal preference or concern, then I think it's great.

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 350

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Hey Pyrthian,

I know this thread is totally old, but I'd really like to know what experiences you've had with your new ported plenum? Were you able to resolve those last few issues you had? Do you remember what it was like BEFORE and AFTER?

EDIT: I'd also like to know what the wall thickness is typically throughout the intake. Are there any areas that are especially thin? I'd really like (if possible), to save from having to cut up an intake, and instead see if I can maybe just heavily port the inside and polish it...

Thanks!!!

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 12-01-2009).]

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Hey Pyrthian,

I know this thread is totally old, but I'd really like to know what experiences you've had with your new ported plenum? Were you able to resolve those last few issues you had? Do you remember what it was like BEFORE and AFTER?

EDIT: I'd also like to know what the wall thickness is typically throughout the intake. Are there any areas that are especially thin? I'd really like (if possible), to save from having to cut up an intake, and instead see if I can maybe just heavily port the inside and polish it...

Thanks!!!

it seems to pull nicely to just over 5000 RPMs - I was hoping for more. I'd like a 5500-6000 RPM shift point, but I suppose that is a bit much to ask.
I have yet to dyno - and, being I am now repairing front end damage from rear ending someone back in august, it wont be happeneing until next summer

when I did my 7730 swap, I was hoping the better computer would also help my milage - it did not. so now, I want to put a digital EGR on. being I completely removed the EGR port, I am now looking at going to a Camaro 3.4 intake

the average thickness was 3/16" I think? fitting small peices around the curves & contours of the neck was real PITA. and, now - the difference between the sheet alum & the cast alum has started cracks along the seams. nothing enough to create an actual vacuum leak, but - if I continue to use this - I will be stripping it, and re-welding as needed. but, I am really looking at going to the 3.4 Camaro intake - mostly to get a EGR back in place.

without cutting out & opening the neck restriction - all the porting on earth will not help.

before & after....500-800 RPMs more pull. when I first put it on - I did not notice one of the plenum gaskets was misshapen, and hung into the ports. this really choked it up, and made it run funny. once I found that, I was happy. tho - it was alot of work. but - luckily - I love doing this kinda thing.

edit: thin spots: none. tho, when I milled out the runners, I created thin spots, when I cut to deep near the ports.

------------------
1985 Fiero SE - Plain Red 3.1 V6 Coupe
Engle18Cam DIS 4.10-4spd 7730 WCF Long Tubes Borla
D.A.M.M. - Drunks Against Mad Mothers

[This message has been edited by Pyrthian (edited 12-01-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors