Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  **Fire Hazard** Perfect example of why you should check your fan resistor coil!!!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

**Fire Hazard** Perfect example of why you should check your fan resistor coil!!! by sricka01
Started on: 03-29-2009 03:15 AM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Daniel on 03-29-2009 10:21 AM
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2009 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
Sending a friendly reminder to clean out the resistor coil in the front compartment. It only take a few minutes to remove and suck out debris with a vacuum crevice tool. My warning signs were poor vent output and insulation occasionally blowing up in the defroster vent. I knew I had a mice nest in there but didnt know how bad it was. I've previously found straw and candy wrappers in there in past cleanings. The resistor gets RED HOT when using the circulation fan at low speed. Don't check it next week or next month...check it NOW....I kept putting it off.

I found the nest built INTO the coil. I've been using the fan on low many times...thankfully nothing ever happened.

[This message has been edited by sricka01 (edited 03-29-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
valiantfiero_01

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2009 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for valiantfiero_01Send a Private Message to valiantfiero_01Direct Link to This Post
Great catch! Thanks for the info!
Daniel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2009 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
A great idea, I am in the process of installing a different variable, 7 speed fan controller with an automatic climate control, which I believe will not get as hot as the resistors from an 97-03 grand prix in the following post:
Topic: Digital Automatic HVAC install
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/099304.html

Fan speed controller out of car

Fan speed controller in car

The A/C braket was modified to allow unit to fit up higher, and a stainless steel plate built to attach fan speed controller to, as well as the hole enlarged in ac housing for the heatsink fins to slide into.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock