Started on: 03-06-2009 11:30 AM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 03-06-2009 02:53 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Rodney has strap kits if that's all you need http://rodneydickman.com/n91.html

If you're replacing the decklid hinges, get the later ones.
They are much stronger. The hinge on my 84 Indy broke welds.

From this side view, you can see the later ones are made of thicker steel plate (upper one).
The 84/85? are two thin plates with gussets welded together. Here a weld broke on a gusset.

The later hinge is also designed stronger. You can see the "open" design of hinge
from an 84 on the right. These "legs" can bend making if difficult to align the decklid.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner
My SD4 Indy www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/096075.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTRODirect Link to This Post
Hey Tony......I have an 87 GT and need to remove my decklid, but both straps are broken. Is there any safe/easy way of getting the lid off so I can replace the straps? Also, where can I find replacement straps, and how easy are they to install on existing hinges. I know there is a huge rivet holding the factory ones on, but how do you replace the rivet for the new ones?
Thanks!

------------------
Order Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html
Other decal, poster, banner, floor graphic needs, go here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/045657.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion pushing 350 ponies!!

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SAFASTRO:

Hey Tony......I have an 87 GT and need to remove my decklid, but both straps are broken. Is there any safe/easy way of getting the lid off so I can replace the straps? Also, where can I find replacement straps, and how easy are they to install on existing hinges. I know there is a huge rivet holding the factory ones on, but how do you replace the rivet for the new ones?
Thanks!

Mark the lids location with respect to the hinge, remove the 2 bolts on each side (13 mm socket), disconnect wiring (there is a plug near the hinge on the passenger side). Lift the dick lid off the hinge - a helper works here, but it can be done by yourself.

Now to remove the hinge, you will need a helper so that you can remove the tension on the spring (many threads on here how to do this). You will also need a security torx head to remove the bolt that is holding the spring to the hinge. Mark the hinge location on the frame, remove the 2 nuts (13mm) and your done.

Rodney sells the kit to replace the straps (it comes with new rivets) - link in Tony's post. Drill the old rivets out, install the new straps and rivets and ping out the ends of the rivets with a hammer.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 03-06-2009).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock