GT Fastback with luggage rack by Cdewolfe
Started on: 03-04-2009 08:02 AM
Replies: 31
Last post by: Cdewolfe on 03-26-2009 08:21 PM
Cdewolfe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CdewolfeSend a Private Message to CdewolfeDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody have info on putting luggage rack on a fastback? My GT came without a wing from the factory, and the previous owner installed one. But I'm thinking I might like the look of it with a luggage rack. Anybody have any pictures? Installation instructions (will it even fit?)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cdewolfe:

Does anybody have info on putting luggage rack on a fastback? My GT came without a wing from the factory, and the previous owner installed one. But I'm thinking I might like the look of it with a luggage rack. Anybody have any pictures? Installation instructions (will it even fit?)

I have seen them... although they aren't very common. Almost all the fastbacks I've seen either had plain lids or a wing, but I have seen some in the yard.

I personally think it looks good...

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convt. (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1981 EZ-GO Xi875-A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 350

chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
if you're using a fiero to carry luggage, you have the wrong car.

------------------
1986 GT Fiero Owner & Enthusiast
For Fiero updates, visit my site and don't forget visit our google ad sponsors
http://educatorstop15.com/fieropage.htm

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
i know where theres a fast back deck lid with a pack rack on it but iv been sworn to secrecy. (how ever you spell that)
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Yes it will fit.
We had a guy in our town that did it and I liked the look.
If you find one to use just copy the layout from the donner car and your on your way.
Remember to get all the bits and pieces nuts and screws.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
This fiero owner has a GT with a rack.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074674.html
Cdewolfe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CdewolfeSend a Private Message to CdewolfeDirect Link to This Post
I just like the look. Smaller than the wing, but not as naked looking as without the wing. I used to have a '84 coupe with a rack and liked the way it looked (and carried the odd parcel which wouldn't fit in the trunk).

I think the non-wing fastbacks look wierd and naked, especially since there is no lip.

(White 88 GT)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

This fiero owner has a GT with a rack.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074674.html

You know, I quite like the way it looks... and it's practical as well.

Originally posted by pocket dude 411:

Heres some pics of the car. It needs alot of work i know. But what fun is a project car that doesnt need work right?

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You know, I quite like the way it looks... and it's practical as well.

Indeed, i like it too. The owner of the car doesn't like it, so I told him he better not mess up that decklid..or else.

But its different because that car has T-Tops

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-06-2009).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I have an '86 GT, and to tell the truth, I've always felt the rear wing is a bit too gaudy. I think I'd actually prefer having a luggage rack back there like on my notchies. Hmmm....
PFF
System Bot
Cdewolfe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CdewolfeSend a Private Message to CdewolfeDirect Link to This Post
Mattwa: So think your friend wants to trade? Mine is Whiite too.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I don't know, you can PM him and use me as a reference if you wish.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008

I have an '86 GT, and to tell the truth, I've always felt the rear wing is a bit too gaudy. I think I'd actually prefer having a luggage rack back there like on my notchies. Hmmm....

I don't think you can put the same rack on the GT. I think the GT one is bigger. Not sure though.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I don't think you can put the same rack on the GT. I think the GT one is bigger. Not sure though.

Alright, who's got one they can measure?

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I suspect they are the same units on both the notchies and the GTs, but it would be great to get a measurement from a GT rack to know for sure.
Cdewolfe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CdewolfeSend a Private Message to CdewolfeDirect Link to This Post
I would also be nice to know how it attaches... don't think there are any guidepoints on the underside of the deck lid like there was with my old 84
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post

the notchie is bigger than the GT
I once tried to figure that out , while thinking of installing one on my GT last year don't remember the measure though.
I had my GT beside a Notchie that has it on .

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 03-07-2009).]

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
I took some pics of the GT Fastback decklid with the factory luggage rack, and interesting enuf the one pic which isnt so good shows a nut/bolt inside the latch mech hole, I'm assuming they molded it together with the luggage rack already installed, I forgot to take a pic front to back with the tape measure so if anyones interested in that speak up and i'll post it tommorrow

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Back On Holiday:

I forgot to take a pic front to back with the tape measure so if anyones interested in that speak up and i'll post it tommorrow

Yes please. I'd like to compare that measurement as well as the side to side one with the notchie's rack.
PFF
System Bot
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Yes please. I'd like to compare that measurement as well as the side to side one with the notchie's rack.

Will do, and sorry about the huge pics(in case someone gets pissed), I thought since we were doing measurements and such the bigger the pic the better.
thefierofarm.com

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thefierofarm.comClick Here to visit thefierofarm.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to thefierofarm.comDirect Link to This Post
I have a black 88 GT with the luggage rack.

http://fierofarm.com/photo_gallery.htm

------------------
That Todd guy
President of the Kansas City Fiero Owners Group

The Fiero Farm is not officially open but if you need parts, Email me at todd@thefierofarm.com
www.thefierofarm.com
Bates City, MO

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Very interesting, very interesting.
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Thanks BOH. I'll have to compare your measurements with those from one of my notchies.
Cdewolfe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CdewolfeSend a Private Message to CdewolfeDirect Link to This Post
Heya guys... what were the results? Are the same rack? Anybody know how the thing attaches? I don't see any attachments on the underside of the silver decklid shown above. *puzzled*
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cdewolfe:

Heya guys... what were the results? Are the same rack? Anybody know how the thing attaches? I don't see any attachments on the underside of the silver decklid shown above. *puzzled*

Trust me, I looked... I swear it looks like the luggage rack was put on the top section of the decklid before the two pieces were molded together.
you could "Drill" out the bottom to install a rack, if people are still interested I might just experiment with this decklid and find out where the fasteners are all at.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm... there IS a difference.

The racks appear to be the same length from the very front to the very back - 23".

However, the notchie rack is 52" wide from side to side. The GT decklid itself is only about 48".

So in other words, the notchie rack is too wide for the GT decklid. Dang it.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-12-2009).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
So mold the edges of the rear clips onto the decklid and tada! 52"!

sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2009 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
This is apparently what holds the rack to the decklid.

PFF
System Bot
Cdewolfe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CdewolfeSend a Private Message to CdewolfeDirect Link to This Post
Are those rivets or threaded inserts?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock