Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  vacuum resivior? tomato juice can? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
vacuum resivior? tomato juice can? by BlackGT Codde
Started on: 01-07-2009 04:21 PM
Replies: 64
Last post by: BlackGT Codde on 01-13-2009 11:50 PM
BlackGT Codde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
ok im still rebuilding my v6 and noticed that my vacuum canister was damaged so decided to replace it
its beyond repair so i started at fierostore. they didnt have it online. that was wierd?
so i thought it looked just like a food can compared it with a large tomato juice can and its exactly the same size!
so all you need to do is :
bend the ears of the bracket so that the old can comes off. then clean the old brackett of rust.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
after that(mine isnt cleaned yet) make sure you have the plastic fitting
now if you want the stuff inside dont open the can otherwise it will be useless for this task
you will have to stab a slit or hole into the center of the can
after draining the fluid drill a hole slightly offset for the one way valve stem
use a large drill bit. lightly sand the surface of the valve to make the surface free of nicks from removing it from the old canister
and yes the bracket does fit onto the can. gm really went to the food pantry when they made this thing.
no you cant just pull the plastic insert out or it will break. you should cut off any metal around it and try to peel it out of the groove
so leave urself some gripping room on the side
very quick and cheap maybe 1 dollar for all the parts(including paint) if you have some lying around.
bon appetite

[This message has been edited by BlackGT Codde (edited 01-07-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
What would be really cool -- leave the tomato juice label on the can. Maybe you could clear-coat it to preserve it. Then you'll really get some stares when you show off your engine.
Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
Mid 90's Ford F150 trucks use the same can just a different bracket.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
Isn't there a plastic alternative from a later car? Maybe not can-shaped, but with the proper connections?
Twilight Fenrir

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pswayne:

What would be really cool -- leave the tomato juice label on the can. Maybe you could clear-coat it to preserve it. Then you'll really get some stares when you show off your engine.

Priceless
sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:

Isn't there a plastic alternative from a later car? Maybe not can-shaped, but with the proper connections?

4.9 Cadillacs use a much less obtrusive plastic reservior

Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
BlackGT Codde - Nice writeup and pics but I was wondering how you attached the plastic valve piece to the can to get an airtight fit? Picture?
Larry
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Lots of pictures here.
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by spark1:

Lots of pictures

Yes, and I tried it and came to the conclusion that I cannot solder worth a darn.
Larry
tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincDirect Link to This Post
A plastic vacuum tank for aftermarket cruise control can be found for under $15 new.
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
I have a complete vacume setup no rust. I painted it red. $20.00 plus shipping. Removed it from my 88 when I installed my 4.9
Let me Know

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC build underway
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I can't BELIEVE someone would want to dick around with the vacuum system on their car using a friggin tin can. DAMN - either get a proper replacement like Fieroking has or park the car .... You wanna cheap out, you get what you deserve ...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Hey, how about using a 1 quart can of V8 juice instead.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Older US cars used Folger coffee cans. Any airtight canister will work. Mercedes used to use a plastic one that looked like a box of eggs. You can use any you can find if its the right volume. Same for radiator overflow tanks. First ones were metal boxes (60s Fords), then everyone went with plastic because you could make it any shape to stuff into a cramped engine bay. Aftermarket ones are aluminum cans that are all polished or chromed purdy.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

+1

Sounds like a really cool idea.

Might even be a fun mod for a regular vacuum canister..
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

I can't BELIEVE someone would want to dick around with the vacuum system on their car using a friggin tin can. DAMN - either get a proper replacement like Fieroking has or park the car .... You wanna cheap out, you get what you deserve ...

Sometimes it's not about being cheap....when I made my thread about repairing the original one. It was more about finding a fix for a common problem. Sure....the easiest fix would be to install a plastic replacement from another car. But, what fun is that, especially if you like problem solving. Heck, I have the newer style cruise servos in both my Fieros. I did that because my vacuum one broke, and my other car didn't have cruise. And I did it before DarthFiero posted his instructions. Problem solved.... I'm not "Cheap" I'm Frugal..
-Jason

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 01-09-2009).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK:I can't BELIEVE someone would want to dick around with the vacuum system on their car using a friggin tin can...

I can, since that's basically what GM used. Not everyone has the $$$$ like people do in SoCal.

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Not everyone has the $$$$ like people do in SoCal.

!?!?!

Originally posted by Fieroking:

$20.00 plus shipping.

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Older US cars used Folger coffee cans.

Was that when they still made 1 pound coffee cans? I used to keep one around just for measuring DE for the pool filter. I guess the filter maker didn't think a pound can would ever become 11.5 oz.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 01-08-2009).]

FieroV6Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post

Sometimes there is the idea of keeping things as original as possible. Just because some people have to tweak everything on their Fiero doesn't mean that others don't try to keep theirs looking as original as possible.

Easiest way to build with the juice can is to cut the top for a snug fit for the fitting and use black silicone. To make it look original and keep it from rusting out I used spray black bedliner from A-zone. Looks like the factory and should never rust.
jsketcham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jsketchamSend a Private Message to jsketchamDirect Link to This Post
Ya know, I just bought my first fiero from Delaware and the vacuum can was completely rotted out. so i took the bracket off of the leftover canister and did a lill measuring, went to the local store and found the exact size can ( tomato paste actually ) , drilled a hole in the top and used a handy die grinder to make a round hole for the plastic insert from the old canister. washed out the can , dried it, sprayed it inside with paint, sealed the insert to the can, and sprayed it outside with paint. put the original bracket on the new can and it is better than new. the whole thing cost me about $4 to do including sealer, and a half used can of paint. now for the guy who says buy the factory stuff or park the car, well all i can say is there is alot more custom parts on the fieros then just body parts. I highly doubt anyone could tell the difference between the oem can and the one i rebuilt. Good luck with the replacement..
PFF
System Bot
Twilight Fenrir

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirDirect Link to This Post

Sometimes, people just do things because they can... And, alot of people like this kind of thing, otherwise McGyver wouldn't be such a popular series :P Besides, why pay to fix something you can fix for free? Plus, soup cans are alloyed, especially tomato-related cans. It's not going to rust for a Loooooooooong time.
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Twilight Fenrir:

Sometimes, people just do things because they can... And, alot of people like this kind of thing, otherwise McGyver wouldn't be such a popular series :P Besides, why pay to fix something you can fix for free? Plus, soup cans are alloyed, especially tomato-related cans. It's not going to rust for a Loooooooooong time.

Absolutly, It's just fun to do. It has nothing to do with being cheap. I replaced my rusted out tin can with a plastic vacuum ball. It just looks silly on the car, kinda like a toilet bowl float. I still have the can bracket and will be putting a tomato can on her. Plus it's more in line with how our cars were made. You really have to love a car that was made with a tin can for part of the car.

[This message has been edited by Larryh86GT (edited 01-09-2009).]

BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
im sorry if i offended anyone about keeping my car stock but my car isnt stock anyway.
its just a way to keep your car running from home made stuff
and it gives people the feeling that they accomplished something really easy.
oh and i use rtv sealer to hold the plastic piece on its very strong stuff.
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackGT Codde:

im sorry if i offended anyone about keeping my car stock but my car isnt stock anyway.
its just a way to keep your car running from home made stuff
and it gives people the feeling that they accomplished something really easy.
oh and i use rtv sealer to hold the plastic piece on its very strong stuff.

Hey, good thread Black GT. + for you. Thanks.
BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
Pauljk
sorry if i offended you but i couldnt find the canister online and didnt want to waste time trying to find and
special order something. also i thought that it looked completely stock.
noone can tell the difference besides the optional rust.
i kinda thought that i could use something much quicker and cheaper.
where im at 20 bucks fills your tank so thats a lot of money to me.
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

im sorry if i offended anyone ....

I'm sorry too - I'm not trying to be personally critical or insulting, just trying to make an important point. I can relate to expenses, but I also see the word "cheap" used here so often it makes me tired (in over 6 Thousand threads according to SEARCH)

Generally:

The point is that when you get into your car you are taking your life in your hands - and more importantly, the lives of those around you. These are not radio-controlled replicas, and this is not Fun-N-Games when you are travelling at highway speeds. Parts for these cars are professionally designed with a LOT of things taken into account - do the "juice-can" guys know all of the design considerations - I think that's a big NO. it's one thing to use automotive grade parts and another to use household items to fix your car. Just because it looks like a juice can is a poor reason to use it, ESPECIALLY when you can get a factory replacement so cheap. I WONDER why fieros get a bad rep (!?)

Anybody wants to use this stuff to fix their car is not my business. Use bubble gum and scotch tape. But read through the Technical threads and find out all the problems that come from vacuum leaks; maybe now, maybe 6 months from now when your juice can starts to leak. What happens if you get a piece of debris sucked into your engine ? I guess the "mcGuyver-edition" fiero ends up on a flatbed and it costs more than the $20 it WOULD have cost to do it right.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 01-09-2009).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001

where im at 20 bucks fills your tank so thats a lot of money to me.

Well, keep an eye out for a package from Fiero-king {my treat }. Hope things get better {for us all }

BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
i didnt see it as using garbage. i should find the original canister and show you what came off the car.
i see what youre getting at. i just saw that gm used a 1 qrt food can for a vacuum canister and thought id rebuild mine.
and as far as quality goes i personally feel that i have done a good enough job that its not going to
cause problems
but im not gonna argue any more.
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Well, you're going to have a factory replacement on the way soon ....
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
You have a PM

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC build underway
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
didn't get it - please send it again with shipping charge (to ship to BlackGT Codde) and your paypal. thank you

BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
oh and if it helps i got to make chili out of the juice that was in the can!
tasted pretty good btw.
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
considering what i have to eat around here, i bet it was pretty good
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
If anyone was being cheap here I would say it was Pontiac for using a tin can in the first place.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Isn't that the $20 cup holder?
BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
very well could be, but i found it attatched to the tin can under the decklid.
ive wire wheeled it and painted it with high temp paint since.
also: the rust only looks worse than it is. it wasnt that bad.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

The point is that when you get into your car you are taking your life in your hands - and more importantly, the lives of those around you. These are not radio-controlled replicas, and this is not Fun-N-Games when you are travelling at highway speeds. Parts for these cars are professionally designed with a LOT of things taken into account - do the "juice-can" guys know all of the design considerations - I think that's a big NO. it's one thing to use automotive grade parts and another to use household items to fix your car. Just because it looks like a juice can is a poor reason to use it, ESPECIALLY when you can get a factory replacement so cheap. I WONDER why fieros get a bad rep (!?)

Just a quick question, if I may.

What exactly do you think is going to happen, when he changes one tin can, for another? That is all the original vacuum canister is, a tin can, nothing more. Do you honestly think, that there is any scenario, that could possibly play out to be a wreck, or cause harm to anyone, form the vacuum can starting to leak, or fail all together? Just curious.
I think some are getting too worked up over a tin can, to replace a tin can in this case. It's not like he is making a tie rod end out of a wooden dowel rod, or something else dangerous.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 01-10-2009).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

I think some are getting too worked up over a tin can, to replace a tin can in this case. It's not like he is making a tie rod end out of a wooden dowel rod, or something else dangerous.

Are you suggesting there might be an inherent problem with my cedar control arms?

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Just a quick question, if I may.

What exactly do you think is going to happen, when he changes one tin can, for another? That is all the original vacuum canister is, a tin can, nothing more. Do you honestly think, that there is any scenario, that could possibly play out to be a wreck, or cause harm to anyone, form the vacuum can starting to leak, or fail all together? Just curious.

Kevin

Ah the voice of reason... I wanted to give you a plus but I already had.

I can tell you from experience, (when my aftermarket vacuum canister was mounted too close to the exhaust and failed), that the worst that will happen is that you will get a sucking vacuum leak and some driveability issues. Not fatal, but it will affect engine performance.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock