Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  How safe in the Fiero in Rear and Front Crashes?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How safe in the Fiero in Rear and Front Crashes? by Bill DeTucci
Started on: 12-15-2008 10:37 AM
Replies: 33
Last post by: Brocephus on 12-17-2008 10:54 PM
Bill DeTucci

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bill DeTucciClick Here to visit Bill DeTucci's HomePageSend a Private Message to Bill DeTucciDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys!

How safe in the Fiero in Rear and Front Crashes?

The gas Tank is in the middle of the arm rest, right?

Thanks!

www.billdetucci.com
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mark A. Klein

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinDirect Link to This Post
The ONLY 5 star goverment crash test rating without an air bag.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero had 5 star crash ratings every year it was made. It was second only to Volvo.

For more info see:
http://www.fiercegt.com/safety.html

http://www.crashtest.com/pontiac/ie.htm

----Years-----------Vehicle-------------doors-------weight--------Driver-------Passenger
1984---1988---Pontiac Fiero-------- 2Dr---------- 3000-------- (*****)--------(*****)

We had a local member who was T-boned by a Ford F-150 pick-up truck. The Fiero broke in half. He walked away with minor injuries and was home that night. The driver of the pick-up spent 2 weeks in the hospital (he wasn't wearing his seatbelt). The story and pics are at: www.fierofocus.com
Select article's and then scroll down to "Fiero Safety Testimonial".

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 12-15-2008).]

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
pretty sure you can drive one off a cliff and walk away with a few scratches
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
much depends on the accident - but Fiero's are VERY safe - and VERY solid vehicles.
very resistant to rolling
you have box frame at your hip for side impact
you have dang near a "gaurd rail" inside your door
you have a long "crunch zone" in the front and rear

it is NOT a thin walled subcompact.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Can't comment on a front/rear ender but I flipped and rolled mine at 60 mph, walked away with hardly a scratch. No intrusion into the cabin at all, in fact the high sided center console helped keep me in the seat instead of doing an impression of an egg in a box.

Outside of car:

Cabin (hardly a mark on it):

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
my first fiero (88) Hit the first tree head on at over 50 MPH. The fiero bounced off and spun the driver side door around another tree. The back slammed into 4 more trees. The car was a complete loss, the driver (not me...) was not even scratched. he wasn't even sore the next day... ( I should have made him sore...)

added:
the engine was still good. It ended up in my next fiero for another 5 years.

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 12-15-2008).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
There built like racecars. The exterior body panel carry no load and are only cosmetic. You can even still drive one without ANY body panels on it at all. Most other cars carry structural strength thru roof and quarter panels. Most now also spread the load thru bonded in windows.
Brocephus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

Outside of car:

It tears somethin' up inside me everytime I see this pic. There just aren't enough good lookin' Fieros left and to lose one like this just hurts.
85GT3.4Track4spdCar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-15-2008 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT3.4Track4spdCarSend a Private Message to 85GT3.4Track4spdCarDirect Link to This Post
Originally, Hulki sent the concept of the Fiero to Entech, which makes race cars, and they sent back a Monocoque type Chassis which Pontiac reverse engineered and mated to the 'ol mill & drill.

The best testament to the survivability aspect of the Fiero was when a prominent member of the NHTSA, upon reviewing data from the Fiero's tests and real life accident field investigations, decided to purchase one for is own DAUGHTER.

Pretty good endorsement for the safety aspect of the Fiero back in 84-85.

But still, try not to be a test crash dummy...
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Of the 15 Fieros I've owned, Five have been totaled. All were 88s. All were notchbacks. My son totaled one of his cars twice but I'm only counting it as one totaled car. Of the worst accidents, son had a head on collision with a Ford F250 Van, combined speed of approximately 90 mph, all walked away. Daughter was rear-ended, the driver of the other car was cited, he admitted that his speed was around 60 in a 55 mph. My daughter was at a complete stop, the car was totaled, front and rear due to her being pushed into the car infront of her, chain reaction involving three cars infront of my daughter. She and her companion both walked away with only minor issues.

When it comes to car safety, for it's age, nothing competes with our little two seater, rear engined monsters for the dollar value.

Ron
PFF
System Bot
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

The Fiero had 5 star crash ratings every year it was made. It was second only to Volvo.

For more info see:
http://www.fiercegt.com/safety.html

http://www.crashtest.com/pontiac/ie.htm

----Years-----------Vehicle-------------doors-------weight--------Driver-------Passenger
1984---1988---Pontiac Fiero-------- 2Dr---------- 3000-------- (*****)--------(*****)

We had a local member who was T-boned by a Ford F-150 pick-up truck. The Fiero broke in half. He walked away with minor injuries and was home that night. The driver of the pick-up spent 2 weeks in the hospital (he wasn't wearing his seatbelt). The story and pics are at: www.fierofocus.com

If you take an overall look, the Fiero actually beat the Volvo a few times, even in Volvo's later '90s models:

code:

1992--- Volvo 240------------ 4Dr-- 2980 (*****) (**** )
1979--- Volvo 244DL---------- 4Dr-- 3374 (* ) (* )
1988--- Volvo 740GLE--------- 4Dr-- 3550 (*****) (*****)
1983--- Volvo 760GLE--------- 4Dr-- 3560 (**** ) (**** )
1994-97 Volvo 850------------ 4Dr-- 3241 (*****) (**** ) (**** ) ( N/A )
1997--- Volvo 960------------ 4Dr-- 3521 (**** ) (**** )
1982--- Volvo DL------------- 2Dr-- 3354 (**** ) (*****)
1985--- Volvo DL------------- 4Wa-- 3590 (*****) (*****)
1985--- Volvo DL------------- 4Dr-- 3400 (*****) (*****)

In short, yes, it is extremely safe. I hit an oil slick @ ~55mph on a curvy road due to a recycling truck losing a barrel, did about 12 donuts, and planted a tree square in the middle of the rear. My friend and I both were both a little dizzy, I think from the spinning, but that was it.
I also saw a fiero that a guy was going too fast in, slid off the road, and planted a tree in the roof (he hit it while the car was on it's side). He climbed out where the sunroof was, and didn't even go to the hospital.

------------------
Journal of a concept: http://southeastfieros.com >>> Build Thread >>> Parts thread (for project funding)

Mr. Farknocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerDirect Link to This Post
A long time ago, I heard a rumor that the Fiero was dangerous in a frontal impact because the hood could sever the heads of the occupants. I have never been able to empiracally verify this.

------------------

Farknocker's Superfly Yellow '87 GT
355ci Chevy
....chicks dig it, men fear it.

Fiero Brick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero BrickSend a Private Message to Fiero BrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr. Farknocker:

A long time ago, I heard a rumor that the Fiero was dangerous in a frontal impact because the hood could sever the heads of the occupants. I have never been able to empiracally verify this.

There are metal posts up front that prevent the hood from doing this.

Edit:

I also want to add another reason that the Fiero is safe; the engine is in the back. This frees up more space in the front to be a crumple zone and protect against head-on collisions, which tend to be more violent than rear-end wrecks.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Brick (edited 12-15-2008).]

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
back in highschool, i had a friend get rear ended by a 79 chevy truck on his 86 gt. only cracked the tail lights, and broke the spoiler. the truck needed extensive front end repair. the owner of the truck ( some dumbass highschool kid from a rival school ) was not very happy of the outcome.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

Kagen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KagenSend a Private Message to KagenDirect Link to This Post
Seeing and hearing about all the crashed fieros makes me pretty sad. Especially since its so hard to find one out here, took me 9 months to find one
megafreakindeth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2008 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
another bonus is that the fiero was designed to impact large, solid objects, very hard, and drive away with the headlights still working. the concept of crumple zone is limited to the headlight buckets(which ive reinforced with small bars to box them in, tacked to the main railings) and the frame rails bend up at the radiator so the front of the car will lift if you manage to hit something that hard(100mph). that said, ALL cars now are weak, plastic, full of styrofoam, and have extensive crumple zones. these cars are designed to save you wiplash, not the car. a 50 mph colision with another car in a fiero requires a hand operated frame puller to fix, a 50mph collision in a mercedes requires cutting and regluing half the car back togeather. the best safety feature of driving a fiero TODAY is that all cars have crumple zones so you dont need them. i saw one hit the back of a jetta and cavitated the entire trunk and bumper into itself with nothing but damage to the headlight bucket on one side, the frame rail was perfect, the subframe was perfect, the alighment was unchanged. our cars rule.
megafreakindeth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2008 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post

megafreakindeth

553 posts
Member since Aug 2006
to prove it further i had 3 reckless drivings and several speeding tickets in my golf that had abs and airbags. then at age 19 i bought a 2door sports car(fiero) and my insurance was cut in half for full coverage
pswayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2008 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

Go directly to the article here.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2008 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pswayne:

Go directly to the article here.

Be careful to link directly to the articles. We are going to be revamping our club website and some of the links will most likely change.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2008 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post

The guy who owned this Fiero drove into a bridge abutment and walked away. The used car dealer had sold the car to the guy, bought back the wreck, (low mileage engine) and sold him the next one, a Formula this time.
PFF
System Bot
dudewithoutfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2008 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

The guy who owned this Fiero drove into a bridge abutment and walked away. The used car dealer had sold the car to the guy, bought back the wreck, (low mileage engine) and sold him the next one, a Formula this time.

all i have to say is HOLY S#$%

joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2008 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Can we please restrain from posting pictures of Fieros in that condition?

Like many people here say "Our cars are like our kids"

You wouldnt want me posting a picture of a dead kid would you?
Especially not one that mangled.

My stomach cant take much more of this thread.

-Joe
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2008 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joesfiero:

Can we please restrain from posting pictures of Fieros in that condition?

Like many people here say "Our cars are like our kids"

You wouldnt want me posting a picture of a dead kid would you?
Especially not one that mangled.

My stomach cant take much more of this thread.

-Joe

I happen to like the fact that every pic in this thread was when there was a survivor. I appreciate the sacrifices these fieros gave to save their drivers. Good to know these cars love us as much as we love them.
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2008 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Moving on.........

I have a question along this topic. Most of us know that our cars were 5* rated, second only to Volvo in the '80s. HOWEVER, how do those tests compare to todays standards? Are they running the same tests, using the same key elements to rate how a car does in the tests?

Basically, if you were to take a Fiero to be tested using the criteria for new cars, how would one be rated today?
My brother in law (a cop) was poking fun at the Fiero the other day. He was saying how unsafe it looks and yada yada yada. Obviously I told him about the crash test ratings to which his reply was "Yeah back in the 1800s it might have passed, everything was more unsafe back then."

Im not sure how to answer that. If anyone knows of solid evidence, let me know.

-Joe

PS the 1800s is obviously a joke, he knows its an '85.
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2008 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
My understanding is they did a 35mph solid barrier test. Not sure how they tested the side impacts. Never have seen any rear impact tests.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2008 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Speaking from personal experience I'd say that structurally it's fine but obviously it lacks some safety issues like air bags. I think the biggest problem with the Fiero is the crappy brakes so you just cannot drive it like a modern car and expect the brakes to get you out of some situations. Of course if you 'upgrade' the brakes you leave yourself open to all sort of liability issues should you have an accident, even if the upgraded system is superior to the originals.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2008 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joesfiero:

Moving on.........

I have a question along this topic. Most of us know that our cars were 5* rated, second only to Volvo in the '80s. HOWEVER, how do those tests compare to todays standards? Are they running the same tests, using the same key elements to rate how a car does in the tests?

Basically, if you were to take a Fiero to be tested using the criteria for new cars, how would one be rated today?
My brother in law (a cop) was poking fun at the Fiero the other day. He was saying how unsafe it looks and yada yada yada. Obviously I told him about the crash test ratings to which his reply was "Yeah back in the 1800s it might have passed, everything was more unsafe back then."

Im not sure how to answer that. If anyone knows of solid evidence, let me know.

-Joe

PS the 1800s is obviously a joke, he knows its an '85.

Joe,
Obviously, safety standards and testing have changed and/or improved. I can't say how our cars would do today and be anywhere close to accurate but, I can testify to the crashworthyness of our cars. My kids have done their part to make all 88s rarer, thusly, increasing their value. If testing was done without air bags, I believe our cars would do very well in comparasion but, until we add airbags to our cars, we would fail. But, bang for your buck, the Fiero is still one of the safest cars on the road.

Ron
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2008 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Joe,
Obviously, safety standards and testing have changed and/or improved. I can't say how our cars would do today and be anywhere close to accurate but, I can testify to the crashworthyness of our cars. My kids have done their part to make all 88s rarer, thusly, increasing their value. If testing was done without air bags, I believe our cars would do very well in comparasion but, until we add airbags to our cars, we would fail. But, bang for your buck, the Fiero is still one of the safest cars on the road.

Ron

Let's have some comparisons... I don't have any valid data to back up the speeds of these vehicles, so this is just for illustration purposes...

Volvo, side impact, fatality:

Fiero, side impact, survived:

Hummer, frontal, fatality:

Fiero, frontal, survived:

Unknown, trapped by semi, fatality:

Fiero, trapped by semi, survived:

The simple point is that the Fiero is very uniquely made. Where GM shortchanged, using parts bins, they more than made up for it in safety. In a modern crash test, I personally would still pit the Fiero against any other car in any crash test. I would bet all $12 in my checking account that not only would you have a better chance of survival, your Fiero would also have a better chance of repair. Please also note that in the above images, not only did the Fiero owners survive, they didn't even need serious medical attention... That's my 2 cents...

------------------
Journal of a concept: http://southeastfieros.com >>> Build Thread >>> Parts thread (for project funding)

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2008 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget Fi Ero. That's him on crutches:

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 12-17-2008).]

fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2008 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Don't forget Fi Ero. That's him on crutches:

Darn, forgot that one... sorry. But it bolsters my statement... He survived, and with what, a broken ankle?.
Thanks hudini!

[This message has been edited by fieroboom (edited 12-17-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2008 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I think theyve only added a front corner collision. To me , those are the most damaging and I dont know if anyone doing testing has ever tried a Fiero.
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2008 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I think theyve only added a front corner collision. To me , those are the most damaging and I dont know if anyone doing testing has ever tried a Fiero.

With images like I posted above, and a guard rail in your door, I don't think we have anything to worry about, even with corner collisions. I don't have any pics of my white '86 GT when I planted the tree in the back, but I hit that mofo h-a-r-d... It was hard enough that it pushed the entire drivetrain forward, shattered all the windows, and cracked the windshield. And my friend and I got out to survey the damage. He bumped his head on the seat belt retainer in the B-pillar, so he was a little goofy, and repeating himself, but he checked out fine.
Brocephus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2008 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusDirect Link to This Post
Unfortuantely for the Fiero and the Fiero enthusiast, these cars, although finally appreciating in value, are still cheap enough to be bought by any young punk kid with a job at McDonalds. As a result, I can only see them becoming even more scarce as they are wrecked by drivers with no respect for the Pegasus and no appreciation for its quality and history. There is no greater crime than to protect a fool who would feel neither regret, nor loss, for killing off one of a dying breed. But I personally, have no doubt, that should the day come when I am forced to ask my Fiero to breath its last to keep me safe, I will walk away and mourn the loss of a friend.

------------------

My Fiero ate an import. No, seriously.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock