Started on: 12-10-2008 02:38 AM
Replies: 57
Last post by: i151 on 12-15-2008 02:40 AM
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JumpStart:

I totally agree with this but everyone keeps referring to too much HP for the 5spd. I know that horsepower and torque go hand in hand but I would think that the Torque is what you would need to worry more about. I could be wrong.

Steve

That is true--I just assume that everyone knows with the more HP come more Torque. Which equals a busted 5 speed!!!!!!
IP: Logged
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I personally think that blower porting and IC's and all that is a waste of time anymore... I would go un intercooled gen5 if I was to ever do anything with a m90.... Intercooling is the biggest waste of time for newbie 3800 people, 9/10 times I have only seen it decrease horsepower.

I will have to disagree with you on the IC part being a waste of time and money. If an IC is a waste then why are you running one on your turbo setup you are building? Wether it is on an M-90 or Turbo setup, it is doing the same thing, which is cooling the intake air.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Concept and such are right, its just the effort and or money required does not show the gains with limited airflow provided by the m90.

One of the reasons turbo is so appealing to me is the fact you can setup a "correct" ic for dirt cheap. The heatsoak issues with a under blower IC are also a bit of a concern to me... As why every IC i have installed was a epoxy based frame around the core.

There was a "zzp car" that ran around all summer, with a similar setup to yours, and it was dirt slow and dyno'd 312whp... when my buddies non IC car with IDENTICAL mods dyno'd 333whp on the same dyno the same day, with 2 degrees less timing and .2 less pulley (2.8 vs 3.0).

The last IC I setup was on a rocker setup... with tuning I was able to get it running pretty strong... but I dont think I have really taken advantage of the IC properly yet... I have tons of time into tuning as it is and imo its not close.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 12-11-2008).]

RideZiLightning

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kekipi:

A 3.8 and 3.3 is a 90 degree motor like a 5.7. the 2.8, 3.4 is a 60 or 70 degree design.

I was talking about pulley sizes man lol
i151

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for i151Send a Private Message to i151Direct Link to This Post
ok so does the heat exchanger kits come with lines long enough to reach all the way up front or do i need to fab up something different?
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by i151:

ok so does the heat exchanger kits come with lines long enough to reach all the way up front or do i need to fab up something different?

The line do not come with the HE so you have to make up something. What I did was take 2 of the larger heater core lines that run under the cars from parts Fieros. They where the correct size, lenght and already where made to fit in the channels under the car. I used them for under the car and then from the ends I ran rubber heater hose to the IC/HE. Worked out well and didn't cost be anything but the cost of the heater hose line.
i151

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for i151Send a Private Message to i151Direct Link to This Post
ight guys i decided to go with:

1. pulley- what size ?
2. manifold and 3'' back-prolly pace setter manifold
3 intake- heard bout people doing a CRX intake?...any thoughts on that or?

the next time around will be p/p blower and a cam and valvetrain set up with maybe another pulley..

DCRFiero1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post

the next time around will be p/p blower and a cam and valvetrain set up with maybe another pulley..

I believe that a CRX intake is something that is used for 2.8 v6's. Not a 3800SC.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

1. pulley- what size ?
2. manifold and 3'' back-prolly pace setter manifold

3.4 pulley to start with and be sure to buy a MPS so changing them will be easy. Pacesetter headers with 3 inch exhaust will work but the trunk will have to be cut to fit it all in there. Intake you will need at least 3.5-4 inch tubing to get plenty of air in. For the intake there are a a few options out there.

4 inch PVC 45* into some 4 inch tubing--ZZP sells some nice 4 inch tubing
4 inch mandrel bend into some 4 inch tubing
3.5 inch mandrerl bend into some 3.5 inch tubing--Intense sells the 3.5 inch tubing
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Get some OBX headers on ebay

Cheap cheap cheap

You MAY have to tweak them a tiny bit ( crossover issues ) but the welds are great and they are stainless. Great deal IMO
fieroboom

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

11.326 second 1/4mi pass w/3800 II SC, and it sounds like NOS at the beginning...

Is that what you're wanting?

EDIT: And I think he beat that Camaro...

------------------
Journal of a concept: http://southeastfieros.com >>> Build Thread >>> Parts thread (for project funding)

[This message has been edited by fieroboom (edited 12-12-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2008 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RideZiLightning:

Get some OBX headers on ebay

Cheap cheap cheap

You MAY have to tweak them a tiny bit ( crossover issues ) but the welds are great and they are stainless. Great deal IMO

I was going to say get the OBX but with the cross over not being correct then didn't mention it. They are supposed to be fixing the problem and will be a good deal for headers.
I
i151

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2008 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for i151Send a Private Message to i151Direct Link to This Post
the pacesetter is about the same price as the obx
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2008 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rolling Thunder:

If your goal is 300rwhp, you got it very easily. No A/C or P/S should free up 20-40hp. The intake and exhaust work you should do should supply another 10 or so hp. A tune should get you a few more... you don't need to do heads and intercooler to make 300rwhp. If you end up short of 300, get a smaller sc pulley.

P/S may burn up several Horsepower but you lose no horsepower when the A/C is not running. When the A/C is shut off, the compressor clutch freewheels and doesn't use any Horsepower. Smaller pulleys do increase boost to a point but using smaller than a 3.4" pulley makes intercooling a necessity. My series 3 pushes 260HP stock so with a 3.4" pulley, 3" exhaust, N* 75mm TB, LS1 85mm MAF and the custom 3.5" K7N CAI system I'll bet that I'm close to the 300 HP mark.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2008 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
Get this and call it a day.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/044717.html

Greg
i151

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2008 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for i151Send a Private Message to i151Direct Link to This Post
im sorta tossin around the idea of the 4T65E swap...i have found mounts but is there any significant wiring that needs to be done besides the speedo? and what about axles, i've read u can use "these" axles, and then also read something contradicting using "these" axles.. the cars already swapped to a 3800sc keep in mind.

[This message has been edited by i151 (edited 12-14-2008).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2008 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

im sorta tossin around the idea of the 4T65E swap...i have found mounts but is there any significant wiring that needs to be done besides the speedo? and what about axles, i've read u can use "these" axles, and then also read something contradicting using "these" axles.. the cars already swapped to a 3800sc keep in mind.

You have to add in the extra wires that are needed to run the PCM. I can't give you anay details more then that cause I don't mess with the wiring part of the swap. The axles are pretty easy as you use a stock DRV side Fiero auto axle for the driver side and then you build the Pass side. There are a few ways to build the Pass axle but I will tell you the way I do it. I use the 2 donor axles and a manuel Fiero outer hub.
i151

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2008 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for i151Send a Private Message to i151Direct Link to This Post
well today i was playin around and i def. busted my clutch. but im thinkin i might have took the tranny with it..unless its a shifter linkage problem...its really hard to get to go into gear sometimes. but sometimes if u wiggle the shifter as ur putting it into gear it will go..but it doesnt try to grind or anything..so either find another 5speed or go 4T65E?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock