Started on: 11-30-2008 06:04 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 11-30-2008 08:30 PM
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
When doing an engine swap or relocating the 500 harness, you will need to open and remove the glue filled pass through connector so you can easily remove/add wires to your harness.

The glue that was used to seal the space between the wires and this connector (or grommet) is very tough and difficult to work with. Boiling hot water will soften it to the point removal is quite easy (and not sticky). For the engine side harness, I normally take the entire harness into the house and use the kitchen stove (yes, the wife "loves it" when I do this) for ready access to the boiling water.

BOILING WATER is HOT and will make the harness, plastic and glue HOT too... I do this without any gloves, but for those with more sensitive skin, you probably want to wear gloves.

For the 500 harness pass through connector, it is much easier to bring the boiling water to it.

First boil a big pot of water and take it to the fiero and rest it on a piece of wood and keep the hot pot away from anything that will melt. Place the pass through connector into the hot water for about 1 minute.

After 1 minute in the water, pull it back out and used a flat screw driver to pry the black and grey parts of the connector apart and remove them from the harness.

You will now be left with a block of glue surrounding the wires.

Back into the hot water it goes for another minute.

Once removed, take a flat screwdriver and lay the shaft of it perpendicular to the wires at the edge of the glue. Gently push the screwdriver into the glue seperating a large chunk of the glue fron the wires. Pull this chunk away and do the other 3 edges of the glue until you are left with just a little glue around the grey wire seperator.

Back into the hot water for 1 more minute, then pull the wires one by one from the wire seperator and pull as much glue off the individual wires as possible. Now you have a harness free of the pass through connector:

And a pile of glue chunks ready for the trash.

Take the pot of water back to the kitchen and clean it to remove any glue residue (will help keep the wife in good spirits).

If anyone else has some other methods to remove the glue from the firewall connectors please feel free to share.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sanderson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
I just throw the whole wiring harness in the oven @250 'F for about 15 minutes.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sanderson:

I just throw the whole wiring harness in the oven @250 'F for about 15 minutes.

...and bake to a crispy golden brown.

J/K!
86stealthfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
lol yeah that would definetly get some choice words exchanged but the boiling water works well though.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Seals It makes a number of solid 1 and 2 part weatherproof aluminum/neoprene grommets in different sizes for running wires through the firewall. I used a 3" circular 2 pc grommet to run the GTP PCM connector with harness into the passenger compartment. Summit Racing Equipment carries the Seals It line. These grommets are not cheap but they do the job well.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock