Horn button repair or where to find? by Nilknarf
Started on: 11-09-2008 10:03 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Hudini on 11-10-2008 07:20 AM
Nilknarf

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NilknarfSend a Private Message to NilknarfDirect Link to This Post
The ring on my steering wheel that holds the horn button on is cracked in two right around the six o'clock position. Also two of the three notches that are supposed to hold the button on are worn, so the horn button keeps falling off. I tried to get this part from my local pontiac dealer but they said the part was discontinued. I know this sounds stupid but even if I could get this part, I would not even know how to go about putting it back on as it seems like the ring is attached with rivets. Can I fix this or do I need to just find another steering wheel that has this part intact. Oh I don't know if it matters but it is a 88 GT.

[This message has been edited by Nilknarf (edited 11-09-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Is there room to sand the back side, apply some JB weld and some plastic screen or something to reinforce it.
Or both side if there is room.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
the 3 "fingers" of the horn button do not grab on to the plastic part. they grab the metal part under it.
that's not a problem.
you just need to bend the "fingers" so they grab the steering wheel better.

but
you are missing the plunger.
your horn will never work without that.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 11-10-2008).]

Nilknarf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NilknarfSend a Private Message to NilknarfDirect Link to This Post
I tried bending the "fingers" but the tab on the steering wheel on the lower right has so much plastic broken off of it (see picture) that the horn button wont lock on just keeps falling off. I have all the other parts ie:the plunger and the spring, i took it off so i would not lose it

[This message has been edited by Nilknarf (edited 11-10-2008).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
those "fingers" dont clip on to the plastic part.
they reach deeper than that and clip on to the metal part.
Nilknarf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NilknarfSend a Private Message to NilknarfDirect Link to This Post
Now that makes sense now why the button kept falling off. I went and tried it (without the plunger) and the button snaps on and stays. Second question then, are there different kinds of plungers for different years? When I purchased my 88 GT it did not have a plunger assembly and I bought one off of ebay. I could not get it to fit with the horn button on almost like the plunger rod was too long. I dont know if I was putting the plunger in wrong or I have the wrong one? I appreciate the help so far I just want my horn to work... so many idiots out there in SUV's that cant see us in out in our low fieros I could have used it a lot.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
the spring goes in the hole first. all by itself.

then you take the pin and plastic holder and put them in.
the pin is now "spring loaded" and will push against the back of the horn button when you put it in place.

be prepaired for it to honk at you while you put the horn button in place.
Nilknarf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NilknarfSend a Private Message to NilknarfDirect Link to This Post
I guess I had all the parts all along, just did not know how to put it together. Thanks for your help buddycraig.

Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Here is a detailed look inside the column if you need it:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock