rear hatch key/lock problem by dsalmen
Started on: 11-06-2008 07:14 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: FieroFanaticFromHolland on 11-15-2008 06:38 PM
dsalmen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsalmenSend a Private Message to dsalmenDirect Link to This Post
The key lock on my rear engine hatch has stopped working. Pretty sure my car does not have the electrical switch to open it - just the key lock. I had replaced it a number of months back, and it worked up until last weekend. The key goes in and turns further than it used to without the "click". Messed with it for a while with no luck - was trying not to twist off the key. Any ideas on how to get it open to see what went wrong without drilling it out?

Thx,
dave s

------------------
87 notchback w/ stroked 3.4

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-06-2008 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like something went wrong with the rod that connects the key to the actual latch. There's not a real good way to get into the trunk so I don't have any advice to offer other than you will probably have to destroy the lock to get to the latch with a screwdriver. New locks are available and you would simply have it rekeyed to match your doors by a locksmith.

JazzMan
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, just to add to this, you'll want to drill through the center of the lock with a drill bit. That's the only way you can get through it without damaging the trunk lid.

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convt. (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1981 EZ-GO Xi875-A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 350

dsalmen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2008 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dsalmenSend a Private Message to dsalmenDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info - will try the drilling and screwdriver approach this weekend.

dave s
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2008 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by dsalmen:

Thanks for the info - will try the drilling and screwdriver approach this weekend.

dave s

Let us know how it goes. I recommend you put tape around the opening of the lock... masking tape, just to be sure.

The last thing you want is to accidentally nick the paint with your power drill.

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convt. (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1981 EZ-GO Xi875-A "Miami Dolphins" Medical Cart
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 350

dsalmen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsalmenSend a Private Message to dsalmenDirect Link to This Post
Drilled through without damage to the trunk lid. I can see the little arm that the lock mechanism would have connected to. Using a small magnetic pickup tool I can move it around a little and just get a very small needle nose pliers on it. It looks like the straight end of the rod is to the left and the end with the "twist" is what I can just grab onto. Tried turning it a few times without much luck. Not much room to maneuver and trying not to destroy it. Any idea which way to turn it?
dsalmen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsalmenSend a Private Message to dsalmenDirect Link to This Post

dsalmen

87 posts
Member since Oct 2005
Note - not sure if the lock rod is where it is supposed to be, or if it fell out of position when I drilled through. Found another post on the forum that says if the lock rod dropped to try to use a long screwdriver where the lock rod would go and try to give it a turn. Trying to find a brighter light to see if I can see what is going on in there...
dsalmen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dsalmenSend a Private Message to dsalmenDirect Link to This Post

dsalmen

87 posts
Member since Oct 2005
The hatch is open !!!

Turns out that the lock rod was no longer attached. Must have "re-oriented" when the drill bit went through the lock cylinder and was just sort of laying in there crossways.

The good news is that I was able to use a narrow regular screwdriver to open the hatch. Note - the slot to insert the screwdriver was toward the top of the hole I drilled. Had to use a bright light and fish around a little to find it. Was never so relieved in my life when I heard the click and she came open.

Now, the important question: I have a spare lock cylinder and new lock rod from the Fiero Store. What I do not have is the clip to hold the two together. Any idea what type of clip is used to hold the lock rod to the slot in the back of the lock cylinder?

Thx,
dave s
FieroFanaticFromHolland

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanaticFromHollandSend a Private Message to FieroFanaticFromHollandDirect Link to This Post
the rod is held down to the lock by some kind of spring, little difficult to explain without a pic, but its a circulair one around the back of the lock...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock