Started on: 10-17-2008 11:47 AM
Replies: 56
Last post by: sparx22 on 10-31-2008 07:37 PM
vinny

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
Noooo. Some folks are so good or have been doing it so long that they have a hard time making thier paint repair look the same as the factorys (orange peel). I'ts crazy. If you have a fender bender and get it fixed the orange peel may not match. I'm basicle saying the factory usually has alot of orange peel that is ok to them and a paint shop painter has to match it. Most good painters have gotten to know their equipment and product well enough to adjust it out. Not me though! I just keep peeling and peeling and peeling!

Vinny

[This message has been edited by vinny (edited 10-21-2008).]

IP: Logged
sparx22

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by vinny:

Noooo. Some folks are so good or have been doing it so long that they have a hard time making thier paint repair look the same as the factorys (orange peel). I'ts crazy. If you have a fender bender and get it fixed the orange peel may not match. I'm basicle saying the factory usually has alot of orange peel that is ok to them and a paint shop painter has to match it. Most good painters have gotten to know their equipment and product well enough to adjust it out. Not me though! I just keep peeling and peeling and peeling!

Vinny

As crazy as that sounds Vinny it is a fact. Mopar back in the late 60's early 70's had some serious orange peel. I still loved my '71 Challenger though.
sparx22

[This message has been edited by sparx22 (edited 10-21-2008).]

vinny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to have a 70-74 challenger. My dad had 70R/T 440 4-speed. It was plum crazy purple with no options. Had hubcaps

Vinny
sparx22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post
I wish I could have mine back, even if it only had a 318.
It was the lighter green, green interior, and a green vinyl top. The BS oil crisis back in '74 fooled me into selling it, had about 40K on it. Was one the nicest driving cars I ever owned. Darn thing did vapor lock in damp weather now and then.

Yeah got it new for about $3200.00 bucks (or so), hard to remember exactly. Well, those days are long gone.
I wonder if my Mom has a picture or two of that car with me or even without me, I have to ask her.
jim
sparx22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post
If I get this, then I need a 1.6 or maybe a 1.4 tip right?
How much do those cost?
Sparx22

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...em=220297687214&rd=1

[This message has been edited by sparx22 (edited 10-22-2008).]

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Just use an HVLP from harbor freight along with a air filter and a air pressure regulator
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sparx22:

How much do those cost?
Sparx22

If you really want to go that route, spend a little extra and get one from the same seller. They have them with a set of tips for a few dollars more.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-22-2008).]

countach711

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sparx22:

How much do those cost?
Sparx22

I'd go with the Astros, everyone says they ROCK for the money. Did you see this article on HVLP v.s. LVLP? It answers a lot of questions. If I were you I'd probably go with this LVLP set http://www.spraygunworld.co...0EVO4014%20Combo.htm or this HVLP set if you think your compressor can handle HVLP (I have a similar compressor to yours and it struggled to keep up using HVLP) http://www.spraygunworld.co...c%20-%20QULauto1.htm If you can afford, I assume the slightly more expensive models are even better. I painted my car with a Harbor Freight HVLP and it worked great http://www.harborfreight.co...taf?Itemnumber=43430 Make sure you clean your cap on top of the cup (read air hole) each time you stop to refill or change materials. I forgot on the final coat of clear and it made the paint 'spit' out dryly from the gun. Up until that point it had been going on beautifully, but then life's a b*(^@ isn't it?

Here's a couple vehicles I painted. The real trick is in the finishing... now there's where you'll have a lot of questions!

[This message has been edited by countach711 (edited 10-23-2008).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Just remember MOST guns with replacable tips are brand specific. You have to buy any other tips of the same brand, rarely will they interchange.
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Ha, thats the exact harbor gun i have

You really do not need an expensive gun or expensive products to make a good paint job. It is all in the prep work.

[This message has been edited by Chris Hodson (edited 10-24-2008).]

86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
i just found this thread and had questions about spray guns ive seen the ones at walmart that had came with both and harbor freight had some and was wanting to know if anyone had experience with either of them. my compressor is a single stage 15 gallon is painting my car going to be a panel off procedure.
PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Really its all in the prep work, there are differences in guns but its personal preference - once you have used enough guns you start to get a feel for what you like. Spraying consists of being aware of speed, overlap and distance from work. Most HVLP's run at ~ 18 psi going in so if you can supply that consistently you should be good.

Word of advice.. Dont use single stage paint on anything you want to look good and last.

It takes about 9 coats of product in a complete paint job. And you CAN get good results with cheap product. Like i said, its all in the prep work, spraying goes quick and is only about 20% of the work needed in a complete paint job. Dont rely on 1 product to much or you will get bad results in regards to aesthetics and durability.

If you have questions feel free to PM me
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
thanks so then my compressor should be good to use. most of the prep work is done im currently in the final stages of prepping but i was concerned about my compressor size.
sparx22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post
I am still stuck between LVLP EVO 4014 -4018 and the Devilbiss finishline HVLP. I just wonder if LVLP will be a burden in laying paint down quickly enough?
Then again I don't want a big cloud of paint as I get with my old siphon feed gun.
sparx22
Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2008 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
I use a DeVilbiss Aces Wild #GFG-670 Tom Prewitt gun, works great. Compressor is a single stage 60 Gal.
http://www.autorefinishdevi...m/products.php?pg=22

[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 10-29-2008).]

anwalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2008 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anwalkerSend a Private Message to anwalkerDirect Link to This Post
I used the finish line gun and didnt really like the way it atomized paint. I think my Astro Evo does a much better job with a lot less mess. I said it before, the astro is reallllly slow to lay down the paint and the best usable fan is about 8" while maintaining an even distribution of paint (especially with pearls and metallics). The finish line gun doesnt atomize as well but will lay down paint fast. Again if you are willing to cut and buff you can get away with murder on the clear work.
sparx22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post
Well I ordered this gun: http://autobodystore.net/Me...s&Category_Code=5SPL

It is more than I wanted to spend, but my compressor should keep up with it and the price was very good comparing around the web and at my local paint shop.

It was suggested to me to get a low price gun for primer and not use the above gun.
I looked at this http://www.harborfreight.co...af?Itemnumber=43430, but the nozzle size is only 1.37" and I believe that is too small for leveling primer.

sparx22
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock