Started on: 10-04-2008 11:37 PM
Replies: 59
Last post by: 86GT3.4DOHC on 10-11-2008 03:37 PM
86GT3.4DOHC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

yes the engine will idle for 5 to 10 min with fuel pressure reading 0 fuel pump fuse out

Anyone want to explain this one to me?

I can vouch that the engine will NOT run for any length of time without the fuel pump running, under normal circumstances. As I said, I pull the FP fuse as a means of theft deterrance. I have, on more than once occassion, forgotten to put it back in. The engine will fire right up like nothing is wrong, run for a few seconds, then putter out. It will continue to spit and spudder, but it will not run well, or for any length of time, without the FP fuse in.

As for the ALDL interface, here is the site with the software and background
http://winaldl.joby.se/

And here is the page for building the interface

You will need 2 or 3 10k resistors, and a NPN switching transistor, 2n2222 or 2n3904 are both very common. Also get a female serial connector. All of this should be available at your local radioshack (though they will probably not know what a transsitor is, they have it)

Connect them all up as shown, if you dont have a soildering iron or dont know how, just get a breadboard while you are there.
IP: Logged
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
computer no seiral port on my laptop
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
you can get a serial to USB adapter. tripplite makes them.
Nosferatu187

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Anyone want to explain this one to me? <snip>

I'm pretty sure nobody CAN explain it. I was thinking maybe engine man was mistakenly pulling the wrong fuse but then he says there's 0 fuel pressure.

????

Mike

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
No it is the right fuse it is the top fuse second in from the left just like my fiero service manual shows and you can hear the pump shut off due to it runs all the time due to a bad oil pressure sending unit so I have to pull it just to shut it down when the cars not runing

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-08-2008).]

mrsleeve91

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrsleeve91Send a Private Message to mrsleeve91Direct Link to This Post
Wow i had the problem with my 3.4 dohc! But had changed alot of things like 1/2" fuel lines and rails, lowered comp. Areomotive A100 pump ect. but w/ the stock computer and stock inj. it would not run with the fuel pluged in. I would prime it then unhook it and it would start right up and idle for 5-10 MINUTES! I could even rev it upand the A/F wouldn't drop below 13:1, ( I have a wide band o2 ) with the pump unhooked it would idle w/ A/F around 12.5:1 and I tried pluging in the pump once it was started and it would stop right away, like you turned off the key.

I even tried a re-man computer, same issues with no codes...

I planned to use the stock comp. durring break inn, but I swithed it over to my fuel mangament hopping to figure it out or solve the problem. while its better with the FM but its still has something wrong.

Just wanted to confirm its possible, I showed several people ( mechanics and engineers) all couldn't belive.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I hope that you get it figured out I know no one belives me except you thanks I feel the pain

mrsleeve91

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrsleeve91Send a Private Message to mrsleeve91Direct Link to This Post
Oh man! I was hoping you would figure it out! lol
With all the cranking / poor runing and oil cooler turbo lines ect. mine spun a bearing, So its coming all apart again.
Thinking about trying the stock computer again to solve that, I have a feeling it will be easier to tune after.
Side note, I have a NOID light and on all 6 inj. tested good. even had the stock inj cleaned and flow tested, all were very very close and were good.

Ill be following this thread
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I went to the junk yard to day just to take a look around fund another fiero gona take the tps, iac, map and fuel railwith fuel presure reg and try them one at a time gona get them this week end
edmjay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edmjaySend a Private Message to edmjayDirect Link to This Post
I had a bit of a thought regarding why it keeps running with no fuel pressure.. may be right off the wall here, but might as well speak up.. considering all the trouble that has been with this car, and likely alot of cranking, etc... is it possible that there is enough fuel in the crankcase that it's running off that through the pcv?? I've seen alot of cars where there was so much fuel in the oil the fuel trim was way out of whack (barely running the injectors because it has so much extra fuel), but never have I heard of one running just off crankcase gas alone..
like I said, just a thought... who knows, stranger things have happened... try pulling your dipstick out, give it a smell, or hold a lighter to it... if she burns, your oil's full of gas... if not, disregard my random thought for the day!

-Jay

EDIT - spelling

[This message has been edited by edmjay (edited 10-08-2008).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the thought there was a lot of fuel in the oil so i changed it due to i was afraid it was going to hurt the engine and the engine might be hurt

PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
The only explanation I can figure is that the engine is sucking fuel out of the injectors, pulling it up the lines.

That or there is something powering the pump that shouldnt be. I would try unplugging the 3 wire connector in the middle of front of the engine bay, that is the fuel pump connector. Unplug that would confirm there was no power getting to the pump.
BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
let us know if it keeps on with the running 0 pressure.
wow there must have been a lot of fuel in that crankcase.
make sure you shoot some oil in the cylinders and free spin the engine to get the compression back up
or you will have to end up changing the oil again.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
ok will do tomorow night after work
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
It still ran after pulling that plug but it has a spun rod bearing so I am not going to rebuild gona do a engine swap it will be a 3800 due to parts to make it go fast need no adaptor plate will need to do a wiring harnes or pay some one to do it
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I got it to run I put the other set of injectors back in with a new fuel rail and pressure reg it idles. to bad it's got a bad rod bearing I dont know exactly what was rong but i tried a TPS that dint do any thing the injectors well i had them in there once and it dint run so the only thing is the presure reg and fuel rail
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Another question?

Did you say that the pump would continue to run even with the motor off? Could be the reason you found fuel in the oil. I think you mentioned the pressure regulator. If the regulator is bad, will it aloow fuel to pump into / through the injectors? I know very little about the injector/fuel system but would like to know what the problem was. Sorry to here about the bad bearing.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
No the injectors are closed intill you start turning the engine over then they fire to let the fuel in if you have a bad injector it wont hold fuel pressure. If you have a bad fuel presure regulator fuel could be sucked up past it that is what i think was happening

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-11-2008).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
went out got some fuel for it today and started it up runing realy rich but it runs now dont know if it is due to i put 3.4 dohc injectors in and may bee making it to rich but it has a slight rod knock wich i am sure when it gets all the way up to temp it will be worse
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
It will run way rich with DOHC injectors, as they dump in %25 more fuel, since the ECM thinks its still running 15lb injectors.

With a blownout regulator, fuel can go right through the diaphram and into the vaccum line, where it travels back to the intake and down into the cyls. This will not cause fuel in the oil itself, but when you flood the engine or run it overly rich, fuel will wash down the cyl walls, seeping past the rings into the oil, and causing accellerated piston\bore wear
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock