Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  I'm doing the cerulean Vibe Radio conversion, guess what no unlock codes needed.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

I'm doing the cerulean Vibe Radio conversion, guess what no unlock codes needed. by Curlrup
Started on: 09-08-2008 08:51 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 09-23-2008 07:51 PM
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
I saw that member cerulean did a great Pontiac Vibe radio mod.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../067014-24.html#p925

The Vibe radio has dumbed down electronics to work in the Toyota chasis. I bought an 04 radio off ebay for $36 shipped, and a 6 dollar pigtail harness. Works great I hooked it up to a 12 volt supply and a speaker to check it out, sounds good and the best thing was, I didn't have to get any codes to unlock it. It fired right up took a cd and started playing. I hope to document my conversion because there is some surgery involved to get the Vibe radio to fit. More later when I have pics.

Curly

*edit* I need to add that the Vibe radio with the pigtail is almost a direct plug-in replacement. So a newer factory radio that will work with out major wiring.

[This message has been edited by Curlrup (edited 09-08-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for bringing this up, I totally missed his post. I was under the impression none of the later units would work due to security. I don't like the looks quite as much, the the MP3 capability would sure be welcome.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
The reason I got said radio for so cheap was some of the graphics had worn off the buttons. Just so happens I know how to refinish the buttons and put the graphics back on. I can make graphic rub-downs that look just like a pad print. I am even putting a nice Fiero logo in that empty spot on the front where it says MP3 on ceruleans mine is blank. Should look stock and custom.

Illustrator where graphics are laid out on a negative for rub downs.

[This message has been edited by Curlrup (edited 09-08-2008).]

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Curlrup

2590 posts
Member since Apr 2007
So it would look like this after I'm done

Photoshoped.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
What's needed to make these rub-downs? Would they work for switch labels and the like?
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

What's needed to make these rub-downs? Would they work for switch labels and the like?

You need a lot it is a very long drawn out process with chemicals, and inks, and photemulsions. I have the set-up at work I use it for making graphics for prototypes. The rub-downs would work on switches if you sprayed a good automotive clear coat over them.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the tip...I'll have to file this away in my memory banks.

I wonder if the AVEO radio is dumbed down to work with the Daewoo electronics? It's a nice 6 disc changer with MP3. That would be a nice mod for a Fiero.
Ken_86gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken_86gtSend a Private Message to Ken_86gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Thanks for the tip...I'll have to file this away in my memory banks.

I wonder if the AVEO radio is dumbed down to work with the Daewoo electronics? It's a nice 6 disc changer with MP3. That would be a nice mod for a Fiero.

I know that the other Aveo hatchback radios are electrically no problem. I had the regular AM/FM and then the CD/MP3 with the Aux jack, but I took them out because they sounded so bad.
cerulean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ceruleanSend a Private Message to ceruleanDirect Link to This Post
How cool is that! I have a conversion named after me....
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cerulean:

How cool is that! I have a conversion named after me....

Right up there with Haley's Comet.

Ron
Small town fool

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Small town foolSend a Private Message to Small town foolDirect Link to This Post
Will I get impaled in the back if I mention I put a chrysler CD/tape combo in my 86 coupe??
PFF
System Bot
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Small town fool:

Will I get impaled in the back if I mention I put a chrysler CD/tape combo in my 86 coupe??

Is it an EVIL Chrysler CD/Tape combo?
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Curlrup

2590 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Here is the rework of my radio

The buttons were a little worn, that's why the radio was $20. So I sanded them smooth to eliminate any seam under the new paint

Then it was match a base coagt to the front color, I think I did pretty good. I match about 5 colors a day by eye at work so this one was easy.

Here is the sheet of rubdown graphics I made

Here are the rub downs on the radio.

Here is the finished radio ready to go in the car. I textured a thick PPG Concept clear coat over the entire face(except the display) to protect the new graphics.

Now Ineed to start the install thread after work.

Curly
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
I pulled one of these cd players out of an 04 Toyota Matrix today, they look pretty good and it was cheap. Does any one have the wiring pin outs for these radios. Thanks Dan
cerulean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ceruleanSend a Private Message to ceruleanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

I pulled one of these cd players out of an 04 Toyota Matrix today, they look pretty good and it was cheap. Does any one have the wiring pin outs for these radios. Thanks Dan

Hi Dan,

If you didn't get the connector with your radio, I used a connector like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Reverse...ksid=p3286.m20.l1116

You can search on the Genvibe.com forum for pinouts and other info on the radio. The Matrix radios are the same as the Vibe's radio though 2004.

Bob

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
the Aveo radio doesnt have any signals making it only work on the aveo. my aveo came with just the AM/FM radio. that drove me nuts. so i put my carputer in and a 7" touch screen inplace of the radio. its super sweet. now i get to play all 8000 songs of mine with the ability for 7.1 surround sound. it wont ever make it that far tho lol.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT built by my brother, merlot566jka, 3500 LX9 from 06 Malibu, WOT-TECH.com 1280 grind stage 3 cam, LS6 valve springs, 1227730 ECM conversion, Darrel Morse solid aluminum cradle mounts, Truleo headers modified to fit the 3500, 36# inectors, 70mm 4.3 throttle body adapted to 3500 intake, ported heads, upper and lower intakes, lightly polished, tcemotorsports.com crank trigger wheel, CenterForce dual friction clutch, Flowtech Afterburner muffler, 2.5" piping, cat deleted, EGR deleted, SinisterPerformance tuning, C6 Corvette exhaust tips. projected to be 35 MPG with a guesstimate of 250 hp at the motor

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock