Started on: 07-18-2008 05:59 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Pyrthian on 10-24-2008 08:34 AM
Intel

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2008 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post
Hi,
Today I replaced a few parts on my fiero and thought it would be a great opportunity to install a Moog K928 Kit on the rear suspension since the car is lowered pretty much and has KYB's.
I opened the package and a bunch of washers fell out.
I know the kit is replacing the lower bolt that's in the elongated hole but what combination of washers am I supposed to use on the fiero? The instructions doesn't mention the fiero body type.
The washers included are: 2 regular flat, 2 with tabs on them to go into the elongated holes and 1 locking washer.
The only thíng I am sure of is the locking washer that's going on just before the nut.
Does anyone know for sure what washers to use on the fiero?

------------------

J. Larsson, Supporting Member

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2008 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
I would stack them like this.
Bolt, flat washer, a tabed one next. Install through strut, then followed with one tabed, flat, lock washer and nut.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2008 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
What he said ^

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2008 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
For the rear struts, I prefer these bolts from www.NAPAonline.com - PN NCP2643609

www.rockauto.com has the equivalent Spicer unit PN 6161014
http://www.rockauto.com/cat...52,pgname,Suspension

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2008 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The elongated holes on the strut usually provide enough adjustment to set a proper camber. If they don't then the offset bolts that you see here are the solution. I would not use them unless you can't make the adjustment.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
These camber adjustment bolts make it so much easier to adjust the camber because all you have to do is turn the bolt either clockwise or counterclockwise to however much postive or negative camber you want. So much easier than than actually pushing the strut in or out and then checking your camber and then readjusting. You can also get these bolts from TireRack.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, the Moog kit doesnt give much adjustablity. the throw on them is very short.
Intel

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post
Well I had the car in for an alignment and the guy at the shop said I needed a bit more adjustment on the rears so that's why I bought the kit.

I just tried putting them on with and without the regular flat washers and couldn't notice any difference so I'm going to use all of them. I marked the original position on the spindle and this kit gives me roughly 3-4 mm more adjustment.

Thanks!

sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Intel:
I know the kit is replacing the lower bolt that's in the elongated hole but what combination of washers am I supposed to use on the fiero? The instructions doesn't mention the fiero body type.

That is the problem I ran in to. The instructions do not mention a GM "P" body. Does the cam bolt go in the upper or lower strut hole?

Any other tips?

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I've never seen that style. When I did my suspension I used the ones like Fierosound posted and they worked great.

If you look at the Rock Auto Website the cam bolt you show is only good for 1 to 1.25 degrees. The Ones that Fierosound posted are good for up to 3 degrees. Look under the "Alignment section" for the Spicer part.

SPICER Part # 6161014 {Professional Grade}
Rear Suspension; Up To Plus / Minus 3 Degrees Camber; Single Offset

MOOG Part # K90476
Rear Suspension; Lower Strut Mount; Fast Cam/Bolt Kit; adjustment range from -1 to +1 Deg.

MOOG Part # K928
Rear Suspension; Lower Strut Mount; Problem Solver; Magna Cam/Bolt Kit; adjustment range from -1-1/4 to +1-1/4 Deg.

The other thing that helps get the alignment dialed in when you lower the suspension is the adjustable upper ball joints for the front:
MOOG Part # K5292
Front Suspension; Upper; Problem Solver; adjustable ball joint; adjustment range from -1 to +1 Deg.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:
That is the problem I ran in to. The instructions do not mention a GM "P" body. Does the cam bolt go in the upper or lower strut hole?

Any other tips?

they go in the slotted hole. I think it is the bottom.

and, yes - I find these new camber bolts - while really really cool - dont give enough throw. they got about 1/2 what the original cam'd washers can do.

[This message has been edited by Pyrthian (edited 10-24-2008).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock