Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Saxman's 88 Formula Engine Replacement (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
Saxman's 88 Formula Engine Replacement by Saxman
Started on: 11-12-2007 06:18 PM
Replies: 267
Last post by: hookdonspeed on 03-12-2009 10:55 AM
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2009 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:
Remember the rules of bolt torque --- tighten till it strips them back off 1/4 turn! If you need help on Sunday let me know tonight by 9 I'm available to help. You must / will have a running Fiero for the 25th!
Steve

Thanks, Steve. Problem may be that I did just that. As soon as I felt it give a little, I stopped, but it felt pretty solid. I sure hope that was only a figment of my imagination and not a stripped bolt...

I won't be able to look under there until tomorrow morning, so I won't know if I need to pull everything back out until then - or later. If the bolt is still nice and tight, I'll just try loosening both bolts, then shifting the starter in the opposite direction to see if it lines up.

One thing I did do different was to wrap some tape around the shims so that they stayed together when I put them back in. Perhaps that clear tape is too thick and is keeping the teeth from engaging all the way. I guess I can take the shims out and remove the tape to see if that helps.

...so frustrating
IP: Logged
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2009 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005

Originally posted by MarineFiero:
Well I'm here to help if you need me. A bit of a thanks for all your help with mine

I appreciate it!
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
My wife is picking up a new tank of Propane on the way home so I will have some heat in the garage. More to come.

{Man - that floor is going to be COLD!]
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
... put down a blanket or something duh... or or or...cover the floor with gas and light it and let it burn off, bet it wont be cold then!
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
OK - I got under there. Good news! I had not put the bolt in far enough! I guess I was worried about stripping it out when I was putting it in, so I just tightened it snug.

Now that I was under the car, I can see that the inside bolt could go further. Since I also knew that I could use a helicoil to fix it if I went too far, I gave it a good tight fit and nothing slipped.

The teeth engaged and the car started right up! The starter is REALLY loud when it is turning, so it must need some additional adjustment. At least it starts each time - so far.

Any guesses as to why it is so loud? It really buzzes my ears when the starter is going.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
The starter is telling you to stop working on the car now that it is running so that it can show up at F.I.E.R.O !! But -- when is it making the noise - at the time of engagement or is it making noise after you are running? Is this an old unit? Was it a problem prior to the latest engine out & in? Is it the correct starter for the flex plate you just swapped? I've never checked into a parts interchange list for a swap like you have done but hooking a newer powerplant to a 20+ year old trans that required a change of flex plate just might need a different starter.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

The starter is telling you to stop working on the car now that it is running so that it can show up at F.I.E.R.O !! But -- when is it making the noise - at the time of engagement or is it making noise after you are running? Is this an old unit? Was it a problem prior to the latest engine out & in? Is it the correct starter for the flex plate you just swapped? I've never checked into a parts interchange list for a swap like you have done but hooking a newer powerplant to a 20+ year old trans that required a change of flex plate just might need a different starter.

That same starter lined up and sounded fine when this same engine was in the car with the wrong flexplate. Both are the same diameter, so I guess adding the clear tap around the shims (to hold them together) may have moved the starter too far out. I will check the flexplate teeth after a few more starts to be sure it is not wearing.

Yes, I was thinking I should start it as few times as possible before Sunday I did have to drive it for a half hour tonight and let my wife take it around the neighborhood. She dug it.

Now I need a second set of hands to get those vertical door struts installed...
MarineFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarineFieroSend a Private Message to MarineFieroDirect Link to This Post
I'll do it if need be.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarineFiero:

I'll do it if need be.

We can try it on Sunday, but it may be that I have to pull the front fenders off to get the door high enough to get them on. I already scratched the fender trying to do it myself.

I still need to get the Formula aligned before the 25th so I don't eat up those new tires.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I just took her on her first purposeful drive - to my kids' school to deliver birthday cupcakes. All went well - so she is officially been used on the road by me - Wahoo!

I still need an alignment, but I'll have to wait until next week for the funds. I'll have to risk wearing the tires a bit to drive her to Bolling AFB for the meet Sunday. I guess I might as well leave her there and let the auto hobby shop guys align her - just to see how well they know thier stuff. I'll pull some info from PFF so they have the correct tolerances.

All you guys that offered advice - I thank you. It is much appreciated!
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Saxman I ruined a good set of tires on a 300 mile trip last year. Dont wait to long for an alignment
Joe
PFF
System Bot
uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2009 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
For the cold northern floors find large cardboard box,cut or pull box apart,, use flatened out,, you can use this in place of creeper ,, you can keep it in warm place untill you need it,because it will fold up,,better than blanket ,, also keeps oil off floor ... I have thin berber carpet on floor of garage/carport ..lay cardboard on this
I recon/scout out for suitable box before I need it fold it and keep a few in utility room..
I also keep at least one white box and place these to provide additional light
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:
Saxman I ruined a good set of tires on a 300 mile trip last year. Dont wait to long for an alignment
Joe

Thanks for the advice, Joe. It's a 38-mile trip here and back, so I don't think I'll do much damage to the tread. She's not pulling in either direction. I think it is close to where it needs to be.

Thanks, Stan. I'll keep that in mind.
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2009 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Saxman; I recall that never-ending overheating problem you had in the past and now looking at this project, I got wondering, do ever get to drive a Fiero or just work them? BTW: Good luck with the project.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:
Saxman; I recall that never-ending overheating problem you had in the past and now looking at this project, I got wondering, do ever get to drive a Fiero or just work them? BTW: Good luck with the project.

Yup - this is the first "stock" Fiero I have driven since way back in 2003 (I think).

The V8 Fino was on the road for a while, then I started replacing things on the engine. Now that the fuel tank is cleaned, it just needs the carb cleaned out. It's rebuild time, then she's back on the road, but first I promised my wife I would tile her bathroom floor...

Are you coming up for the Fiero meet in DC on Sunday?
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I pick her up from the alignment guy in a few hours - then I can see how she performs. From what I remember of the two-weeks of driving the 2.8 that was in there before, she really takes off well.

I guess I'll be seeing a bunch of you in DC on Sunday!
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
bring your alignment bill, we can compare, whoever paid more buys the drinks
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
If you want your shims to stay together just put a few dabs of crasy glue while installing them .
this is what i always do even sometime with gaskets .

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 01-23-2009).]

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:
bring your alignment bill, we can compare, whoever paid more buys the drinks

Ha! (not)

I am still having some issues with the car veering to the right under acceleration and to the left when I let off the gas under a heavy pedal. I will check the long bolt on the rear suspension as those sometimes need to be tightened - especially after a poly install.

The front end is too high for my liking, so I have some drop (cut) springs to install. I can also see that the paint on the passenger side needs some polish and tar remover. Gotta get busy!!
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Saxman:

Yup - this is the first "stock" Fiero I have driven since way back in 2003 (I think).

The V8 Fino was on the road for a while, then I started replacing things on the engine. Now that the fuel tank is cleaned, it just needs the carb cleaned out. It's rebuild time, then she's back on the road, but first I promised my wife I would tile her bathroom floor...

Are you coming up for the Fiero meet in DC on Sunday?

Have to work Sunday. Hope it's not too cold for you guys.

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:

If you want your shims to stay together just put a few dabs of crasy glue while installing them .
this is what i always do even sometime with gaskets .

I'll try that - thanks!
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2009 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Do you still have that info I sent to you regarding the Formula Alignment?

I hope she brings you many years of enjoyment. She (and her GT sister) got me through some tough times...

I miss her dearly, I am glad to see that she went to someone that had the skills to keep her going!

-FR
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2009 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:
Do you still have that info I sent to you regarding the Formula Alignment?

I hope she brings you many years of enjoyment. She (and her GT sister) got me through some tough times...

I miss her dearly, I am glad to see that she went to someone that had the skills to keep her going!
-FR

I'll give her back to you for $4000 since she's like family to you!

I can't find any info on the alignment. I looked through all my PMs. If you have something pertinent to this car, please send it.

Did she have a problem pulling either way when accelerating or suddenly letting off the gas after accelerating? Just wondering.

Thanks, Rumor! Let me know when you want to buy her back!
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Here are a few shots of the car with the driver side Lambo strut in. I started installing the new strut in the passenger side only to find the OLD strut still in there, broken off!

The bottom of the strut is still stuck in the lower hole. I have to get a cutting wheel on it because the cotter pin was wedged into the hole when I tried to knock the old piece out - then the bottom of the piece mushroomed, preventing it from coming up and out. The cutting wheel arrives Monday and that should take care of it, but I wasn't expecting to find the old broken (weaker) strut still in there.

I can't wait for the salt to clear from the roads so I can take her back out again! It may be the last ride if the auction goes through on eBay - it ends Monday. I'm still looking for a nice GT or a 3800SC in trade!

The new strut went in fairly easy

I don't like the gap necessary for the doors to clear. I'd much rather have normal hinges, but I guess I'm too tall and too old...

Pardon my messy garage - it's been a year in the messing! It's supposed to be up in the 50's for my birthday tomorrow and I hope to clean things out now that work is pretty much done on this car. I'd really like to get one of those floor-coating deals but the temps are just too low.

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2009 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to add that I have been driving this car into DC regularly now and - WHAT A BLAST!

I can't wait to get a 3800SC one day. I can't imagine driving one of those around. Anyone want to trade?

Andrew
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Saxman:

Ha! (not)

I am still having some issues with the car veering to the right under acceleration and to the left when I let off the gas under a heavy pedal.

Ever figure this out? Mine does it too, and my guess is worn front control arm bushings.

Car looks great!

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Sure did. It was a combination of low air in the rear tires and the lower/long suspension bolt under the spindle- both sides were loose. Someone said to check it and they were right.

Apparently the poly causes them to work loose. A double-nut is recommended.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2009 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
i think i made a mistake when i put my polly on... i used the stong locktight on the bolts, im wondering if ill ever be able to remove htem again lol.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock