Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Fuel tank mod (capacity increase) (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fuel tank mod (capacity increase) by 84Bill
Started on: 05-09-2007 09:13 PM
Replies: 84
Last post by: Dan_Seattle on 01-08-2009 04:22 PM
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Here was my attempt to do something similar w/o modifying the tanks itself (part of my 4.3 swap thread. I also did the math for the fuel expansion.

Unfortunately, my first attempt did not work. The very first fillup was in the 10 gallon range and I routinely fill up 10 to 10.2 gallons. I am pretty sure the snorkle fell off due to vibration in the chassis and lack of a positive means of holding it in place. Eventually, I will pull the tank again and try it again.

You mentioned holding the snorkle in place with RTV. That may be the problem since RTV usually doesn't hold up very well in gasoline. I've been thinking of trying the same thing on my 88 using a product called "ProSeal" that is designed to seal fuel tanks in small planes. It's on my list of things to do the next time I need to drop the tank.........

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1966 Porsche 911
Van's RV-6 airplane-under construction

IP: Logged
Dan_Seattle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan_SeattleSend a Private Message to Dan_SeattleDirect Link to This Post
The snorkel I would think with the little hole in the base would fill when the tank is that full and plug the vent line until the gas fell under the vent line. Seems like the only way to correctly modify the tank is to raise the entry point for the vent line (Shops will do this - Radiator shops etc) and install a seperate expansion tank.

I still cannot find anywhere if the acutal tanks were different from 86' to 87' and later. That right there would be a nice upgrade. There is an 87' locally for $400, 4cyl-5spd and I'll buy it for the tank and tranny and just part the rest out if I can actually use the tank. Hmm, possibilities.
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Supposedly, '84 thru '86 and the '87 (V6) thru '88 (all) were 11.9 gallon. Every reference book I have states the same thing.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
From the 86 Owner's Manual [ 84 through 86 = 10.3 gallons]

From the 88 Owner's Manual [87 and 88 = 11.9 gallons]

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 01-08-2009).]

Dan_Seattle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan_SeattleSend a Private Message to Dan_SeattleDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, it's a worthy upgrade then. An increase of over 10% capacity. Just have to remember to grab the vapor can from a later car as well.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock